Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This has been a heavily debated subject lately. Here is an article I found on the topic (both sides equally represented)

Who's better, Iverson or Bryant?
    SportsLine.com staff

June 8, 2001

While Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson do battle on the court in the NBA Finals, the question arises: Which is the better player to build a team around? SportsLine.com's Tony Mejia (Allen Iverson) and Greg Bromberg (Kobe Bryant) argue the cases.

Kobe Bryant vs. Allen Iverson

Kobe Bryant(AP)

Allen Iverson(AP)

Height: 6-7
    Weight: 210
    Experience: 5 seasons

Player profile
    Splits
    Game log
    Height: 6-0
    Weight: 165
    Experience: 5 seasons

Player profile
    Splits
    Game log

Only one player from Larry Brown's first roster in Philadelphia (1997-98) suited up for Game 1 of the NBA Finals -- Allen Iverson. That's no coincidence considering the Sixers needed a major overhaul, but had the man to build a title contender around already in place.

Iverson, all 72 inches of him, is pound for pound the top basketball player in the world today. There's no one quicker and no one (sorry, Kobe Bryant) who can get any shot he wants, any time he wants, the way Iverson can.

Some would question Iverson's character, but Iverson's on court record speaks for itself. I would want to build around a winner. Someone who is genuine in every phase of his life. That's unquestionably Iverson.

This is the season the newly-turned 26-year-old Iverson has put it all together. He's grown up as a player and a person. Earlier questions about his character stemming from the over-publicized high school brawl he was involved in were over-blown by the media.

And while he doesn't don a suit for post-game press conferences, opting for the more fashionable bandana and dark shades combo, Iverson isn't out to be an ambassador for the game. He's there to play, not appease people's expectations of what an NBA star should look like.

Iverson leaves it all on the court, throwing himself into players that often outweigh him by 100 pounds or more. This is a player who drank his own blood to avoid coming out of a game with a cut lip because his team couldn't afford his absence. That speaks volumes about his leadership.

His relationship with Coach Larry Brown, which used to be volatile, has improved due to his personal growth. And most important, so have the Sixers. Backcourt mates Aaron McKie and Eric Snow were NBA afterthoughts prior to joining forces with Iverson. Both are now practically household names. The team won 18 games before drafting him as the top selection of the 1996 NBA Draft. The team's winning percentage has increased every year since.

Numbers don't lie, and I'll argue until I'm blue in the face that there is no way Bryant would have won an NBA title without Shaquille O'Neal or even put them in position to win one the way Iverson has done for Philadelphia.

Choose the media-savvy Bryant to build my team around over Iverson, the league's most dominant little guy? Not if it's mia casa.

-- Tony Mejia

If I had the choice of selecting either Kobe Bryant or Allen Iverson to build my team around, I would choose Bryant. Both players are extremely talented and represent the very best the league has to offer. However, Bryant has a more complete game than Iverson, and when all is said and done, he will have a greater impact on the game. I back this up with the following evidence.

Bryant owns an NBA title and was named to the First Team NBA-Defensive Team in 2000, becoming the youngest player in league history to accomplish such a feat. In addition, he has been named to the All-NBA team the last three seasons (Second Team in 2000-01, Second Team in 1999-00 and Third Team in 1998-99).

It may be argued the preceding accolades do not compare to what Iverson has accomplished, having just earned an MVP award and all. I would contend, however, that Bryant is only 22-years-old. He is still a kid. At times, he may make some questionable on-court decisions that reflect his age, but you can't argue that his production has increased in each of his five years in the league. Also, we have yet to see Bryant's best game. Imagine how good he will be two years from now, or five years down the road. Scary, isn't it?

Not only has his scoring increased each season, from 7.6 points a game his rookie season to 28.5 points a game in the 2000-01 season, but his shot selection has improved as well. After shooting 41 percent from the field in his rookie year, Bryant knocked in 46 percent of his shots over the last three seasons. Much of that success can be attributed to his dedication to improving his perimeter game. Iverson, meanwhile, has hovered around 42 percent from the field during his career. If Bryant took as many shots as Iverson, he'd average over 30 points a game too!

Defensively, Bryant is a tremendous man-to-man defender. Don't read too much into his defensive stats, which don't necessarily jump out at you. This guy can flat-out defend. He is routinely guarding some of the NBA's best players. His height and athleticism create problems for opposing players and he has already shown that he can shut down the best, including Iverson.

In short, I would select Bryant over Iverson because of his potential. In time, he will become an even greater offensive player and a peerless defender. His leadership skills, his basketball I.Q. and his ability to dominate a game will fall into place.

Iverson may be known as "The Answer," but Bryant is the one who formulated the question.

-- Greg Bromberg

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 16,556 Times in 9,387 Posts

IMO, the 5 best basketball players in the NBA.

(1) Shaquille O'Neal
    (2) Kobe Bryant
    (3) Tim Duncan
    (4) Allen Iverson
    (5) Tracy McGrady

I challenge anyone to come up with 5 players who could beat these guys. Good luck.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. Allen Iverson
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. Tracy McGrady
    4. Shaq
    5. Tim Duncan

Reason for Shaq at # 4. Okay, the guy snags alot of rebounds. Wow! He's bigger than everybody else, he's heavier, he's thicker, he's stronger, & he gets alot of calls. As for points, great, same reasons, plus, he takes most of his shots from two feet away. And how about free throws. The guy is about as consistent as Van Halen w. lead singers.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 16,556 Times in 9,387 Posts

Hooligan,

Yes, Shaq sucks at the free throw line. He also had 28 points, 20 rebounds, 9 assists and 8 blocked shots friday night. But, because he's bigger than everybody else, we should diminish his accomplishments? Should we say the same thing about Iverson because he's quicker than everybody else? I didn't think so.

When all is said and done, the Lakers will win the championship and Shaq will be named MVP of the finals for the second consecutive year. Shaq is far and away the most dominant player in the NBA.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"