Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everyone who uses Napster take warning-the court is scheduled to deliver its decision this upcoming Monday. Knowing this, I imagine traffic at the site will be at an all-time high. The 'experts' (whatever that means) are predicting a complete shutdown of the service until it finds a way to bill the users, as per the original decision. So if you have downloads to find, you may wish to step on it!

On a VH related note, some have predicted that the band was waiting for the shutting down of Napster to release any information or music. While I personally doubt this, it is certainly within the realm of possibility. Somehow I get the idea that the Pressure Dome will be riddled with hopes and predictions surrounding the court's decision.

Actually, I think the last time the band made an official statement came shortly after the court decision in Marbury vs Madison.

Or was it Judge Wapner's final decision on the People's Court?

The same day Judge Judy was friendly? (nah, that ain't NEVER gonna happen! )

Anyway....just a reminder to fulfill all your downloading needs before the axe falls.

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I love Napster and have been using it for a long time. If they shut down or start charging that would suck, but if it will get us new Van Halen, it's worth it.

------------------
    "We will be making some announcements very soon. All I can really tell you is we're in the studio working on new material, there will be a new Van Halen coming out, and it sounds great." --Michael Anthony, 1/22/01

Dan Halen

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I understand that by summer Napster will be charging a subscription fee. I'm interested to see how much this will be.

------------------
    More perks than Elvis' night stand!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.23.07 @ 01:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I keep hearing that the charge will be somewhere in the $4.95 area. Seems too low to be true IMO.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lake of Fire:
    I keep hearing that the charge will be somewhere in the $4.95 area. Seems too low to be true IMO.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Is that per year?

I agree, that seems pretty low. Not that I'd complain if that was the figure.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

$4.95 per month I think

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.23.07 @ 01:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, that would be per month. That's still pretty decent considering all of the live, unreleased, and out of print stuff that's out there. By my house, independant CD stores are selling live bootleg CD's (excuse me . . . "Import". . . LOL) for $29.95.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I think I speak for all Napster users when I say that really sucks!!!!

------------------
    Right Now you're reading my post!
    She's a vision from coast to coast...
    Kicking back ain't kicking you...
    Don't disturb my paradise,
    i've asked you once, I asked you nice...
    Up Front Fanatics!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Well as much as I hate to say it, if they go to a charge type system I hope Metallica $crew$ the hell out of them. (I can't believe I just said that!). I've been for Napster since day one, but will be erasing the program if they charge. Their whole argument has been that they were merely providing a means for people to share "their" music. Guess I'll have to start using www.Scour.net

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    There was MP3's before napster. I used to trawl through FTP sites to find stuff.. it was kinda fun.

ANyways another good alternative is www.audiogalaxy.com

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Know what I don't get about this stuff? Why don't the Napster people just set up shop in a country where there isn't such a thing as intellectual property? Probably a dumb question.

VoodooQueen
    They just banned napster here on campus

------------------
    "Van Halen is a band-not the Sammy Hagar show, not the Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen or Michael Anthony show. We could be called Piss for all I care, but we are a band" -Edward Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find it kind of odd that a band as Metallica who gained a fan based in the early 80's from the underground of their fans trading tapes of their songs and shows, are suddenly against Napster. I guess once you have made it, and your pocket book is affected, you start bitching. I'd bet if Napster was around in the early 80's and fans were trading Metallica, they would be all for it, in order to gain fame.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 06:25 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

Fellows, as someone who plans on practicing as an intellectual property attorney, and as someone who believes whole-heartedly in the rights of creators, I wish to make a few comments.

1) The institution of copyright is based on the idea that if creators are given incentives to create, the public will benefit through those creations. Without market incentives, the level and quality of creation may suffer.

Suppose you are an artist who is struggling to make it. You create a work that becomes successful in the market. But, because of Napster (or like companies), you do not realize enough of a profit to cover the costs that you expended in creating that work. It is unlikely that you will continue to produce such works in light of someone else cutting into your potential profits.

2) Napster can continue to operate legally, and ethically, if it gains waivers from artists. Now, the likelihood of gaining a waiver from a known artist is slim. So, Napster's function would be to serve those artists that are not well known. It would put their product into the market at a low cost. The contract would have to be worked out to limit Napster's period of exploitation (such as 6 months or so). But Napster can still have a viable function w/o violating copyright laws of major artists.

3) MikeL: There are probably few, if any, countries that refuse to recognize intellectual property. I think the Phillipines is one. But these countries have little influence in the global intellectual property market.

Also, transmitting from a site outside the US does not necessarily insulate a company from litigation w/in the US. There are several cyberlaw cases that suggest if your product is viewed in certain areas, whether you intended it or not, there is a strong likelihood of that area gaining jurisdiction over the transmitter or website owner.

------------------
    Its a prehistoric fish...Coelacanth.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Damn Olen, it's been a long time, how are ya?

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com