Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NFL denied a request from Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning to wear black hightop shoes for Sunday's home game against the Miami Dolphins.

Manning

Manning made the request to honor former Baltimore Colts quarterback Johnny Unitas, who died of a heart attack Wednesday in Baltimore at the age of 69. Unitas wore trademark hightop black shoes throughout his NFL career.

The league said in a statement Friday that no team other than the Baltimore Ravens will be allowed to wear a patch or armband on their uniforms during Sunday's games to honor Unitas.

Teams throughout the league will hold a moment of silence prior to the kickoff of all games Sunday, according to a statement from commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

League spokesman Steve Alic said a similar situation arose in 1999, when former Chicago Bears running back Walter Payton died of a liver ailment.

Several players, including St. Louis Rams running back Marshall Faulk, wanted to change jersey numbers to Payton's familiar 34 to honor the NFL's career rushing leader. But only the Chicago Bears, Payton's former team, were allowed to wear patches or armbands in remembrance.

Both Manning, who already ordered four pairs of the black hightops, and team president Bill Polian said they understand the league's decision. But that didn't change their feelings.

"Somebody's passed away. I don't want to create a controversy over it,'' Manning said. "I did talk to one of (Unitas') sons, Joe, last night. He said he thought that it would be great, he'd love it.

"But the league called Bill this morning and said absolutely not. It would result in a horrendous fine, so Bill just said that he would recommend that I don't do it.''

Polian agreed with Manning, although he was disappointed in the league's decision.

"It was Peyton's intention to do the right thing for a man who's done magnificent things for the NFL,'' Polian said. "How that squares with not being allowed to do it is beyond me, but I don't make those decisions.''

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    It would be cool if Manning said, "fuck the rules, I'm going OG Tops Sunday!"

I can understand the theory behind this rule for obvious reasons, but it would be very cool if he did wear the tops. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah fuck the rules, Manning better be wearing those high tops Sunday! Unless it's a bannable offense I couldn't see him not wearing the damn shoes. A hefty fine is all he would endure no?
    Ooh, mama, see the firelights<br />Ooh, lightin' up the sky<br />Light 'em up!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/"5150"
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/"5150"
    Last Online

02.09.12 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

F*ck Tagliabue! Wear 'em Peyton!! How much could the fine be anyway - no doubt a drop in the bucket for him.
    New England Patriots.
    Super Bowl XXXVI Champions
    Super Bowl XXXVIII Champions
    Super Bowl XXXIX Champions

"My favorite ring is the next one..." - Tom Brady

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:40 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

That sucks! Whats the harm in letting Peyton wear the black hightops to honor one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game?

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    The league said in a statement Friday that no team other than the Baltimore Ravens will be allowed to wear a patch or armband on their uniforms during Sunday's games to honor Unitas.

- SNIP -

"But the league called Bill this morning and said absolutely not. It would result in a horrendous fine, so Bill just said that he would recommend that I don't do it.''

Polian agreed with Manning, although he was disappointed in the league's decision.

"It was Peyton's intention to do the right thing for a man who's done magnificent things for the NFL,'' Polian said. "How that squares with not being allowed to do it is beyond me, but I don't make those decisions.''
    Screw the moment of silence, this is how the NFL pays 'tribute' to Johnny U...

How unbelievably lame. Hopefully, Peyton wears the black high-tops anyway and says after the game, "Fine me all you want; give the money to charity." He'd not only score some new fans, but he'd also shame the NFL into doing something worthwhile... While it's busy playing fashion police.

At a time when this generation's players should be celebrating and embracing players like Johhny U, the league is nitpicking uniforms?
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Is it illegal to wear black high tops????

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, i'm curious as to the dress code in the NFL any other given day.

great post DIF, by the way.

i think tagliabue has his head up his ass.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ya, the nfl really dropped the ball on this one.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Crown Royal:
    Is it illegal to wear black high tops????

Apparently a team before the beginning of the season has their choice of uniform gear to wear throughout the year, and if they deviate from that anytime during the season the player(s) will get fined. The Colts could've chosen to wear black tops (they had picked white instead) and it wouldn't have been illegal, but of course, there was no way of knowing that Johnny U was going to pass away...
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks Scott, I didn't know that!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:13 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

In a related topic, the league also denied Kordell Stewart's request to wear a black nightie as well.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Eddymon:
    In a related topic, the league also denied Kordell Stewart's request to wear a black nightie as well.
    Jesus Christ Eddymon, that's the best thing you ever posted. I didn't know you were funny. [img]tongue.gif[/img] LMAO here man. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,480 Times in 902 Posts

The NFL was wrong for denying him. Peyton Manning is one of the most standup guys in the league who just wanted to give props to one of the best ever. Even though the Colts are in Indy, they're still the Colts. The team in Baltimore were the old Browns. Yet, the league had no problem with the Ravens QB wearing the high-tops.

NFL = No Fucking cLue.

Ok that was a strech with the letters.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com