Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This one goes out to Yankee Rose, the resident SF fanatic.

First of all, yes, we know Street Fighter has a lot of games...

Street Fighter
    Street Fighter 2
    Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Super Street Fighter 2
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Street Fighter 3
    Street Fighter 3 II Impact
    Street Fighter 3 III Impact
    X-Men vs. Street Fighter
    Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
    Capcom vs. SNK

The sad thing, naturally, is how bad Capcom USA has butchered the storyline. From what I understand, there are some differences.

For example, Ryu and Ken's teacher was the brother of Akuma. Their teacher taught the form of martial arts that Ryu and Ken use (the US version is called "Shotokan," but the Japanese version is called something like Anasetsu) but left out a move he never sought to master - one that would utterly kill it's victim. Akuma, however, knew and mastered this move, which unlocked what is roughly translated into the, "Murderous Intent," in him. He fought and killed Ryu and Ken's teacher while the two were away at the World Warrior tournament.

Let's not forget Dan, "The Man," Hibiki though. As the storyline goes, Dan's father, Go Hibiki, fought Sagat (who was the reigning Mui Tai champion in Tailand) and succeeded in putting out Sagat's eye (the one with the patch). Enraged, Sagat accidentally killed Go. Dan enrolled with Ryu and Ken's teacher to learn the Anasetsu style in order to get revenge, but he was turned away with his training incomplete when this was discovered (hence in the game he has a sort of bastadized "shoto" style).

The first World Warrior's tourney, as the story goes, ended with a battle between Ryu and Sagat. Sagat had Ryu on the ropes, ready to finish him off when something in Ryu snapped - the "Murderous Intent" (essentially, anyone who focuses on Anasetsu too heavily and gets too "in" to it can snap and become a killing machine). Ryu landed a cheap shot on Sagat, defeating him and scarring his chest badly. As such, Ryu became the champion and Sagat swore an oath of vengence against him.

The events of the Alpha series occur between tournaments. We get the appearance of M. Bison (Vega is his Japanese name). Bison is a sort of enigma. There is some evidence that Bison is more of a cerebral parasite - a soul without a body that inhabits that of the strong down through history. His Shadowloo organization was built primarily out of Tailand where he experimented with Psycho Power - the power that he used in battle. Bison was served by 13 "dolls" - people who had been brainwashed into serving him and housing a fraction of his psycho power. Cammy was the first of which, and Juni and Juli in SFA3 are two more. Bison had a machine that would allow him to drain the energy of a combatant and transfer it as psycho energy into himself. His goal was Ryu, for in Ryu he sensed an unmatched amount of power.

In fact, during the fight against Ryu, Bison succeeded in brainwashing him. Ken, Dan, and Sagat had to team up to restore Ryu to normal. It was during this series of events that Bison's machine exploded, freeing the dolls (without their memory) and killing Guile's partner Charlie.

A couple random notes from this: Sagat willingly lost to both Dan and Sodom in this sequence. He felt the only way to give Dan peace was to allow him to win in a fight. Sodom's victory served to grant him the title of Mui Tai champion.

Bison later resurfaced and sponsored a World Warriors tournament, hoping to lure Ryu back and get another chance at him. Of course, this also brought many others into action - Chun li seeking her father's killer, Guile seeking revenge for Charlie, Ken wanting to test his might, etc, etc. In the end, it came down to Ryu and Bison again, but Bison didn't get the chance to have a shot at Ryu. Akuma appeared out of nowhere and killed Bison, wishing to fight Ryu. Akuma sensed that Ryu had the same power inside him, and more than anything else Akuma wanted to find someone who was enough of a match for him that he could die in combat (wierd guy).

Anywho, Ryu made it out of the battle alive, but without defeating Akuma. Another World Warrior tournament was held later by someone claiming to be a god or something, and the wrestler Alex won that one. Ryu and Ken didn't really compete in the third. Ken served mostly to take Sean on as a student.

And no, Ryu never did become Sakura's teacher. She asked, but he said he couldn't teach while he was still learning himself.

Some name differences between US and Japan SF:

M. Bison - Vega
    Balrog - M. Bison
    Vega - Balrog
    Akuma - Gouki
    Charlie - Nash
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Great topic Stuff! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I like the original Street Fighter for SNES the best, I find that there are a lot of weak characters in the sequels. I think the only character that is difficult to use in the original is Zangief.

I remember I signed up for a SF II tournament when I was younger, and I remember that it was supposed to be held in a few months, so I played that game constantly and I got really good at it! Unforunately they cancelled it because not enough people entered it. [img]redface.gif[/img]

I have beat it with all the characters on level 7.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Damn!

Zangief was always a bit of a pud when it came to that game. His "most devistating move" was some impossible to perform 360 degree controller motion. E Honda was another clunker.

Something I never liked was the "charge" moves. Why couldn't Guile's sonic boom have been a tap back then forward or just the generic fireball motion? It wasn't like the move was all that more powerful than the (easier to perform) fireball of Ryu, Ken, or Sagat.

X-Men vs. Street Fighter is still probably my favorite game out of all of them. Air blocking, super jumps, air fireballs, and those wicked super move fireballs that are like solid laser beams. That was some nasty twitch fighting going on right there. I'd always tear things up with the duo of Akuma and Wolverine.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Why did you write damn Stuff?

Yeah the X-Men vs. SF II game was great, I only played it on arcade though.

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Damn was in reference to beating the game on level 7.

I had SF2 Special Champion Edition for the Genesis (basically both Champion and Turbo in one game). Anything above four stars was gawd-awful, but below that and you wouldn't get an ending.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Cool. I played that game for the Genesis. Did you ever see SF II the animated movie? It's great!

I recently bought Street Fighter Alpha the movie on DVD and I thought it was average. I have a bunch of the anime episodes that only aired on T.V. in Japan, I think they are really cool.

-- John Entwistle

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Holy crap. I've never witnessed such love for Street Fighter. I remember staying up way late with some buddies playing SF2: Championship for SNES when I was in junior high.

Yoga fire.

The game I was obsessed with the most as a kid, hands down, was Sierra's Football Pro '95. Best computer football game ever created. They had career franchise mode way back in '93. Complete play design. Total roster management. Training camp. Trading. College drafing. Good God, it rocked.

All of the console video games that I obsessed over are pretty old school... NES type stuff. I remember playing Contra for hours in elementary school. Same with River City Ransom, TMNT, Mega Man II and III, Super Mario III.

When I get drunk enough, I'm known to go off on this long, rambling, rant about how video games peaked at or around 1994 and have been in steady decline ever since. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    DtK<br /><br /><i>"<b>Do</b> something."</i>

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

I like all of those NES games Danny! Contra, Mega Man II, Turtles and Mario III were some of my favorites, and are all classics IMO. I agree that video games peaked around 94, I haven't bought a game in years, I just can't get into them anymore.

SF II is the greatest game though. I found that a lot of the moves used in SF II were used in many of the other fighting games too, so I was good at almost all fighting games because of my street fighter training.

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    What was the name of the green hairy dude? I always used to just play him. I'd just sit around and glow. Never used to win much but it cracked me up.

Hairy green glowing motherfuckers RULE
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Blanka, Goo. And basically in his story he was just "some guy." Plane crashes in Brazil after being struck by lightning. Kid survives but is turned into a bestial freak by it. Got to love the early '90s idea of mutations [img]smile.gif[/img]

Let me just say, old school rocks. Megaman 2, Super Mario 2, CastleVania 2, Kirby's Adventure, Dragon Warrior 2, Final Fantasy, River City Ransom, TMNT 2... The NES sure was good to us.

Though I still insist the gamer's system was the Saturn.

Say, Yankee, have you ever watched Street Fighter 2 V? A friend of mine reccommended it to me. Seems it covers the early days of Ryu and Ken.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Saturn?? Playa' please.

We were one of those "Ninendo only" families, which was fine with me. I always thought Genesis sucked. But, most of my friends at college were Genesis kids, and they had a whole different way of life. They have a god, and NHL '94 be his name.

The only non-Nintendo system I ever wanted was an Atari Lynx. It was color, man. Color!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Yeah I have Street Fighter 2 V, it's really good. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I like the animated movie the best though, they play a lot of hard rock music in it too. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

-- John Entwistle

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Btw, I don't know where else to put this, but...

www.actsofgord.com

Most downright hillarious Web site in the world. It's the story of a Canadian video game store owner named Gord. He writes stories about all of the crazy things he goes through with his customers.

He's planning on selling t-shirts with a Dreamcast logo and the caption, "Why didn't you love me?" Gord cracks me up.

It's a funny read for anyone who knows video games and video game culture, and even for those who don't.

Gotta love Canadians.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DannyTheKid:
    Btw, I don't know where else to put this, but...

www.actsofgord.com

Most downright hillarious Web site in the world. It's the story of a Canadian video game store owner named Gord. He writes stories about all of the crazy things he goes through with his customers.

He's planning on selling t-shirts with a Dreamcast logo and the caption, "Why didn't you love me?" Gord cracks me up.

It's a funny read for anyone who knows video games and video game culture, and even for those who don't.

Gotta love Canadians.
    <hr></blockquote>I don't know what to make of that Gord guy, I like the Gotta love Canadians part of the post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-- John Entwistle

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, you guys rock. I may just be romanticizing the areas of Canada that I've been to, but it just seems so much more... peaceful up there. Traffic isn't as bad, rivers and lakes are less of a mess, you can still have small mom and pop stores and coffee shops. Seems like all we have these days are Wal Marts and Starbucks.

All the while, technology seems to be thriving, you've got a strong national culture, pretty cool government, platinum mines up the wazoo, and you seem to have avoided the ire of the Taliban.

Your football league sucks, but lets face it, you can't have it all.