Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I don't watch baseball. Never liked it much on TV, but love to play it.

So, I'm doing a volunteer thing at my church after a service yesterday afternoon and I strike up a conversation with this dude. We were just chatting and joking about this and that with our kids etc. and we were both hungry so decided to go grab a bite. Went to a ma and pa burger joint next to the church.

So we were chatting about business a little after he asked me what I did. I volleyed the question his way and he said he was retired....I was like, "dude, your like in your mid thirties, what did you retire from??". He says baseball. No kidding? Turns out he played for the 98' Yankees who went to the world series (and apperently, as I find out later, was the MVP). Wow. I was a little embarassed that I didn't know anything about baseball and didn't recognize him, but he seemed to actually enjoy the anomosity and just small talkin', so no prob there.

Anywhoos, the guy had a great story about his career and how he ended up in NY, and why he retired. It was a really cool lunch.

His name was Scott Brosius.

Anyways, thought you baseball dudes out there would get a kick out of that. I guess he is from this area (NW) originally and has a home here.

Anyways, I really dug having lunch with the fella and getting to hear a little about baseball from the inside view. I have some appreciation for it now.

sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Totally cool, seen! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Brosius was a true diamond in the rough - I miss having him around on my team. I imagine he'd be a great guy to small talk with, and it had to be a thrill experiencing what you did. 'Course, I feel for him having to talk to you, but I won't go there... [img]tongue.gif[/img] (j/k)

Just goes to show that even celebrities like to be able to have a good chat away from the limelight and be the human beings they are underneath the facade, whether it's self-imposed (see : Bonds, Barry) or a good humble spirit like Brosius that is a good man to begin with.

So, when is he joining the links here, bro?

[ September 07, 2002, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

That is an awesome story! Whatever did happen to Scott Brosius anyway?

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by billy007:
    Whatever did happen to Scott Brosius anyway?
    He retired after last season.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Pretty cool. I'm a diehard Yankee fan and was glad that they picked up Brosius. He was a solid third baseman who had some clutch hits in the playoffs. He was one of the few athletes to stay out of trouble.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Very cool indeed!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

ahhhhh! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

brosius was cool fuckin shit man. i miss him!

kickass seenbad!

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

man ..that is awesome ...he was awesome and yes he was mvp...he played friggin' great...
    sounds like a real nice guy too....go yanks!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Originally posted by EVH FANATIC:
    Well, I had kind gathered that much [img]smile.gif[/img] - I was kind of looking for a "why"?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I'm still irked at Brosius for hitting that homer off Trevor Hoffman in the 9th against the Padres in the '98 World Series.

He was an awesome player, no doubt about it, and seems to be a really great guy off the diamond as well. That's even more important. [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for sharing, seen!
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

quote:
    Originally posted by EVH FANATIC:
    Well, I had kind gathered that much [img]smile.gif[/img] - I was kind of looking for a "why"?
    [/QUOTE]Well, I got the "why" from the horses mouth, and it was really interesting. I just didn't post it in the first post to save on my fingers. It was a little complicated, but worth typing out because I thought it was a really a very neat story. Especially to a christian like myself. So if your not a Christian, and don't want an ear full of inspirational type stuff, you may want to tune out now.

He says that growing up, he was fairly agnostic where he believed in God, but really didn't know much about Christianity. His image of God was this big guy in the sky just managing things really, but he did believe. His room mate in college was a Christian and he learned more about Christ from him, and was kind of bugged out a little bit about the whole "born again" thing. He just didn't really quite get it, or was uncomfortable with it (I know how he felt, and think pretty much everybody does). Anyways, he remained good friends with this fellow throughout college and into his professional career when he was with Oakland (I think?). He had some good years and then one really bad one (as a player), and at the same time a really stinky one politically within the league. He was very unhappy and told his wife that he didn't want to play if he had another year like that.

-This is a good time to note that he absolutely hated NY. He never thought it would be a good fit, never thought it would be good to raise a family there (the fans out in the left field bleachers scared him ), and he just didn't like it.

So anyways, he was really coming off of a really stressfull season. During spring training, his mom was hospitalized with her cancer and it was progressing aggressively. He left to go see her. He saw her on a Thursday when the doctors told he and his family that she probably would not make it through the weekend. It hit him pretty hard. He went home to get ready to spend his last days with his mom. So he left, took a shower and returned in a couple hours where his sister met him in the parking lot and gave him the news that his mother had passed while he was at home. This part really got me. He said that he had an overwhelming feeling of panic all the way through him. He was sprinting down the hallways down to the other end of the hospital where the cancer ward was. Breaking through doors in a sprint. He was almost there when he saw a nurse carrying a new born baby through the doors coming his way, and it completely halted him. He froze in his tracks and just stared at this baby going by him and he says that he just felt the presence of God using that baby as a symbolic reminder to him to relax, his mom is ok and is born again (she was a Christian). He continued to mourn of course but the feeling of panic and anxiety had left him, directly by the grace of God. He called his old college roomy to talk about the whole experience became a Christian soon after, not able to deny any longer, the presence of the lord in his life. (he still wonders to this day what that child was doing down in the oncology area of the hospital)

With this change in his life, his contract up and agent out getting the deals done for him, he decided to turn his stress and his entire career over to God. He said this was not easy to do because baseball was always "his" all the way through his life and was leaning towards keeping it to himself, but decided to really turn it over. His agent called and said he was going to the Yankees. Too funny. He hated NY. After a while the idea of the pin stripes warmed up to him and he found himself enjoying a successful season. He also found that there were other Christians on the team that were also reluctant to go there that year. He had fellowship as well as a great year going. He thought, looking upwards, that this was pretty cool and says he felt the words over him saying "you ain't seen nothing yet!" He go to the playoffs and thought/heard the same thing over again. He got to the series and again, he just had a feeling this was not going to stop. They won of course, and he said it was Gods way of telling him "Now, see how much I can bless you if you just LET ME?! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] " lol. He says God took him upside down and sideways, but his faith paid off in the end with the most successful stint in his career.

After his success with the Yankees, he achieved all that he ever wanted to with baseball. He felt that to continue playing ball, he would be playing for himself again meaning his own personal desires. He felt a tug on his heart to retire and spend the time with his family, so he did just that and thanked God the whole way home. He says that he has had absolutely zero regret over his decision, and is really just digging life right now.

I'd say! 36 and retired....suh-weet.

So that was it, thats why he quit playing ball.

[ September 08, 2002, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: seenbad ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

Ok since I'm not Christian, I was told not to read that. LOL! [img]smile.gif[/img]

So why did he really retire? LOL. Just kidding seen. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Even cooler story now, seenbad!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

wow...good story...

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by Brett:
    Ok since I'm not Christian, I was told not to read that. LOL! [img]smile.gif[/img]

So why did he really retire? LOL. Just kidding seen. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I know. lol

Come to think of it, that story could apply to Jews too. Sorry, didn't mean to be exclusive in my transcription.

[ September 10, 2002, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: seenbad ]