Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

Its been in the news here lately. Should people who are metally disabled/retarded be executed for the crime(murder) they committed? I'm torn on this issue. On one hand I can see the arguement on why we shouldn't execute them but on the other hand I see the other side just as clearly.

An evil act is an evil act. Does it really matter if that evil act is performed by someone who is of at least average intelligence(or better)or by someone who is retarded? Should only people with average or above average intelligence be put to death?
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Well, THAT is sure a can of worms.

I would say no. Permenantly put away, yes. There is no rehabilitation for a mentaly handicaped person and actions like that ARE certainly criminal or evil, but societies laws are made for people that have the ability to understand and follow them. The rest have homes for the criminally insane and its a little icky, but those will have to stay around. I think death would be completely inhumane and taking a giant leap backwards for us as a civilized nation. When a person doesnt hold the ability to recognize ones wrong, its ridiculous for us pose a "punishment" that the person wouldnt understand either.

Now, where is the line drawn in regards to insanity? GREAT question. Its always annoyed me when people get off on the ole' "insanity" plea. Stupid. Retardation is a different story all together. Low intelligence doesnt fly with me either. Stupid criminals should burn just like Bundi, who was a pretty smart fella.

As long as somebody has the ability to understand societies laws, they should also have to be held accountable for actions that go against them. And serve the prescribed punishment as determined by any court in the country.

Whats the specific case thats being debated??
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

I forget which case. I think somewhere in the South. It was just this past week on the news. Some guy on death row has below normal intelligence so his lawyer's don't think he should be executed because of that fact. He doesn't have down syndrome, he's just a little slow. In this case I say fry the fucker. He seems smart enough to retain some lawyers to fight for him, thus, he must be able to tell right from wrong.
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Well, lawyers are appointed if you dont have the $$ or the brains to do it yourself. If he "has the ability" to recognize right and wrong and understand the law....bubye. If not, he should get to know the men in white on a first name basis.

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hmm.
    Didn't Sam Hagar say, "Don't kill them-torture them" ?

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

yeah, in Toronto. But if he has a legit handicap, either way would be just plain mean in my opinion.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For me, the focus of this issue is more financial then moral. Frankly, I knew right from wrong quite well by the time I was 5, as did most of you (I hope!). When that 6 year old in Michigan killed a 6 year old girl, he did wrong. He KNEW it was wrong, and he did it anyway. He walked away...no charges pressed against him.

This is not a good message to send out. I would have executed the 6 year old. (yeah, i know many will think that's cruel, but that's how i feel)

If a person murders someone, I don't care if they are mentally retarded, psychotic, or both; if they don't know that what they did was wrong, or understand it, they still pose a severe threat to society. I think they ought to be executed, as I don't think it's fair for an entire country (well, those of us who pay taxes) to foot the bill for someone else's personal crime. There are too many people in jail as it is, and so many life sentences for killers. We are paying for these people to eat, live, watch cable tv, buy Astroglide, etc etc.

In the Old West, cases like this were settled quickly and severely. If that wasn't the case, the West would have been too overrun with criminals, and that region of the country could not have been settled.

Case in point: a kid 2 years older than me at my high school killed his father. He had an IQ of around 75. (think Forrest Gump level). He was acquitted. When he returned to school, he was a cult hero to many. The administration, teachers, and students were fearful around him because of what he did. If he didn't like you, he would threaten to kill you. Here's an 18 year old kid, who ADMITTED to killing his own father, going around threatening others. The court felt he was too 'dumb' to know any better.

Within 3 months of returning to school, he stabbed a girl 12 times (using scissors) because she turned him down for a date. Luckily, she lived. Once this happened, I came to the conclusion that even my DOG knows right from wrong, as do little kids and mentally handicapped people, so murderers should be eligible for whatever the maximum penalty is in that state, REGARDLESS of their condition. Personally I would hope for the death penalty to lesson a little of the burden on taxpayers, but I must settle for whatever the state allows. Hell, use the extra money not wasted on the prisoners' lifestyles to REWARD someone who has done something good!

The bottom line is knowing right from wrong. A killer is a killer is a killer. They know it's wrong....treat them according to THAT. They should get no special treatment.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

wow, its the first time I think I've ever felt "liberal" around here [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] In comparison to that post, I mean.

Good post Abe. With your examples I agree that the wrong decision was made in that kids case. He knew. So I guess that means that in my book, he should serve any amount of time that anybody else would.

I think I'm talking about people that simply cant decipher right from wrong. That kid was dumb, but he knew damn well what he was doing.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I believe that the legal test for insanity is knowing right and wrong and being able to make that determination at the time of the act...Most insanity pleas don't work because of this high standard...it's like the "cop at your elbow" rule...If you're so damn crazy, why'd you try to hide your actions?..

Look, kids...we sgould work on them...maybe they can be fixed...I think our decency as humans demands that we try to help our children...until a certain age...

After 18, you've had plenty of time to learn right from wrong...As Abe said, most of us did and I'm sure we all remember having an essence of morality from an early age...

You commit a mass murder and you are 16...
    You commit a gruesome rape/homicide and you are 16...

I don't think I'll write to the governor on your behalf...

Sorry...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't believe in the death penalty, but i agree with seenbad. as long as people understand right from wrong, then they should face the consequences. people who are slow differ from people with down syndrome or another type of mental handicap. no matter how bad a "slow" person learns, he/she knows that killing a person is wrong. some people with mental handicaps like autism and down syndrome don't.

Last Online

Did anybody here see the movie "Slingblade?"

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I like them French fried tators, uhm huh.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] this is hitting me too close to home
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ANGEL4U:
    [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] this is hitting me too close to home<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How? Please explain.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    Frankly, I knew right from wrong quite well by the time I was 5, as did most of you (I hope!). When that 6 year old in Michigan killed a 6 year old girl, he did wrong. He KNEW it was wrong, and he did it anyway. He walked away...no charges pressed against him.

This is not a good message to send out. I would have executed the 6 year old. (yeah, i know many will think that's cruel, but that's how i feel)

If a person murders someone, I don't care if they are mentally retarded, psychotic, or both; if they don't know that what they did was wrong, or understand it, they still pose a severe threat to society. I think they ought to be executed, as I don't think it's fair for an entire country (well, those of us who pay taxes) to foot the bill for someone else's personal crime.
    The bottom line is knowing right from wrong. A killer is a killer is a killer. They know it's wrong....treat them according to THAT. They should get no special treatment.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's hope you never have a child with a disablility, lest you have to rethink you're whole statement.
    My 6 year old doesn't have a brain that works like the rest of ours, and I have no crystal ball that says he does or doesn't understand right from wrong.
    He has a greater chance of *escaping* to the street and getting hit by a car, than killing someone.

I can't say how I feel about this topic, it hurts to think about it [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] but your comments are enlightening.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~