Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New York lottery winning numbers: 9-1-1

New York lottery winning numbers: 9-1-1
    September 12, 2002 Posted: 12:21 AM EDT (0421 GMT)

ALBANY, New York (AP) -- On the first anniversary of the terrorist attacks, a date known as 9-11, the evening numbers drawn in the New York Lottery were 9-1-1.

"The numbers were picked in the standard random fashion using all the same protocols," said lottery spokeswoman Carolyn Hapeman. "It's just the way the numbers came up."

Lottery officials won't know until Thursday morning how many people played those numbers or the total payout, she said.

For the evening numbers game, the New York Lottery selects from balls numbered zero to nine circulating in a machine at the lottery office. Three levers are pressed, and three balls are randomly brought up into tubes and then displayed.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press.

"You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

That's gotta be some internet prank!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know, I thought about getting a pick 3 ticket here in KY with those numbers just for the hell of it, and I immediately started thinking how pathetic it would be if a lottery were rigged that way somewhere. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

If this is true, then it's just sickening...random drawing my ass...

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

When I saw this on the news last night my immediate reaction was "That's rigged!", just like everyone else's.

However, I would love to see someone go through the history of all the lottery drawings in every state and see how many times a day's date has popped up as the numbers drawn. Example: if it was March 25, did 325 pop up? Also, someone who is a mathematician could figure out the odds of such an occurence happening and it's probability is going to be higher than we think. Like if it happens next week in North Dakota on September 24, will we say, "Wow, the numbers came up 924, how eerie is that?" Probably not. I'm going to assume it has happens more often than we realize and yesterday's drawing in NY, while eerie and creepy, is just coincidence and we're projecting more attention, meaning and importance into it than is warranted just because of what day it is/was.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Fontcow:
    Also, someone who is a mathematician could figure out the odds of such an occurence happening and it's probability is going to be higher than we think.
    (light bulb flashes)

There are 1000 possible winning numbers in a 3-digit pull. Therefore, the odds of any particular number pooping up are 1 in 1000, or 0.1%. It can be argued that those are the odds of this event occurring.

However, if you want to look deeper, there are 365 days a year, about 310 of them can be represented by a 3-digit number. Combine that with the odds above, you get 1 in (1000*310), or 1 in 310,000.

Further, there are 50 states. Assuming all 50 have such a lottery, then multiply the above figure by that, you get 1 in (310,000*50) or 1 in 15,500,000 odds for that number to come up on that date in that state.

If you take that to mean that there is a 1 in 15,500,000 chance of this event actually happening, then that means there is a 15,499,000 in 15,500,000 chance that it was rigged.

Or you can simply go by the initial figure of 1 in 1000 for a random event, or 999 in 1000 of a rigged lottery.

Either way, those odds aren't good.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.