Register
Page 1 of 72 12341151 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Default "Star Trek" movies

We talk a lot here about the "Star Wars" movies, but I don't recall seeing much mention of the "Star Trek" movies. I've seen some of them and enjoyed them - perhaps not as much as "Star Wars" but still enjoyed them. I had at one point plans to get them on video, but my frustration at dealing with video tape brought that to a quick end. But now that there on DVD, I might like to have another go at it. I noticed that the first three are out in super special versions - totally worthwhile over the original releases, or just a bunch of added on stuff no one would've missed if it hadn't been added? Are the ones with the "Next Generation" cast up to snuff with the original cast? Any thoughts?

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i'm not a big trek fan, but i've enjoyed some of the next generation shows. the movies have been solid, insurrection (?) good, and first contact (the borg one) were great. i'll probably see nemesis on video. of the 'old school' stuff, 6-the undiscovered country, and 2-wrath of kahn are the best. kahn is priceless for the over-the-top ham-off between shatner and ricardo monteleban. i saw half of number 5, and AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:06 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Yeh some of them are pretty cool. as pointed out 5 is an absolute stinker. 2 and 'first contact' are excellent, I really liked 6 too.

3, 4 'generations' and 'insurecction' are pretty good. 1 was quite tedious if I remember right.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Star Trek movies kick ass. The Next Generation ones are cool. Is this new one the last one ever?
    I am awesome

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:06 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    they're hinting it might be the last NG movie, although I think the reality is more along the lines of 'if we think we can keep wringing money outta people, we'll keep doing it'
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

4 and 6 are my favorites, I thought that 6 was the best all around. I loved it in 4 when Chekov was running around asking people on the street where he could find a nuclear wessle.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member
    The Zephram Cochrane character in "First Contact" was all messed up. According to Star Trek literature and the original Trek episode the character was in, he wasn't like that at all. He was basically a wino in "Contact" driven by financial greed. I had problems with that though the Borg stuff was pretty good. Have to give the edge to #4 "The Journey Home".
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I've seen all of the Star Trek movies. I like Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country and First Contact the best. I like all of them though. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's the deal.

Trek 1-9 is out on DVD. Trek 2 & 3 were re-released in special editions. Bottom line, most places still have the price of the original release of Trek 2 and 3 at a higher price point than the special editions.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is only available in a Director's Edition version. All of the special effects were cleaned up to look impressive again. Some previously deleted scenes were added in, some previously in scenes were deleted. All in all, it's still a long-ass movie that suffers horridly from the time it was made. It was still special enough of an effect to show a shot of space for a really long time so everyone can go, "Oooooo! Space!"

(Note: Trek 1 was originally plotted to be a new television series. Paramount optioned Roddenberry to make it into a movie, however. Many of the episodes scripted for that first season of Star Trek "2" ended up being used for mid seasons of Star Trek: TNG)

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan SE has a new transfer of the film that looks a wee bit better than the old DVD release and a couple extra scenes added in (a reference to a crewman that later dies being related to Scotty, thus setting up his heartbreak at the time, and a point where Kirk refers to knowing more about Federation ships than Khan, foreshadowing the old drop the shields trick).

Star Trek: The Search For Spock SE uses the same old transfer from the first release of the film on DVD and adds the obligitory commentary and crap to the disc. As the original release is often more expensive (and bare bones), you may as well go for the SE version.

They ARE planning on continuing the trend of SE throughout the foreseeable future of the Trek franchise, which means you might want to hold off on getting them on DVD until the SE comes out (since they WILL be less expensive).

Due to the success of the SE of Treks 2 & 3, Paramount is seriously considering asking William Shatner in to do a Director's Edition of Trek 5, redoing all of the special effects in the movie and allowing him to recut it the way he originally intended it to be (as he was the director and, well, the studio vetoed him on a lot of things). This could potentially improve the quality of The Final Fronteer.

BTW, Trek X: Nemesis is going to be in the threaters in the next week. The guy who wrote Gladiator wrote the script for the film (John Logan) and is a self-proclaimed "fanboy" of the series. It's shaping up to be a very good entry into the series. Nemesis was supposed to be the final entry in the TNG films, but Paramount is starting to reconsider (as is Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner, neither of which have much in the way of job options these days) due to the positive feedback they've gotten so far. They've basically said how it does in the theater will determine that.

I'm not shocked about that either. Trek's 2 and 4 were supposed to be the end of the franchise for TOS. That's why they killed Spock in Wrath of Khan. That's why the ending of Voyage Home is so storybook happy.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I only liked two of them:
    Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I didn't like the last one

Star Trek is cool, even the nerdy stuff!

and Star Trek is better written and acted than Star Wars. SW just has the cooler effects.

Star Trek always asks the audience to think a little more than George Lucas [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

can't wait to see the new one! looks creepy [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a huge Trek fan, but not a Trekkie (I refuse to go to the conventions, cause that is lame to me).

At college, if we get bored and it's too cold outside, we break out the Trek movies (or Lord of the Rings) and watch it. It's gotten to the point where we drop Trek or LOTR quotes at the drop of the hat, where it's completely unrelated.

Example: We were playing Halo the other day, and someone took out my overshield. A friend goes, "His shields are down!" and I shouted, "We're cloaking!" and it bought me enough time to kill the others as they fell over laughing.

Wait a second. I'm a fucking NERD!!!!

AGH!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well. I hear Data will die in this one. :sad: I hope not. Otherwise we may wind up with "The Search for Data".

Could be a cool hacking movie, though.
    I've got the cure you're thinking of.<br />------------------<br />Remixed! Van Halen covers done by my band: <br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Dreams.mp3" target="_blank">Dreams</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Panama.mp3" target="_blank">Panama</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Unchained.mp3" target="_blank">Unchained</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/AtomicPunk.mp3" target="_blank">Atomic Punk</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/SomebodyGetMeADoctor.mp3" target="_blank">Somebody Get Me a Doctor</a><br /><br />NEW: Burning Tires and Dr. Love:<br /><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/HearAboutItLater.mp3" target="_blank">Hear About It Later</a>

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wrath Of Khan is a classic. Over the top Shatner and Riccardo with big hair.

First Contact and Insurrection were good but played more their good t.v. episodes.

Star Trek is handicapped much in the same way that the Bond movies are. They are controlled by people with limited vision. I'd love to see what Quinton Tarrantino, James Cammeron,Riddley Scott and Edward Norton could do with the Star Trek concept and charictors.

Part of the hokeyness comes from the creative inbreeding. They need to loosen the reigns and let some fresh blood into the Star Trek world, especially if they expect people to shell out $10 to see their movies. I say this as a die hard Trekkie (only one convention, back in the 1970's).

I'd like to see the origonal blooper reel released on DVD, or has it been?

[ December 06, 2002, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Axxman300 ]
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

11.23.15 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!
    No president puts joy in my life, but Van Halen puts joy in my ears.

Never pet a burning dog.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

One word...

KAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

I always through Trek II was the best one out of all of them. It was well written, and all...