Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We were in Japan this time last year, with less than a month to go before
    our move back to the U.S.

Loni and I had just finished watching a TV show (I forget which one now) in
    the living room, sent to us via AFN, that was probably about 6-8 months
    behind what the U.S. was getting. She was channel surfing, and I had just
    jumped on the computer for a quick surf before wrapping things up and going
    to bed. She put it on AFN Atlantic, which showed programs from the East
    Coast, and ended up watching the "Today" show. As soon as she put it on, the
    first image on the screen was of the first tower being hit, and reports were
    made that it was "probably accidental". Then, as we watched it a bit more,
    we saw footage of the second plane hitting the second tower. Our jaws
    dropped, and we both knew this wasn't any "accident".

We turned off the TV, and went into the bedroom and turned on our set in
    there. We watched everything happen, and I heard from the reporter's
    voice-over that he was receiving word that the Pentagon had been hit. We sat
    there in bed completely stunned. I called my parents in L.A., who were still
    asleep, and they were oblivious as to what was happening. Loni and I stayed
    up the rest of the night and watched what we could until we couldn't keep
    our eyes open any longer.

The next morning when I woke up for work, word had already been spread that
    the base was in total lockdown status, nobody in or nobody out. Unless you
    were pertinent to your command, everyone was directed by the Base CO to
    remain at home. You weren't allowed to commute to work by vehicle, whether
    it was your own, base shuttle, or base taxi. You had to walk to work.
    Security was stopping anyone and everyone they saw walking on base,
    questioning where they were going and what they were doing. Everything on
    base, all facilities, were closed until further notice. I had duty that day,
    so I had to go to work. Walking to the ship that morning was very strange.
    The feeling a few of us got while walking to work was unlike anything we had
    ever felt.

Eventually, word was filtered to us that my ship, due to its mission and
    capabilities, was pretty much set to depart with the Kitty Hawk battle group
    within 6-12 hours. We were all sent home to pack our seabags (for an
    indefinite period of time), gather supplies, finalize wills and powers of
    attorneys, and basically get our "houses" in order. The NEX and Commissary
    shelves were practically empty, and the Base Legal Office had a line outside
    that stretched for miles. Prior to all of this, I hadn't been home since the
    morning I went to work. We had all been kept on the ship for about 2 days,
    preparing everything for an eventual deployment.

In the end, it was determined we weren't needed after all, though we were
    still on a 72 hour standby. I didn't ever have a feeling like this, a sense
    of fear, since my twins were born.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

In my apartment, in bed, at college.

Roommate woke me up and told me the WTC and Pentagon was hit by terrorists. I was half asleep, and went into the front room where my other roommates were watching on CNN.

One of the towers collapsed already, and the other was smoking. About 40 minutes later, the other one went down, and I couldn't believe it.

One of my roommates went off to class and came back about 5 minutes later and told us that they cancelled classes at all campuses for the day.

The cafeteria had TVs all over for everyone to watch, and one of the priests said that there would be a mass later in the day.

Things were pretty crazy with the news watching all day. The next day, life started up again.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

DLR: 1984 Sammy: FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DLR: So This is Love, Sammy: The Dream Is Over, Gary: That\'s Why I Love You
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was in bed, in college (louisiana state at the time). i got woken up at around 10:30/11:00CT by a phone call from a mexican guy i knew in the college. i didn't have a tv so he was my only source of news. all he kept saying was "they fucking bombed the world trade centre. they fucking hit the pentagon. we're at war man. i can't believe they fucking did it". i couldn't get out of him who did it or exactly what was happening but i managed to find out throughout the day as i got access to paople's tv's.

it only really hit me when i had my next disaster management class (ironic that it was my 1st class since the attack). the lecturer (a south african) had lost friends in new york but still turned up to give us a short lecture and assignment, that's something i'll always admire in him. i think he knew many of the safety officials and fire chiefs that were in the wtc. seeing slides of people jumping from the buildings will always stay with me. my best wishes go out to all the americans, british, muslims and people of any race, creed or colour affected by the attacks, be they victims, friends or family.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

Home sleeping, it was 6 AM here when it all went down.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 986 Times in 397 Posts

at the gym at 5:30 am with my girlfriend.

we're working out and she glances up to look at the tv's and tells me a plane just hit one of the wtc's. i was like must have been a piper cub or somethin. she said no a jet hit it. i looked up and i couldn't believe what i saw. everyone stopped in the gym and gathered around the tv's. we all saw the 2nd plane hit and i had this horrific feeling...also a great feeling of fear overcame me. then we got word the pentagon was hit. i immediately went into our offices there and called my house to see what was going on beause i knew my mom would be up. she told me bits of what they knew at the time that i didn't hear at the gym. i grabbed my girlfriend and told her we were going home. i told her we're leaving cuz who knows what's going on. i wanted to see her kids off to school safe.

the roads here in southern california were empty that morning. it was the strangest thing. there was no one around, not even on interstate 10. it was surreal, and downright frightening.

i remember driving home and the 10 minute ride seemed like half an hour. every radio station had coverage of the attacks. having grown up in southern connecticut only 70 miles from NYC, and my dad being a firefighter for over 20 years, i felt so close to what had happened. seeing those towers go down made me shudder, i couldn't help but cry. part of me was livid as well.

the next few days were so odd. i swear i was so stressed out from 9-11 for a good month. i felt sick, felt like i couldn't eat or sleep. people everywhere around here were talking about a draft and going to war...it was just all so strange. those days seemed like they stood still. september felt like 3 months last year.

obviously i'll never forget that day

god bless the men and women who protect our country around the clock, and all the firemen, policemen, and rescue workers around the country.

god bless the usa

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

I was in my office - I must've been running a little late or something, because usually I'm in action by 8A, but I don't remember putting "Bob & Tom" on until they were talking about the first plane hitting. But I was in here doing my morning browsing as I always do - including this site - when they started talking about a second plane hitting. Well, I knew this would be a big deal so I went out and put on the news - probably CNN - and was pretty much transfixed. And in shock for the rest of the day...
    (Actually, still am a little when I think about it)

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I was at home getting ready to go and take my sister to work when she called me on the phone at about 8:50 am and said to turn the tv on that one of the buildings in New York was on fire, so I turned the tv on and sure enough the first tower was on fire, I remember thinking at the time that maybe it was just an accident but then as I am watching I seen the second plane hit the other tower and I knew right then that it definetly was not an accident. So I went and took my sister to work and listened to Drew and Mike the local morning show on 101.1 WRIF describe in detial exactly what was happening with the third plane hitting the Pentagon and Flight 93 crashing in Pennsylvania, Drew and Mike stayed on the air to about 2:30 pm that day. They replayed that show from 9/11/01 today and it was very eerie hearing it all over again and their speculation on what was happening at the time.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got into work when a co-worker told me about the first attack. We went to the lunchroom--it was already on TV, and less than a minute later, the 2nd plane hit, and my jaw just dropped!! I was numb the rest of the day, didn't really feel like working--I shoulda punched my boss' lights out over insensitive remarks he made later that day.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by NE169:
    Just got into work when a co-worker told me about the first attack. We went to the lunchroom--it was already on TV, and less than a minute later, the 2nd plane hit, and my jaw just dropped!! I was numb the rest of the day, didn't really feel like working--I shoulda punched my boss' lights out over insensitive remarks he made later that day.
    Out of curiousity, what did he say?

There was a similar situation on my old ship. Seems some young punk made comments supporting Bin Laden. He was written up and went to see the CO about his attitude and his remarks. I'm surprised nobody beat his ass.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I was getting ready for a job interview and listening to the radio when it all went down. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and when I turned on the television to see some visuals of the events unfolding I was in a state of shear numbness. God bless to everyone who lost somebody in those horrific attacks. Let's never forget.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    I was on the 61st floor or 2 WTC working for Morgan Stanley. Strangely, I had actually planned on handing in my resignation that Thursday (Sept. 11th was a Tues). I have no words anymore to convey that day. I'm no hero, just a lucky bastard who pushed 61 on the elevator instead of 85...

Cheers...

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Reckless Fable:
    I was on the 61st floor or 2 WTC working for Morgan Stanley. Strangely, I had actually planned on handing in my resignation that Thursday (Sept. 11th was a Tues). I have no words anymore to convey that day. I'm no hero, just a lucky bastard who pushed 61 on the elevator instead of 85...

Cheers...
    [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] :mouthhitsfloor:

Wow. I'll leave it at that then.

I was getting ready for a road trip, buisiness related, around 6:30 am when I turned on the news. I couldn't believe what I saw of course. Then the word started coming about not only the wtc's, but the pentagon, the other plane in Penn. I remember a voice in my head just screaming "STOP IT YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!! FUCKING STOP IT!! ENOUGH FOR GODS SAKE! DAMMIT!!" [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] I was so pissed off, frustrated, sad, numb....

So sad. I wish I could live without knowing that day ever happened.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I was woke up by my wife and she said "Rick, you better get up because the whole Nation is getting attacked!" I said, "what the Hell are you talking about?" She said the WTC's are on fire and the Pentagon was hit. I got up out of bed and looked at the T.V. in TOTAL dis-belief. My first thoughts were: Me and my family are not safe anymore! I felt like the U.S.A. was going to be destroyed....Terroists might hit a close-by nuclear plant with a plane or a bomb. I was more paranoid about my families life than ever! It took a while to relax, but we (the U.S.A.) will continue to prevail and fight for our freedom. God Bless us all and the United States of America!
    Just go for it!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

ballance
    Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I was on holiday in Melbourne and was to fly back early in the mourning on the 12 sept which is the 11 in the states any way i couldnt sleep so i turned on the tv and saw it but switched off as i had my son and wife with me and we were to fly back to Wellington in a few hours plus i dont like flying.ON the way to the airport we had an arab taxi driver who had the news on the mood at the airport was very sobering also lots of cops around

Favorite VH Album

II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

11.23.15 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I woke up for work by my Tv that was left on and was woken up to see the first tower ablaze.

Then saw the 2nd plane hit and it broke my heart.

It was a reality check.

I know some people had friends/family/American safety that died that day.It hit home.

I'm glad to see that all you folks were safe,no matter how it hit you,but safe.

I may not agree with all the posts but the fact that you can still post lifts my spirits.

You all are special to America.

GOD BLESS US ALL.
    No president puts joy in my life, but Van Halen puts joy in my ears.

Never pet a burning dog.