Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just caught Bill Mahr's show on HBO and I must say I am not surprised at Mr. Mahr's attitude. He is as pompous, arrogant and wrong as ever. What I didn't appreciate was his gag piece on homeland security. My question is this- how do you guys want it? If the government thinks that something could happen and takes the effort to tell you, its a joke. If the govt. has suspicions and doesn't tell you...and something happens...they are motherfuckers who knew and hid the truth from you. I can laugh at just about anything but I think this attitude towards the administrations efforts to be honest with the american people(the first such effort in my short life) is hateful and disturbing. Whether you agree with the administration or not it is wrong to belittle this attempt at honesty and disclosure with the american people. Joke about the president's lexicon, his look, where he is from, but, do not reduce this effort to a fucking joke....you may someday regret it.
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Swage, Mahr is a tard...Dohh, I'm being politcally incorrect . That asshole sealed his fate after his utterly stupid comments after 9-11. I need to stop with my political views, but Bill Mahr is as dried up as the stains on Monica's polka dotted dress.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Do you take the terror color seriously? Do you somehow alter your daily routine based on the color? I don't. It's meaningless to me.

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the onion reports --

WASHINGTON, DC—As an additional reminder that the U.S. is on high alert for terrorist attacks, Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge announced Tuesday that Orange Alert klaxons will blare 24 hours a day in all major cities.

"These 130-decibel sirens, which, beginning Friday, will scream all day and night in the nation's 50 largest metro areas, will serve as a helpful reminder to citizens to stay on the lookout for suspicious activity and be ready for emergency action," Ridge said. "Please note, though, that this is merely a precautionary measure, so go about your lives as normal."

The sirens, Ridge said, will be strategically positioned throughout each city and will be audible within a three-mile radius. The noise will be loud enough to render conversation impossible within a 200-yard range.

"Some may find their normal sleep patterns disrupted, but it's a small price to pay to ensure our collective awareness of the heightened danger," Ridge said. "The key to preventing terrorist attacks is to have the threat constantly on your mind but still remain calm and act normal."

Ridge stressed that the government does not want individuals to let the blaring sirens affect their work or travel plans.

"Go about your usual business," Ridge said. "Of course, while you do so, keep in mind that we are just barely this side of Red Alert, the highest level of danger possible."

Ridge also urged citizens to pay close attention to the sirens' subtle variations.

"The steady 'alert' siren indicates the need to be generally aware of the threat of terrorism," he said. "This is the normal, default siren. The higher-pitched 'wail' siren, on the other hand, means federal authorities have credible information regarding a specific possible threat, and that citizens should ready themselves for the 30 to 50 percent likelihood of an attack. If citizens hear an 'alternating wail' siren, a piercing shriek/whine interrupted every 30 seconds by short bursts of what sounds like gunfire, they need to prepare for the 70 percent chance of a 20 percent more serious disaster. And, finally, a 'pulsating steady' alarm means Americans should have plenty of plastic sheeting and duct tape on hand to make a shelter in the almost guaranteed event of chemical, biological, or radiological attack."

Ridge emphasized that all these alarms merely indicate an Orange Alert state and not a 100 percent definite threat. Should the country be raised to Red Alert status, an entirely different set of patterned horn bursts would be put into use, the details of which will be available at www.fema.gov.

To make the alert system more responsive to subtle fluctuations in the national terror level, five new colors have been added between orange and red.

"The newly added levels are Orange-Red Alert, Red-Orange Alert, Maroon Alert, Burnt Sienna Alert, and Ochre Alert," Ridge said. "They indicate, in ascending order of fear: concern, deep dread, severe apprehension, near-crippling fright, and pants-shitting terror. Please make a note of this."

The sirens have already been introduced on a test basis in New York, San Francisco, and Atlanta. In spite of some complaints, most residents of the three cities are adjusting well to the warnings.

"The sirens are really loud," said San Francisco resident Linda Pearcy, shouting over a horn posted in her backyard. "My dog won't stop barking, and the windows rattle all day long. And I didn't know about the helicopters dropping all the orange slips of paper. I guess I can't complain, though. These are scary times, and the government is doing what it can to make us feel more secure."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:
    Do you take the terror color seriously? Do you somehow alter your daily routine based on the color? I don't. It's meaningless to me.
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] As I've stated, I need to shutup. It's too hard to argue with people when you are not going to change their opinions politically or religiously. To quote Billy Bob, and to praise your political threads "I like tha way he tawlk". I just get too tired to compete with certain posters around here.
    But, MikeL you are a good spokesperson. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ February 26, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Ou812max ]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the government trying to protect citizens is a good thing. the government being honest is a good thing. and i'll be holding a winning lottery ticket before the bush administration is honest with us. do you think duct tape will save anyone from a dirty bomb? i don't even think macgyver could get away with that one.

this administration (like all others before it) has done some stupid things, and people are going to laugh. having tom ridge stand up and say "okay everyone, today is orange. be sure to watch out for fundamentalists driving gasoline trucks into nuclear reactors" doesn't really do anything to make us safer. should i stand at the front of the zoo and yell, "if the animals escaoe their enclosures, try not to get eaten" to all the passers-by?

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's not so much that they're trying to be honest. Sometimes being honest is a stupid thing to do. Can you imagine the panic that would ensue if they announced that a nuke was going to go off in Chicago 20 minutes from now? And can you imagine the pandemonium that ensue if it turned out they were working off bad information when they made that announcement, and nothing actually happened? It's not about honesty.

It's about peace of mind. That's why they've got a very simple system in place that covers the whole country, rather than something more specific for localities. I doubt we'll ever see that terror index go to red (or whatever the worst is) simply because people would panic. On the other hand, if they just leave it in the middle nobody will ever pay attention to it. The cynical side of me says they move it up a notch now and then just to draw attention to it, and keep people thinking.

Check out ready.gov, and read all about microscopic "junk" in the air and how duct tape and plastic sheeting will protect you. We're spending billions on homeland security, and part of it is going towards that. Of course comics are going to lampoon it. It's what they do, ya know?

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:19 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

It's about peace of mind. That's why they've got a very simple system in place that covers the whole country, rather than something more specific for localities.
    But it's not simple Mike. There's several added layers of bureaucracy, newly-created departments, FOG's (friends of George) who got these department posts. Politics. Maybe it's the gov't cynic in me but I believe most of this was created to show the gov't was doing "something". I believe we're safer today than we were on 9/10/01 but I also believe it's got nothing to do with The Dept. of Homeland Security. It's because we have gov't agents and departments that were in place before 9/11 and they're simply doing a good/better job i.e. the Coast Guard, Border Patrol, a few others. Well that's my 2 cents.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I meant simple with regards to their Advisory System. It seems quite silly to me that a 5-level alert status could possibly be taken seriously by anyone. That's covering from Hawaii to Maine. If they really had an interest in letting people know what's going on they'd break it down by region (and that's still very broad) and the type of threat. As it stands it's completely useless.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Yep, I agree, pretty much useless.

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by swage:
    Just caught Bill Mahr's show on HBO and I must say I am not surprised at Mr. Mahr's attitude. He is as pompous, arrogant and wrong as ever. What I didn't appreciate was his gag piece on homeland security.
    Pompous, arrogant and wrong as ever? Wow, sounds like the Bush administration and all their warmongering supporters. Maybe it's important to have a differing opinion once in a while.

My question is this- how do you guys want it? If the government thinks that something could happen and takes the effort to tell you, its a joke.
    Well they won't tell us anything specific. That's a fact. They're just fear mongering. The more afraid they make the public about terrorism, the more support they get from said public. It is about power, controlling the people, elminating opposition to their goals.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, It is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers and pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in every country."

Hermann Goering, President of the Reichstag

Nazi Party, and Luftwaffe Commander in Chief

If the govt. has suspicions and doesn't tell you...and something happens...they are motherfuckers who knew and hid the truth from you.
    Hey, that's what happened on 9/11. I don't see everyone jumping up and down over how the government did nothing with the intelligence they recieved. I see nobody in the media up in arms over the suspicious actions of the government before and during this event. The government will never tell you if something is going to happen, or when. They'll believe you are content with your nice little color coded fear barometer. What are we at now, orange? You feel better now?

I can laugh at just about anything but I think this attitude towards the administrations efforts to be honest with the american people(the first such effort in my short life) is hateful and disturbing.
    You really are naive about how government, especially this administration, works. Politicians and honesty? Please. The Bush admin. hasn't been honest with the public from the get go. No US administration in history has been this secretive, what with eliminating the FOI act, shady circumstances surrounding a 9/11 investigation, and that prick Ari Fleischer

How is questioning the government hatefull and disturbing?? Have we learned nothing from history? Would citizens of Nazi Germany been wrong to criticize their government?? Of course not. People like you would be waving your little swastika around, while helping arrest dissenters.

I don't even see much dissent on tv. The little that is on is in the form of comedy (Daily Show, Bill Maher, Saturday Nite Live). Any serious debate is not as prevalent as it should be. Donahue was just taken off the air because of his dissenting opinion. Bill Maher's show was taken off the air for asking a very valid question. This kind of censorship is sickening. How can people not see the propaganda surrounding us? Not only did Bush get his money from the nazis, his propaganda tactics are just as effective.

Whether you agree with the administration or not it is wrong to belittle this attempt at honesty and disclosure with the american people.
    Spare me.

Joke about the president's lexicon, his look, where he is from, but,
    And we will, over and over. Bush is a moron figurehead. There's no way the village idiot could be concocting the shit this government is coming up with.

do not reduce this effort to a fucking joke....you may someday regret it.
    It is a joke. The joke is on us all. I get the punchline, and it ain't funny. And how exactly will we regret this? The only regret I see is how I wasted my time on jokers like you, trying to convince you that we are being misled.

[ February 27, 2003, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: strungout ]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I try to match my wardrobe with the color scheme. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

Premium Member
    [quote]Originally posted by strungout:
    Donahue was just taken off the air because of his dissenting opinion.
    Donahue was taken off the air because he couldn't get any ratings.

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Elwood P.:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by strungout:
    Donahue was just taken off the air because of his dissenting opinion.
    Donahue was taken off the air because he couldn't get any ratings.
    </font>
    It was a top rated show. Since when do top rated shows not get ratings??

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Top rated where?

Do you have ratings that prove this? Just curious if you did.

I heard it was a ratings/personal thing on O'Reilly yesterday and from what he (Bill O'Reilly) said, he and Phil are cool w/each other so I don't see him making stuff up, even IF Phil is a leftwinger.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003