Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Shyamalan Still Interested in Unbreakable 2?
    Saturday, August 31, 2002 5:45 CDT

The mega summer success Signs has proven once again that M. Night Shyamalan is the new master of suspense. Although his previous film, Unbreakable with Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson, performed well at the box office, it nevertheless didn't have as many fans the director might have wanted. This put a stop to his thoughts of making it a trilogy at first, in which Willis would continue to develop his superhero powers.

But Shyamalan is revisiting the possibility of a sequel, really showing interest in presenting the story of the character David Dunn. He tells Entertainment Weekly, "I keep struggling with whether to do it or not. It's hard because I feel a little upset that it split audiences, but I'd love to see what that guy's life is like now".

"How does he orchestrate his life so that he doesn't touch people?" he adds, "And then his wife doesn't know, but [his] kid knows that dad's a superhero - that's so f---ing fun! I'd love to do that."

[ September 01, 2002, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The Punisher Starts Shooting Next Year
    Saturday, August 31, 2002 12:16 CDT

In a Zap2It interview with producer Gale Anne Hurd, she also briefly mentions when she'll start on The Punisher adaptation.

Her next comic-book project is an adaptation of Marvel Comics' "The Punisher," about a well-armed combat veteran who takes on crime.

"That will start shooting next year," Hurd says. "It's a harder action one. We are just going to start the casting process in the next two weeks, so no news yet."

The writer/director on the project is Hurd's husband, Jonathan Hensleigh ("Armageddon," "Die Hard With a Vengeance").

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

More on the Spidey Animated Series
    Sunday, September 1, 2002 12:03 CDT

It sounds a bit 'out' there, but then again the show IS airing on MTV next year. AICN recieved the following about the animated Spider-Man series that will pick up where the movie left off...

Just a quick note to let you guys in on some information I've heard about the animated Spider-Man series for MTV. It seems that MTV wants "pop stars" to play the villains in the different episodes. So far rapper Eve and rocker Rob Zombie have lent their talents to the characters of Black Cat and The Lizard respectively.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Stax looks at the script for the X-Men sequel!

August 30, 2002 - Stax here with a review of the screenplay for X. This 109-page production draft dated April 30, 2002 is a rewrite by Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris, based on an original screenplay by David Hayter and a story by Hayter and Bryan Singer. For those of you currently residing on the far side of the moon, X is the highly anticipated sequel to the summer 2000 hit X-Men, a live-action adaptation of the classic Marvel Comic. Bryan Singer has reprised his directing duties for X, which is about halfway through filming in Vancouver, British Columbia. 20th Century Fox will release X on May 2, 2003.

The members of the original X-Men cast returning for the sequel include Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, James Marsden, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Anna Paquin, Shawn Ashmore, and Bruce Davison. The new cast members include Brian Cox (The Bourne Identity), Alan Cumming (Get Carter), Kelly Hu (The Scorpion King), Aaron Stanford (Tadpole), Katie Stuart, Daniel Cudmore, and Cotter Smith.

First things first: I will not reveal any major (or even very many minor) SPOILERS. That said, I can tell you that X begins where the first film left off. The story opens with the aversion of a major crime that was being perpetrated by a militant mutant. National outrage prompts President McKenna (Smith) to give tacit approval to William Stryker (Cox), a shady government operative and anti-mutant fanatic, to lead covert operations against a major center of mutant activity within North America: Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Children. As revealed in the recent teaser trailer, Stryker and his operatives storm Xavier's mansion and capture several students. Stryker has his own agenda, of course, and the X-Men will serve a purpose for him.

The X-Men who have evaded capture must now determine why Stryker is after them, where he and their captured friends are, and how to stop him. The X-Men also receive assistance from a most unlikely source (guess who?) who has a hidden agenda of their own. There are a number of subplots in X, including: Logan's investigation into his mysterious past, which is tied to Stryker; the X-Men's first encounter with Nightcrawler (Cumming); and Magneto's (McKellen) growing resolve that his crusade is the only way for mutantkind to survive. The story's locations include New York, Washington, D.C., Boston, and Canada.

Judging by this production draft, X is one sequel that will live up to (and likely exceed) its considerable hype. It offers a far better, more exciting, and expansive story than the first film, which I enjoyed but it's now clear to me that it was mainly 100 minutes of exposition meant to set up X. With the explanation of mutation having now been provided, and the philosophical conflict between Xavier and Magneto established, X offers the spectator a far greater view of the world that the X-Men inhabit. The first film took place in a relatively closed environment; the sequel works on a broader canvas. We see what being a mutant does to families, the hostility it prompts whenever mutants go out in public, and the growing schism it is creating within American society.

It would not be unreasonable to perceive post 9-11 fears, prejudices, and concerns in this story. (Some of Senator Kelly's points in the first film don't seem so unreasonable now that our vulnerabilities to a "phantom menace" have been so tragically realized.) X doesn't quite exploit these new fears so much as it's been clearly influenced by them. One of the reasons why the X-Men comics are rediscovered by subsequent generations is that their focus on prejudice, fear, and alienation will always remain topical. These post 9-11 influences offer a "shorthand" by which viewers can comprehend anti-mutant hysteria without it being as one-dimensional as it may have seemed in the first film.

X clips along at a brisk pace with only a few "commercial breaks" along the way. It is very much like an old serial, being merely the next chapter in a much larger saga. The ending, which has shades of The Empire Strikes Back and Star Trek III, is an obvious yet enticing set up for X-Men 3. It provokes that one question every storyteller wants to hear: what happens next? Our heroes are left in a real pickle by the end of X and I cannot wait to see what the future has in store for them.

X logically extends the themes, subplots, and issues established in the first film. Unlike most sequels, its plotline is not merely arbitrary. Instead, it depicts the next phase in the coming war between mutants and humanity that the first film foreshadowed. You really do need to have seen the first film, however, in order to fathom this sequel. Otherwise, X might strike you as a lot of running around and fighting with very little character development to speak of. Fans, however, will appreciate this sequel because it's not unlike picking up the next issue of a comic book with a continuing storyline.

There's simply more for the various X-Men to do this time around. By splitting the protagonists up, as Empire and Star Trek 4 did, each team member has something special to do, some part to play in the advancement of the plot. Storm certainly has a far more integral role this time out; I guess Halle's Oscar is paying off! I was also surprised at how large the parts played by Iceman (Ashmore), Pyro (Stanford), and Mystique (Romijn-Stamos) were. Cyclops (Marsden), on the other hand, suffered the most. He really had nothing to do until the end. Likewise, Anne Reynolds (Hu), Stryker's henchwoman, wasn't particularly remarkable until her pay-off scene in Act Three.

I wouldn't consider this sequel to be Logan's film – which the first X-Men most certainly was – despite his "quest" subplot. While Logan isn't just another member of the team, his importance in the overall story is somewhat diminished. X is a team picture, as opposed to the first film, which really should've been re-titled "Wolverine and the X-Men" (the title of Andrew Kevin Walker's unused draft, I believe). My gut tells me, though, that X-Men 3 will restore Logan to center stage.

Thankfully, there's no clich "doomsday weapon" gimmick employed this time around but there is a "MacGuffin." There's also a minor character whose existence reveals just how twisted Stryker is. And, as has already been widely reported online, there are indeed several mutant cameos peppered throughout this story. (I won't reveal more than that but, for the insatiably curious, this draft confirms that Coming Attractions' coverage of X has been dead-on so far.)

My favorite moments in this draft involved Magneto. There are two brief but chilling scenes where Magneto tempts a young character into joining the dark side; these were far more gripping than anything that's been offered in nearly six hours of Star Wars prequels thus far. Magneto also has another memorable scene where he avenges himself in a most gruesome fashion.

X raises the stakes for its characters considerably and establishes many momentous things still to come in the inevitable X-Men 3. There's far more action this time, and the story offers a fuller understanding of how the existence of mutants has affected the world. The X-Men spend most of this story on the defensive and the ending leaves you impatient to discover what happens to them next. Overall, X met, and often surpassed, my expectations. It is, in many ways, everything that comic book fans wanted the original film to be. Come summer 2003, I'm going to make mine Marvel. – STAX

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Nirvana's last recording may finally see the light of day. According to sources close to the project, Universal Music Group hopes to put out a one-disc Nirvana greatest-hits album before the end of the year. Though no track listing was available at press time, the CD would include "You Know You're Right," the song Nirvana recorded less than three months before Kurt Cobain committed suicide on April 5th, 1994.
    "It's a win-win situation for the band and for fans," says Nirvana bassist Kurt Novoselic. "The music will finally come out."

The fate of any future Nirvana release has been at the center of a legal battle between Courtney Love, Novoselic and Dave Grohl for more than two years now. Both sides have sought to dissolve Nirvana LLC, a 1997 partnership that required all three to agree on Nirvana business decisions. Love claims that since Cobain was the band's principal songwriter, his heirs should have control over the band's legacy. Novoselic and Grohl counter that the band had functioned as a partnership and should continue to do so.

The bitter conflict scuttled plans for the Nirvana box set that had been planned for last fall, to coincide with the tenth anniversary of Nevermind's release. Love advocates a single disc, which would include "You Know You're Right." Her manager and boyfriend, Jim Barber, argued in legal proceedings that the song was "a potential 'hit' of extraordinary artistic and commercial value" and that a greatest-hits package including it would sell between 10 million and 15 million copies.

At press time, sources said Love, Novoselic and Grohl were working toward an amicable agreement that would clear the way for the album and a possible "You Know You're Right" video.

JENNY ELISCU
    (August 30, 2002

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

LED ZEPPELIN: No Reunion Planned! - Sep. 1, 2002

LED ZEPPELIN fans shouldn't hold their breath for a much-rumored reunion, representatives of the three surviving ZEPPELINites have told The Toronto Sun.

Despite last week's Launch report claiming a reunion "could well be in the offing" for 2003, according to "sources inside band management," there are no concrete plans for the guitarist Jimmy Page, vocalist Robert Plant and bassist John Paul Jones to reunite anytime soon.

"This news appears yearly. There is nothing to report and no statement to give," said a publicist for Page.

A spokesman for singer Plant: "This news piece comes up every year. Robert won't be able to interview about this."

A publicist for Jones: "I spoke to John Paul's personal manager, and he knows nothing about it."

LED ZEPPELIN disbanded in 1980 after drummer John Bonham died from choking on his own vomit after a drinking binge.

Page, Plant and Jones have played together in public only three times since — at Live Aid in 1985, at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary concert in 1988, and at the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame induction gala in 1994. Page and Plant together recorded two albums and toured from 1994-98.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Two sources have told Coming Attractions that Universal film executives have already been testing the waters to see if they shouldn't dust off the film franchise and consider making a sequel to Carpenter's classic film. Our first anonymous insider, known only as "MC", told us that Universal has already sent out feelers to see if none other than John Carpenter himself would ever consider continuing the story as writer/director! And the reason for this sudden interest in making a sequel to a movie that was originally considered a box office failure? The widespread fan interest in the video game, apparently.
    However, our source was quick to mention there is a downside: supposedly Carpenter sent back his own "feeler" that he might be interested...provided Universal coughed up the big bucks. "Ole Johnny Carpenter wants a little too much money for his part," our inside connection told CA. After a string of box office dissappointments like Ghosts of Mars, Vampires and the $70 million dollar Escape from L.A. dud, that's why at this current stage of discussion Carpenter's name is only "being considered" as a possible creative partner for The Thing 2 and not firmly attached to the project.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Alternate Ending For Signs
    Monday, September 2, 2002 9:49 CDT

Cindy Pearlman spoke with M. Night Shyamalan about Signs:

Here's a little-known secret about "Signs": What wasn't working for Shyamalan was the original ending of "Signs."

"Originally, I wanted the movie to end with Mel Gibson's character finding his faith and then pulling up to a horrible car accident where a teenage girl is dying. He gives her last rites and whispers, 'Don't be afraid because you're not alone.' It was a great ending with real power, but I worried that some would think I was pandering to our basic emotions. And the last thing I thought a lady who works 14 hours a day needed to see on a Saturday night was a teen dying on a street."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The Two Towers Leaks Online?
    Monday, September 2, 2002 9:41 CDT

Drudgereport.com reports that The Two Towers may have already hit online in the form of a bootleg:

The new fuss film LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS has been leaked on to the Internet, it was claimed on Sunday -- more than 4 months before its release.

In a stunning slap at Hollywood and its ongoing copyright battle with digital swappers, Internet users boldly began trading copies of the latest RINGS on Sunday.

But one AOLTIMEWARNER executive expressed serious doubt that a file is in play.

"I have serious question about this, I am not sure we even have a finished product yet!" said the executive from New York. "I don't know what this is, but if it is the movie, or any portion of the movie, we will impose strict criminal penalties against anyone and everyone that downloads it!"

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

GUNS N' ROSES To Kick Off North American Tour In October - Sep. 3, 2002

GUNS N' ROSES will kick off a 40-plus date North American arena tour in late October in the Northeastern U.S., according to Billboard Bulletin. So far, no dates have yet been announced, although rumors suggest that an October 22nd date at Chicago's Allstate Arena is in the works. Reports that the band is asking for a $500K guarantee per show have also remained unconfirmed at this time.

The forthcoming trek will mark the band's first full-blown U.S. tour since playing 29 shows in 1993 that grossed $13.7 million. The group successfully toured Japan and Europe this summer and made a surprise appearance last week on the MTV Video Music Awards, performing the new song "Madagascar" amid old favorites "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Paradise City".

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Movie News
    SIMPSONS movie coming in three years?
    Shearer hints intentions are strengthening

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dateline: Tuesday, September 3, 2002

By: CHRISTOPHER ALLAN SMITH
    By: News Editor
    Source: Cinema Confidential

In a recent interview, political satirist, radio-host, actor and SIMPSONS voice Harry Shearer hinted progress on a big screen adventure for THE SIMPSONS might be creeping forward.

Shearer, who voices Mr. Burns, Waylon Smithers, Ned Flanders among others, said about the potential film, “There's a deal for one, the contract is in place. Intentions are hardening.”

He also dryly joked about the future prospects of the long-running show. “Well, right now, there is a deal for another year right after this year. After that, there would have to be another negotiation. If FOX finds another show that they could put on then, who knows? For instance, when The Chamber premiered in THE SIMPSONS timeslot, it did well. When the second episode followed THE SIMPSONS, it did well. When it moved to Friday night, it disappeared. When they find another show that can do what THE SIMPSONS does, they will be delighted to cancel THE SIMPSONS. I'm sure they're avid in trying to find one, but they haven't.”

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Star Wars: Episode II (DVD): Episode X reports that the upcoming disc version includes a slightly extended cut of the film. The changes are only minor including a bit where Padme groans on the ground after falling off the Gunship, and an extension of the Anakin confession scene at the Lars farm: "At the point where the scene usually cuts, we instead get a longer glimpse of Padm still standing there, hanging on a balance point between her love for Anakin and his evil deed he has just confessed to her. Seemingly making up her mind, we witness how Padm sympathetically tries to soothe Anakin. Kneeling down, she tells him that "to be angry is to be human". To a new musical cue of Palpatine's theme swelling in the background, Anakin replies 'I'm a Jedi. I know I'm better than this'".

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - New Heart Greatest-Hits Set Coming In October
    09/03/2002

(9/3/02, 10 a.m. ET) -- A new, two-CD best-of set from Heart is coming October 8 from Capitol Records. The Essential Heart Collection features 37 songs from across the band's career, making this the first double-disc set to feature music from Heart's tenure on both Capitol and Epic Records.

The songs on The Essential Heart Collection run the gamut from early rockers like "Crazy On You" and "Barracuda" through the band's '80s ballad hits, including "Never" and "These Dreams." Singer-guitarist Nancy Wilson previously told LAUNCH that despite Heart's success, it hasn't always been easy for the group to try new things out. "They tell you not to reinvent yourself. They tell you that your fans have an identity that they know, that is familiar to them, that they don't want to change. It's interesting. But in our case, I mean, we've been able to change a lot, but we've had to fight to be able to change a lot."

Heart is also working on a new studio album for release in the early part of next year.

The tracklisting for The Essential Heart Collection includes:

Disc One: "Crazy On You," "Magic Man," "Dreamboat Annie (Reprise)," "Barracuda," "Little Queen," "Kick It Out," "Love Alive," "Heartless," "Straight On," "Dog & Butterfly," "Silver Wheels," "Even It Up," "Rock & Roll," "Tell It Like It Is," "Unchained Melody," "This Man Is Mine," "How Can I Refuse?", and "Allies."

Disc Two: "What About Love?", "Never," "These Dreams," "Nothin' At All," "If Looks Could Kill," "Alone," "Who Will You Run To?", "There's The Girl," "I Want You So Bad," "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You," "Wild Child," "I Didn't Want To Need You," "Stranded," "Secret," "You're The Voice," "Will You Be There (In The Morning)?", "Black On Black II," "Ring Them Bells," and "The Road Home."

-- Bruce Simon, New York and Craig Rosen, Los Angeles

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

U2 'Best Of' Boasts B-Sides, DVD

A limited edition bonus disc of B-sides and a DVD will accompany U2's second hits collection, "U2: The Best of 1990-2000," due Nov. 5 through Interscope. Dubbed "The Best of the B-Sides," the 14-track second disc includes such songs as "Summer Rain" and "Your Blue Room," as well as remixes of U2 tracks by the likes of Paul Oakenfold and Alan Moulder. The bonus DVD will boast exclusive content, including the "History Mix of U2 in the '90s."

As previously reported, "U2: The Best of 1990-2000" features two new songs, "Electrical Storm" and "The Hands That Built America." The former will be released as a single and will be supported by an Anton Corbijn-directed video starring actress Samantha Morton ("Minority Report") as a mermaid. The clip was recently shot in the French seaside town Eze.

"The Hands That Built America," meanwhile, will also be featured on the soundtrack to Martin Scorsese's long-anticipated "Gangs of New York." The Miramax film, which stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day Lewis, and Cameron Diaz, is scheduled to open Dec. 25 in U.S. theaters.

The 16-track "1990-2000" disc includes such well known U2 songs as "Even Better Than the Real Thing," "Mysterious Ways," and last year's smash, "Beautiful Day." Four songs -- "Discotheque," "Gone," "Numb," and "Staring at the Sun" -- appear as "substantially reworked" versions courtesy of producer Mike Hedges.

The Irish quartet will follow up the audio collection with a "Best of 1990 - 2000" DVD, set for a Dec. 3 release. The set will include videos for songs on the A-sides disc along with commentary from directors Corbijn, Wim Wenders, Kevin Godley, Stephane Sednaoui, and Jonas Akerlund. The title will also feature alternative versions of video clips made for different countries, as early cuts, or to accompany different mixes, as well as six bonus tracks: "Please," " If God Will Send His Angels," "Wild Horses," "Lemon," "Last Night on Earth," and "Mofo."

The DVD will also include the short documentary "The Road to Sarajevo." The piece was filmed as the U2 prepared to perform in the Bosnian capital in 1997, and includes footage from the concert.

Here is the "U2: The Best of 1990-2000" track listing:

"Even Better Than the Real Thing"
    "Mysterious Ways"
    "Beautiful Day"
    "Electrical Storm" (William Orbit Mix)
    "One"
    "Miss Sarajevo"
    "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)"
    "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
    "Gone" (new mix)
    "Until the End of the World"
    "The Hands That Built America"
    "Discotheque" (new mix)
    "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"
    "Staring at the Sun" (new mix)
    "Numb" (new mix)
    "The First Time"

Here is "The Best of the B-Sides" track listing:

"Lady With the Spinning Head" (Extended Dance Mix)
    "Dirty Day" (Junk Day Mix)
    "Electrical Storm"
    "Summer Rain"
    "North & South of the River"
    "Your Blue Room"
    "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" (The Gun Mix)
    "Salome" (Zooromancer Mix)
    "Even Better Than the Real Thing" (Perfecto Mix)
    "Numb" (Give Me Some More Dignity Mix)
    "Mysterious Ways" (Solar Plexus Club Mix)
    "If God Will Send His Angels" (Big Yam Mix)
    "Lemon" (Jeep Mix)
    "Discotheque" (Hexidecimal Mix)

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.