Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

08.07.15 @ 02:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Prostitute becoming a legend

November 20, 2002

Phil Luciano

In a city rich in criminal infamy, Rachael "Pooch" Thompson is making a case for legendary status at a young age.

If some of her crimes - like manslaughter - weren't so serious, she'd be almost laughable.

Thompson, 20, was arrested in August on a count of felony prostitution. She could serve six years.

The thing is, when she was arrested, she was on parole for a five-year sentence for killing a man. In what must be a rarity in the annals of American jurisprudence, Thompson squished him to death with her sizable circumference.

Thus, the case offers two legal oddities:

1. Turning tricks can cost you more prison time than killing someone.

2. In Peoria's street-walking trade, you can never be too heavy.

At the time of her 2000 murder trial, Thompson, an admitted gang member, already had a burgeoning rap sheet: theft, aggravated battery, prostitution and possession of a marijuana pipe. The first two were juvenile cases, the second two were misdemeanors. At worst, she got 24 months' probation.

In 1999, when booked on the prostitution charge, she listed herself as 5 feet 6 inches tall and 245 pounds. Her size became an issue the next year, lethally.

On July 15, 2000, a passer-by spotted Shiraz Jamsa, 49, 1018 N. Ellis, dead in the back yard of his apartment complex. The case mystified his family and friends, as Jamsa - despite a few low-key bad habits - was known as peaceable, likable.

Two days later, Peoria police arrested Thompson, then 18, of 1122 N. Flora, on a charge of first-degree murder.

"I know my brother-in-law wasn't a perfect person," says sister-in-law Charlotte Jamsa. "But she didn't have to kill him."

Thompson, a former Burger King employee, told various stories to police. But on the witnesses stand at trial, she admitted that she'd come to his apartment to turn a trick.

There, she tried to steal his wallet. In an ensuring struggle, she chased him outside and hit him with a chair. The two fell to the ground.

In attempting to grab his wallet, Thompson climbed atop Jamsa to restrain him.

At 5 feet 4 inches, Jamsa weighed about 115 pounds. Depending on the source, Thompson weighed anywhere from 185 to 300 pounds.

She began striking him in the head as she continued to sit on Jamsa's chest. An autopsy revealed he died of asphyxiation.

Prosecutors argued that the much-larger Thompson literally squeezed the life out Jamsa.

When he lost consciousness, she grabbed $10 from his wallet, a small bag of pennies and his VCR, which she sold for $20 to a resident down the street. She used the money to buy drugs.

In court, her defense attorney painted Thompson as too dim to know that her girth could asphyxiate Jamsa. In a stunner, the jury bought that story and convicted her of involuntary manslaughter.

A murder conviction could've landed her in prison for at least 20 years, maybe 60 or more. Involuntary manslaughter carries a penalty of two to five years.

Early this year, a judge sentenced her to the maximum. She would serve half of that sentence, most in the county lock-up.

She got out of prison last July and returned to Peoria. That very day, the wedding day of a nephew of Jamsa's, she was walking down a Peoria street when she spotted one of Jamsa's bothers.

"She just smiled and laughed at him," says a disgusted Charlotte Jamsa, who is married to one of Shiraz Jamsa's brothers.

A few weeks later, Thompson was arrested in a Peoria prostitution sting. For violating parole, she was sent without bond to the county jail, where she remains today.

She pleaded guilty this month to felony prostitution, and her sentencing is set just before Christmas. She could get anything from one year to six years, though by that time she'll have served almost five months in jail - which could go toward day-for-day good time.

In jail records, Thompson lists her weight as 245 pounds. Think about that. Thompson is as big as two average women. I don't know what criteria rank high among local johns, but you'd think this is one time you don't want to super-size your order.

But somehow - just as in the days of plus-size hookers like Baby Doll Cowan - an obese Peoria prostitute forever will have customers beating down her door.

That's old news to Chuck Thorbjornsen, prosecutor at Thompson's murder trial.

"I don't know if you've ever seen the crop of prostitutes Peoria has," he says with a scoffing chuckle. "I've seen them (in court)."

Despite Thompson's looking at additional time behind bars, her new prosecution gives Thorbjornsen no solace about her getting away with murder.

"I'm still stinging," says Thorbjornsen, who isn't working the new case. "I thought the (involuntary manslaughter) verdict was b.s."

Still, he hopes Jamsa's family receives a sense of consolation from Thompson getting added prison time. But so far, says Charlotte Jamsa, the family can't help but shake the fear that Thompson will get off with a slap on the wrist.

"With her luck, she'll probably get out," Charlotte Jamsa says ruefully. "She's always got one excuse after another.

"When is she going to be accountable for her actions? She's never going to change." [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Top Of The World

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can\'t This Be Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two tonne...
    Right now, rock n' roll needs a swift kick in the...<br /><br />"Gimme a bottle o' anything... and a glazed donut... to go!"

10.24.16 @ 08:21 PM
    Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member
    Now that's someone I'd call a whole lotta Rosie. Bummer about the John, though.

I can hear him now, "Man, those are some killer tits." [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] Out.

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

She sounds hot...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...