Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

JUMP, RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL&LOVE COMES WALKING IN
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when i was a little lad, my papa would take me to these movie halls that were incredible. most of them held over a thousand people and could fill that nightly. some of them had balconies and always if you looked around you saw some great artitechture in the sides and all over the building. also when you bought a popcorn you got a big bucket not a little bag! some of these great movie houses even had ushersthat helped you select seats and checked on you to make sure you were having a good time. the screen itself was always large. in fact one of the smaller movies houses in philadelphia was converted to four movies. that is how big the orignal screen was. now i like some of the new stuff like recliining seats and cup holders, but overall the movie halls and houses of today are nothing special to look forward to. It used to be an event to go out and see steve mcqueen or h. bogart in a film. now who the hell cares. we go to see a movie and that is that. it nothing special. well the hulkamaniac brother wants to know why? why did we go downhill when the quality of the films have improved? why do we settle for just walls when we can have balconies and terraces and great architechure? why have we allowed society to change like this? why have we taken a great family night out and made it into a non issue. If any of you get the chance go to a movie house in syracuse new york called the landmark orto the sam eric in philadelphia. you will see a big difference. besdies when we go to a movie, part of it is to make sure thato ur ladies have a good time and how can we give them the best they deserve if the place we are taking them to is not top notch my borthers? i would love to hear all of your thoughts around the world on this topic.
    and of course as always i would like to thank all the beautiful, intelligent ladies and there male counterparts for taking the time to read this post, think long and hard about it and then give a reply to it.

"I said goodbye to romance [yeah]
    Goodbye to friends, I tell you
    Goodbye to all the past
    I guess that we'll meet,
    we'll meet in the end" – Ozzy Osbourne

AS THE DAYS PASS I DISCOVER/DESTINY JUST CAN’T BE RULED – TWISTED SISTER

Well East coast girls are hip
    I really dig those styles they wear- brian Wilson

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

vh1 , fw , 1984 & fuck
    Favorite VH Song

girl gone bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

..dvd & home theater..?

why go out - when you can get it at home..?

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We had two giant old movie houses like that where I grew up. They had the balcony and matinees...
    I can remember my cousins coming to pick me up, and their mom would drive us to the theater, pay a quarter or fifty cents to get us in, and then she'd leave us there all day! When she and my mom got the houses clean, they'd come to pick us up.

One is still there, but now they use it for performers and community events and an occasional movie. If they do a movie there now, it's an event! Like a premiere or a marathon. Trust me, there aren't many premieres where I grew up, so...

The other they converted into a multiplex. They did the conversion in the 80s. It was really kind of sad. Lots of memories in those old balconies. Not to mention all the parties we'd had after hours and friends who worked there were finishing up "cleaning."

I guess they just see that they can get more money in, if they appeal to different tastes... and show more then one movie, or one really hot movie on more then one screen.

Economics! Bah! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] There's nothing more fun then going to an old movie house!
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I don't remember what my town had before, but in the early '70s we got the Jerry Lewis Twin Cinemas downtown. Nothing very special there at all! What I miss is the drive-in - we had one on the south side of town and then there was another one over in Saco. I rode the trunk in at least once to Saco!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Bucks...More screens mean more dollars...With the advances in movie technology, movies become more expensive to make...

I don't know the business anymore, but I used to manage a theater...The theater had to pay in advance for it's copies of films..major bucks!! That's why you need to take out a second mortgage just to buy popcorn...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I loved to go to the drive in! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] I think I only really watched one movie there though!

Took my kids once... somehow it just wasn't as much fun... [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I NEVER GOT TO EXPERIENCE THE ALL AMERICAN ACT OF TAKING A BEAUTY QUEEN OT THE DRIVE INN AND HAIVNG SOME GOOD CLEAN ALL AMEIRCNA HULKAMNAIC STYLE FUN MY BROTHERS. I TINHK IT IS A SHAME. IT USED TO BE THAT YOU GOT DRESSED UP AND GOING TO A MOVIE WAS AN EVENT. ON SATURDAY AFTERNOONS YOU WENT TO THE MOVIE HOUSE JUST FOR THE AIR CONDITION AND BECAUSE IT WAS THE PLACE TO BE SEEN IF YOU WERE A GREASER OR TRYING TO BE A COOL COCKY SON OF A BITCH! NOW IT LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS WORLD. IT HAS LITTLE MEANING ANYMORE. I DO NOT KNOW THE MOVIE INDUSTRY TOO WELL BUT HOW CAN THEY MAKE MORE MONEY NOW WHEN THE MOVIE IS NOT IN THE MOVIE PLACES AS LONG. SOME MOVIES USED TO BE GOING AORUND FORA YEAR OR TWO. TRY FINDING MOST MOVIES AFTER A MONTH IN A MOVIE SHOWINGFACILITY. I THINK PEOPLE HAVE LOST SOMETHING SPECIAL AND DO NOT EVEN REALIZE IT. I GUES IT LIKE CARS. THEY ALL LOOK GENEREIC BUT AT LEAST WITH CARS SOME COMPANIES ARE TRYING TO GO BACK TO SPECIAL BY BRINGING BACK SUCH CLASSIC AMERICAN FARES AS THE CAHRGER, THE MALIBU AND THE IMPALA. GRANTED THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE THE ORIGNAL BUT IT JUST LIKE MY THUNDERBIRD. IF I THINK LONG AND HARD I CAN IMAGINE HOW COOL AND BADASS IT WAS AT ONE TIME TO OWN IT AND THE THRILL OF HITITNGTHAT GAS PEDAL AND UNLOCKINGTHE MIGHTY V-8. I GUESS IT JUST A SOCIETY TREND THAT WE AREL OSIGN THE SIMPLE PLEASURES IN THE WORLD. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS MY BORTHERS AND OF COURSE MY BEAUTIFUL, INTELLIGENT, SEXY, SASSY AND VERY EQUAL FEMALES.

"DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE YOU WITH THEW WRONG IMPRESSION" - N. IMBRUGIA

"IT'S SIX A.M. AMD I'M ALONE" - SHERYL CROW

"WELL MEAN GENE, BROTHER, YOU SEE IT LIKE THIS" - HULK HOGAN GU8EST STARRING ON THE POPULAR T.V. SERIES THE A TEAM

"WHAT YOU GOING TO DO WHEN HULKAMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOU" - HULK HOGAN

"NWO IS JUST 2 SWEET" - SCOTT HALL AND KEVIN NASH

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I don't know how they make any money either as it seems about everytime I go, no matter how big the movie's supposed to be, the theatre is largely empty...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It's not the old-fashioned movie houses I miss, it's drive-in theatres. I can remember many a summer night as a kid watching the Star Wars films, Close Encounters, Raiders, etc. outside on the big screen.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by ScottRoberts:
    It's not the old-fashioned movie houses I miss, it's drive-in theatres. I can remember many a summer night as a kid watching the Star Wars films, Close Encounters, Raiders, etc. outside on the big screen.
    Amen, Scott...I remember getting in our pj's and getting on the roof of the car in sleeping bags and watching movies at the DI!
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all, but esp WACF
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my one building at LIU is the old Paramount that got closed down due to the Paramount Descision sometime in the 40s. OUr gyn is where the actual theater used to be. We have old posters and that kind of stuff up. very pretty.
    The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says its half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says its so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it. The psychoanalyst says the cup is your mother. The punk sitting next to you also says the cup is your mother. The romance novelist says the cup is a willing receptacle to the wild gushing torrents of pure passion from the hard chiseled urn. The zen master says There is no cup. Pamela Anderson says her cups are definitely full. Me? Refill!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

unfortunatly i am on the young side being a little shy of 30 years old. by the time i was maybe 4 or 5 the last drive in closed up around my way. i was wondering what were they really like. was it an automatic score if you went and did anyone ever actually watch the movie? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

"FEEL THE BANG" - D.D.P.

"ROLL OVER ELVIS/LET THE HONKEY TONK MAN SHOW YOU" - HONKEY TONK MAN

"MEAN, BY GOD GENE"- RIC FLAIR

"STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES" - FORREST GUMP

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ScottRoberts:
    We lived in the neighborhood with the drive in! I can remember when my parents caught my brothers sitting out in the yard watching X movies from the drive-in! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by THE HULKAMANIAC BROTHER:
    i was wondering what were they really like. was it an automatic score if you went and did anyone ever actually watch the movie? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    They closed when I was still pretty young... too young to be thinking about boys... But the funny thing is, they opened a new one in the town where I grew up, and it's always busy.

There are a couple in the Chicago area still open for business. One's just south of 30 on Hwy 50. It's loads of fun to go if you've never done it.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

For those of you that would like to see if there is a drive-in theatre anywhere that you consider driving distance, go to Drive-Ins.com. They'll tell you where to find one. We keep thinking about taking the kids to the one in Lakeland one of these days - not sure how to do it with 5 of us, though - can't remember how we used to do it when my Dad and step-mom would take my sister and I - i guess we just kind of squeezed together in the middle in the back to be able to see between them.