Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...the Australian refugee situation?
    What impression do you people have of it, and how do the Aussies come off to the world?
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please forgive my ignorace, but I don't know of what you are speaking. Can you give me a url or the lowdown on what it is? You would think that with all of today's technology, we would all know everything about every other country, but that just isn't the case.
    Since you asked, it must be important to you and I will make an honest effort to give my take after I have figured out what you are talking about. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    I think you'll find this isnt as heavily reported overseas as our local media would have you belive Sean. It's pretty much just a local issue.

I gotta head off to work now but I'll post some thoughts tonight.

Hopefully Sean can find a few links for you guys. a google search for 'australian' 'boat people' 'woomera' and/or 'tampa' might find some info I guess.

[ November 18, 2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fuck 'em. Australia has limited resources and realistically can't spare much. Then you run the risk of being overrun by Moslem extremists like parts of Europe.

Two things need to happen, those fucking boat people should stay at home and mount a revolution there and Australia needs to tripple the size of her Navy.

Hey, the sharks got to eat too.

Your buddy, Axxman...somewhere in occupied Mexico.

[ November 18, 2002, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Axxman300 ]
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    I dunno what the answer is. But I'll throw a few points out that I think are relevent.

-Our illegal immigrant problem is miniscule compared to most western style countries, by a factor of 10 or more. The hysteria whipped up in the local press is beyond me.

-We have every right to detain and interrogate these people, and we should. However I'm not totally convinced that housing them in the middle of a desert is totally nessecary or practical.

-Osama Bin laden will NOT be sending terrorists to australia via leaky boats from indonesia, He's invested time and money in these guys and they'll walk in through the main arrival gate at Mascot airport, same as the assholes that flew planes into buildings in the US

-Axxman bought up the point of Australias defenses, and its very valid. We rely on the US to get us out of any major pickle that may eventuate, but our own defense is barely capable of patrolling our borders - this isnt good enough. Money should be pumped in here to get our defense forces up by say 40-50% over ten years. Realistic target.

Just a few thoughts

[ November 19, 2002, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, we have hundreds of perfectly good deystroyers, frigates and what not in mothballs. All your govenment has to do is ask and well get them to you dirt cheap.

Just use the words "War On Terror".
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Stereotypical Ignorant US Citizen Response:

Australia? Where in the US is that state?

God love us Americans, but we're ignorant when it comes to current events in the rest of the world. Our "world news" just amounts to US activities elsewhere in the world.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I've seen a few reports on this situation... if you watch CNN real late at night or real early in the morning you get a lot more international news.

Appears to be a very simular problem of people seeking out a better life for themselves in another country that has greener grass per se.

Simular to the US even Australia's poorest people live better lives than a lot of these refugees do. Unfortunately you just can't open up your borders and let every down and out person in. Plus sending aid to these countries usually just helps the bastards that are making life hell on the people who flee already.

Education is the key... you know the old saying "Give a person a fish and feed them for a day... Teach a person to fish and you feed them for a lifetime"

I think if we can find ways for people to improve their own lives and not tolerate these greedy, corrupt, murdering bastards that hold these people down... eventually life can improve for most of the world... tall order.

It's shame so many people fight and die over such a small particle of dust in the middle of this vast universe. We really are insiginificant in the larger scheme of life... but unfortunately too few can step back to look far enough beyond their own noses to realize there's more than power money and greed over this speck of dust!!!
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Stuff, the news can only report so much, and each country will of course broadcast more information on their interests than another, unless you live in Canada When I lived overseas, there was little about the US, and any country not in Europe for that matter unless it was something huge. My folks live in Eastern Europe, and even the WTC atrocity didn't get as much coverage as you would think... Here it was 24x7, there it was bits and pieces mixed in with other news. Sure it's annoying somtimes, but were not all ignorant to what's going on in the world. Lord knows if I had more time, I would love to find out about the little problems other nations face, but there's just not enough time in the day. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Refugee Action Committee

Here's a link (if I've done it right!) to an action group with regard to the refugees.
    Please remember that this is an action group...the views on this site are biased!
    It's actualy not that easy to find stuff on this issue...perhaps it's not the drama it is made out to be here.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I usually check the BBC's website.

I say, let China take them in. They have the assets and the GNP to absorb them.

Then if they don't want to go to China then I'd sermize that they ain't so desperate.

It's personal with me, I wanted to move to Austraia back in the 1980's and they have tough immagration standards so I couldn't go. Plus, if I had been allowed to move there it would have been only for four years. Okay, fair enough. But if I show up on a beach somewhere they're supposed to take me in? Give me a break.

My Blog: