Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Most of us didn't get MTV until 1984. So we got our video fix on a show called Night Flight on the USA network. It ran for three or four hours on Friday and Saturday nights. The hours were broken up into new stuff, top 10 and Heavy Metal.
    They played Duran Duran's "Girl On Film" while MTV banned it. This was where most of us saw our first music videos, not MTV. I remember hanging out with my buds, drinking beer and watching this every Friday night.

Night Flight was a big part of the early 1980's for many of us old dudes.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yep, I remember Night Flight ( I also remember Rhonda Shear from "Up All Night", but that's a different story... [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

I was fortunate enough to have MTV the day it came on the air. We had just gotten cable a month or so before that, and I remember a friend calling me, pissing his pants and telling me "Turn on channel 14!!!!!.

After that, "Night Flight" was not much to look at, but I can see how it would have been a goldmine for peeps that didn't have MTV yet.

MTV has sucked for years now, but I still have fond memories of those first few years. I miss hearing that original guitar chord theme with the astronaut and flag, not to mention the cool little animation segments they moved up to while that theme was playing. Teens today simply cannot relate to the euphoria of an all-music video emerging for the first time. Not to mention they don't have a clue about what MTV was all about when it began. Now it's a bunch of lame, stupid shows and rap shit. Which is ironic, because there was such a big deal about MJ being the first black artist played on MTV.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

don't forget about Video Jukebox every now and then on HBO...at least they would run the same show a couple times a week, so you could tape it if you had one of those $800 VCR thingys...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 969 Times in 389 Posts

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    Yep, I remember Night Flight ( I also remember Rhonda Shear from "Up All Night", but that's a different story... [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

LMFAO!

dude i so remember that...LOL!

she did friday and gilbert gotfried did sat night. the friday movies were way better.

"this is rhonda shear and you're watching usa UP, alll niiiight" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    don't forget about Video Jukebox every now and then on HBO...at least they would run the same show a couple times a week, so you could tape it if you had one of those $800 VCR thingys...
    I remember those days! That was my first taste of music videos as well! My dad bought what seemed to be the prototype of the VCR that was gigantic, the buttons had to be pressed down and locked in like an old-school tape-recorder, and the "remote" was the size of a telephone and had a 6 foot wire attached to the VCR!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

MTV, like Rolling Stone magazine, sold out a long time ago. True, they are both businesses, but they only cater to whatever crap is hot at that time, while trying to take credit for making it hot in the first place... Ahhhh... I miss the good ol' days. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I think by the time I picked up on "Night Flight", they were usually using the space to show concert videos. I saw U2 "Live at Red Rocks" on there and also "The Song Remains The Same". I remember that HBO Jukebox thingy, too. My main video fix until my town got M-TV was via "Friday Night Videos" on NBC.
    See where M-TV is planning on only having only like 10 videos in rotation now? What a shame that's the same station where we saw Live Aid and had a chance to win a "Lost Weekend With Van Halen" [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

I remember watching Night Flight, that was a great show.

I remember in either 84 or 85 I crashed out in front of the T.V. one night and woke up a little while later and my older brother was watching Night Flight. As I'm waking up I'm hearing a familiar tune.....'Pretty Woman'. I about shit my pants because as everybody knows that video was banned from MTV and here it was on Night Flight.

I also remember seeing one of the videos from the VH II promos (I think it was 'Dance The Night Away') on there also (which MTV never played). I didn't know those even existed until I saw that.

Ahhh good times. Thanks for the flashback Axx. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    M*U*L*E

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

women and children frist
    Favorite VH Song

so this is love
    Last Online

03.06.09 @ 06:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i saw van halen(the "so this is love" live from `81 vid) [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] dokken, ratt, judas priest,loudness,warlock,defleppard and so many others on that show it was cool!!!!!
    i had a tape from that years ago, but the "X"
    taped over it argghhhhh...maybe someday they do a flash back show!!!

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Here in Canada (maybe the US as well???) it used to "Friday Night Videos" or something like that.

Got to stay up real late and watch all the new videos and tape them on this huge beta max vcr!!!

Those were the days.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Night Flight!!! Wow, that's a blast from the past. That was one show I watched quite a bit.

Memories...
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by Crown Royal:
    Here in Canada (maybe the US as well???) it used to "Friday Night Videos" or something like that.

Got to stay up real late and watch all the new videos and tape them on this huge beta max vcr!!!

Those were the days.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    yep...i remember...lol
    and the power hour here in t.o. after school...

[ January 07, 2003, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: muffdiver ]

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by twonabomber:
    I remember those days! That was my first taste of music videos as well! My dad bought what seemed to be the prototype of the VCR that was gigantic, the buttons had to be pressed down and locked in like an old-school tape-recorder, and the "remote" was the size of a telephone and had a 6 foot wire attached to the VCR!</font>[/QUOTE]how about having to turn those little tiny-ass knobs to tune the individual channel presets on the VCR? eventually i just got another cable box and used it to tune channels, and recorded everything on Ch. 3 on the VCR...and our Betamax only had a pause button on the remote, and it was tethered by a 12-foot cable...our cable box had a remote about the size of a Colecovision controller, and it was attached by a phone cable. that was nice, i'd throw the remote at my brother when he pissed me off, then i could reel it back in and throw it again...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I remember it as "Friday Night Video's" as well, not night flight, but it was major kick ass to look forward to regardless the name. Asia, Duran Duran, Halen, Dio, Phil Collins, MJ. All good stuff at the time.

Then Headbangers ball came out and it was all over for me. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"Friday Night Videos" was on NBC.

Rhonda...that was her name. I think everyone was sporting wood for her.

That was when cable TV was fun. Nobody was watching and they had no money all 24 hours of programming to fill. Didn't CBS do "Videos Till Dawn"?

Man I'm old.

I just thought I'd throw this out there because if you watched the "I Love The 80s" series on VH1 then you're under the impression that there was nothing cool on TV. Hell, I'd forgotten about the local channels from the San Francisco Bay Area. channel 13 and Channel 44 both on the weekends would have shows dedicated to local rock acts or in concert type movies. One of them showed "Black & Blue"- the Blue Oyster Cult/ Black Sabbathw/ Dio film that was great.I'm sure other cities did the same. I know LA had some shows dedicated to the underground there. Black Flg, thingslike that.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300