Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

If this does turn out to be a terrorist act, it was obviously done to target Australians. Not unexpected, but worrying nonetheless - Indonesia is the worlds biggest Muslim country. God knows howm any crackpots they have lurking round there looking for things to blow up!

AP - A massive explosion from a car bomb destroyed a nightclub on the tourist island of Bali, sparking a devastating inferno that killed at least 182 people and wounded more than 300.

Indonesian Police Chief General Da'i Bachtiar said the explosion was a car bomb placed in a Kijang, a jeep-like vehicle, and called it the worst act of terrorism in Indonesia's history.

President Megawati Sukarnoputri has flown to Bali and a security alert was declared nationwide. Security Minister Susilo Bamban Yudhyono said strategic targets, like liquefied natural gas plants, "will be protected".

There was no claim of responsibility for the bombing in the Sari Club at the Kuta Beach resort, which officials said killed Indonesians along with Australians, Germans, Canadians, Britons, and Swedes.

More than 300 people were injured, at least 90 of them critically, officials said.

Authorities said a second bomb exploded near the island's US consular office. Police said there were no casualties in the second explosion. The US Embassy's recreation club in the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, was evacuated after a bomb threat.

The blasts came three days after the US State Department issued a worldwide alert for terror attacks and highlighted fears by the United States and others that Indonesia - the most populous Muslim nation - is becoming a haven for terrorists and that al-Qaeda operatives are active.

"This is the worst act of terror in Indonesia's history," Bachtiar said. "We have to be more alert for other acts of terror including international terrorism in the future."

Megawati said 182 people were killed and 132 injured, but hospital officials in Bali said that 309 were hurt, about 90 of them critically.

The first bomb late Sunday destroyed the Sari Club, a popular nightspot frequented by foreigners in the resort of Kuta Beach. The explosion at the consular office occurred almost simultaneously.

The blast left a large crater at the entrance to the nightclub, in the centre of Kuta, Bali's biggest tourist area with a maze of clubs, restaurants, shops, hotels and beach bungalows. It caters to a younger tourists and surfers.

The blast ignited a huge blaze - apparently caused by exploding gas cylinders - which collapsed the flimsy roof structure, trapping hundreds of revellers inside.

Bali Police Chief Brig General Budi Setyawan said that most of the victims were Australian tourists.

Australian tourist Rachael Hughes, 18, said she and her boyfriend had just arrived in Kuta Beach when the blast ripped through the nightclub, smashing the window of their hotel room.

"Looking outside ... people are yelling and screaming, they are all going: 'They are all going to die,' " she told the Seven Network television.

"Standing in the foyer of the Bounty Hotel, people were just walking in, blood dripping off them, burns to their face, skin coming off them."

Police had no immediate motive for the blasts.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

that's horrible....why would they target tourists...

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, VH, WACF, Balance, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, H4T, I\'m the One, Romeo
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The travel agency's gonna crash over there

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Hey Goo, are you guys still on fire down there?????? I did a rain dance over the weekend...hope it helped
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    lol! musta worked mate thanks, its OK at the moment

Could be a rough summer though - most of the countrys in drought and its dry as a Nuns nasty here.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Goo...
    I'm in the Blue mountains where the fires can get pretty bad, but the last few years we've had a number of fires started by out of control back burns started by the BFB!
    They go in the paper as arson but are actually the work of the (locally refered to) 'orange arsonists'.
    The do a great job of putting them out though....eventually!

[ October 15, 2002, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: sean112 ]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    I gotta say I find it a bit dissapointing this only got one or 2 responses from Americans.

I'll spell it out in a slightly different slant:

120 odd australians were killed in this attack. 2 americans, bout 5 brits. 1 New Zealander. Some Canadians. Local balinese. All just young peeps out for a good time.

another different slant: Its the biggest ever loss of australian life, outside of a war.

Another one: Per capita of population, bigger than 9/11 was to America. Bali is a tourist mecca to Australians - this was obviously targeted to kill Aussies.

No, it wasnt on our own soil, and thats a big difference. Fair enough. However, Australias been right there the whole way with America since that horrible day last September. 130 odd people have viewed this thread and only 2 Americans have bothered replying. If I posted a poll about favorite brands of cheeseburgers, I'd have seen a better response!

Supports a 2 way street. Or so it should be. Can't help but be dissapointed with this apparant indifference when it becomes someone elses problem.

[ October 18, 2002, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Goo ]

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

You're right, and I'm sorry - I saw this thread and wanted to respond - but what can you say? I'm so sick of hearing about stuff like this, from people blowing themselves up in crowds in the mideast, to psychos running around our nations capital area putting bullets in people as they run their routines, to this tragedy in Bali. I can't believe with all the lessons we (should) have learned through history that this is still the way we treat one another, with acts of terrorism and destruction. But I do want to send my belated condolences to the familys and nations of the victims of this senseless act. I hope whatever it was for was worth it for the terrorists or whoever is responsible when they find themselves in Hell (and I don't mean the town in Michigan).

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting point.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

TYWH, Humans Being
    Last Online

09.03.12 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I'm originally from Australia, so this hits home to me. I stil have a lot of family around Brisbane. So my sympathies are there.
    Light em' up!!!

"You can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice;
    Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice!"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fucking assholes. I hope Australia knows we stand behind them for whatever they want to do. I hope the Aussie SAS hunts those fuckers down and guts them in front of their families.

I would like to apologize to the cool Aussies on the board. Our dipshit news media hasn't covered this very well and they have yet to make the point that this attack is as significant to you as 9/11 was to us. The sad fact is that it's gotten about as much coverage as the stuff in Israel.

It's not that Americans don't care, most probably didn't even hear about it.

If I were you guys I'd mount a letter and e-mail campain against ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN and let them know what total failures they are because their main job is to inform people. Not down play a story because it interferes with a political agenda.

Once again, my heart felt condolences.

Marc
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

ballance
    Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I had friends who were in Bali at the time their ok .The reports here are it looks like three New Zealanders have been killed makes you think twice about traveling

On Fire
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:53 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

Originally posted by Axxman300:
    Fucking assholes. I hope Australia knows we stand behind them for whatever they want to do. I hope the Aussie SAS hunts those fuckers down and guts them in front of their families.

I would like to apologize to the cool Aussies on the board. Our dipshit news media hasn't covered this very well and they have yet to make the point that this attack is as significant to you as 9/11 was to us. The sad fact is that it's gotten about as much coverage as the stuff in Israel.

It's not that Americans don't care, most probably didn't even hear about it.

If I were you guys I'd mount a letter and e-mail campain against ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN and let them know what total failures they are because their main job is to inform people. Not down play a story because it interferes with a political agenda.

Once again, my heart felt condolences.

Marc
    Nice to read this from a U.S. poster! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry I missed this thread. I was away from the board the past couple of weeks until last night. No disrespect meant to the people of Australia, especially those on this board. Your country is one that I'm proud as an American to call a friend and ally, as you are there whenever we or our allies need you, including after 9-11 when your support to our grieving nation was so very important.

My heart goes out to all the Australian people following this attack. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] This type of insanity needs to stop, and I know much of the world community, especially the U.S. with the vital assistance of Australia and other allies, will do everything in our power to avenge their deaths and to prevent something like this from happening ever again. President Bush also offered his condolences in a speech today.

It also goes to show you that those who make excuses for the terrorists by saying it is actually the fault of the West and its allies for the murderous actions by these extremists are doing a great disservice to the world community. Plus, these apologists are trampling on the memories of the innocents that lost their lives. Like 9-11, Americans will not soon forget the actions of these cowards in Indonesia. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire nation. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

[ October 19, 2002, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Delighted Romeo ]
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Thanks guys.

My point in my last post was simply to stoke the fire a bit. I totally understand the point that after hearing about this sort of thing for so long, you tend to get a littled jaded (I would have been in the exact same frame of mind a week ago). No problem.

In a way I was just trying to get a rise of some kind. Just make people realise they HAD got a bit complacent.

Furthermore I was a bit fired up. I'd been to a message board elsewhere and seen some American (or at least allegedly American - this IS the internet LOL) spouting off saying things like 'Chuck another Aussie on the barbie'.

You can probably understand my reaction to that!!

Anyways, hope you can see what I'm getting at a bit better.