Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, where to start?
    Pardon me if I get a little bit too comic-book geeky in my review and I'll make it spoiler-proof....
    Remember that awesome feeling of seeing the first Superman movie featuring Christopher Reeve?( Hell, I had the same feeling with Superman 2! Watching those bad-ass mother fuckers beat the shit out of Supes in the middle of Metropolis and Superman having to fly away like a whipped-dog.) Sure, some of the special effects were a little on the cheesy side, but technology has come a long way....or has it?

Which leads to my opinion of Spider-Man. I thought it was a great adaption of the comic and it remained pretty true to it's source. There's alot the makers of the movie crammed into 2 hours and that's a pretty tough thing to do. This movie was basically the set-up of the origin of Peter Parker turning into Spider-Man. One big liberty taken with turning it into a believeable movie was having Parker have organic web-shooters as opposed to the mechanical-ones he creates in the comic. It makes sense! How could a teenager invent such an inventive product under the noses of the Elmer's glue people? It'd take a team of scientists! So, the organic web-shooters fit perfectly. There's a build-up of Parker learning his powers, but they made a couple of goofs if he were trying to keep it a secret. (See the Flash Thompson fight and you'll know what I mean!) It'll make you scratch your head and wonder just how dumb a person can be. (Kinda like Clark Kent's lame glasses disguise!)
    The reasoning behind the Green Goblin's "Power Ranger" get-up makes more sense plot-wise than wearing a rubber-mask like in the comic, but I saw way-cooler designs that were considered in the "making of" book that should've been used instead.
    Visually, the movie is great and it'll remind you of some of the color-schemes Burton used in "Batman".
    Here are my complaints:
    Sam Raimi, the director: I've been a huge fan of his since Evil Dead and I figured he was a great pick for this. Yet, he barely puts any of his visual-style to great use in the picture. (Maybe that was SONY keeping him on a leash since they spent so much dough acquiring this) There aren't any real visual "stamps" that you would come to expect from him-he may have used them all up for the under-rated "DarkMan" movie. Hopefully,the sequel for which he just signed up for, he'll have free reign. (Doc Ock and The Lizard are heavily rumored for the villians, a mistake! Don't include 2 villians!)
    The casting: Casting was nearly perfect. NEARLY! Tobey was great, Kirsten was great, and Willem DaFoe was cool, if not a little over the top. I was disappointed in them hiring a "no-name" for Flash Thompson and his role was greatly diminished from what was in the books. JK Simmons was PERFECT for J.Jonah Jameson, but his flat-top "appliance" was nearly as bad as Halle Berry's wig in "X-Men"! I wish there were more cameo roles for some of the comic's supporting cast such as Gwen Stacey. Bruce Campbell was under-used in his role as the wrestling-announcer-make him a villian next time!(The Scorpion?)
    The action and special effects: This is where my original statement regarding Superman comes in. CGI is not perfect in any movie so far. They make Spidey swing so fast to cover-up the imperfections of CGI that it kinda pisses you off! But for some odd reason, Spider-Man looks better when he's in motion rather than standing still. The action needed to be doubled. The scenes where you see Spidey just starting out and foiling different robberies made you wish you saw more of Spider-Man himself. There was too much "off screen" action such as only seeing a web snare a bad-guy. Other than that, some sequences of him swinging/climbing were awesome. Poses right out of the comics! Tobey MaGuire's one-liners when he was in costume were a little weak. (Why the hell didn't he at least try to disguise his voice?!?)
    The soundtrack: Danny Elfman. I like this guy but he didn't really write a memorable theme for Spidey. When you hear his Batman theme, you know it's Batman. John Williams has a distinctive Superman theme. There isn't really one here other than what sounds like left-overs from some Tim Burton movie! Thankfully, there weren't any of the shitty soundtrack offerings in the movie that I noticed such as that lousy "Hero" song! (Planet Us wouldn't have received any screen time other than during the closing credits!) And why the fuck was some one-hit wonder like Macy Gray put in the movie in a cameo role?! Thankfully, it's very short.
    Other than my small complaints, it was a great movie. It could've been a little longer for my tastes, but it's well worth seeing and I hope it does great at the box office. (Note to Vinnie Velvet and Crazy Pete: You both will win on choosing "Episode II" as box-office champ!)

Rating: [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] out of 5 [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I went and seen Spider-man today and it kicked MAJOR ASS!!!
    Rating: 5 [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] out of 5

[ May 03, 2002 at 05:15 PM: Message edited by: TopJimmy1978 ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

All 7 of them!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    (Note to Vinnie Velvet and Crazy Pete: You both will win on choosing "Episode II" as box-office champ!)

Rating: [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] out of 5 [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Well, come May 16th, unfortunately Spidey will begin to slide.

I agree with you for the most part.

I felt Kristen Dunst's acting came up flat. Overall, as someone who's read Spidey comics since he was a kid, I think they could've casted a better Mary Jane. Dunst had some lines that weren't too great.

The CGI was good but it didn't feel as though this could actually happen (that a man with spider powers could swing from a web). You see, when Superman came out in 1978, their slogan was simple: "You'll Believe a Man Can Fly" and it worked (with the effects of that time).

Spider-man really felt like you were watching the cartoon at times (which for me was okay) but for this to be a major motion picture, I think they should've shown more "real Spidey" with close-ups than so much CGI.

Also, I thought Dafoe played the Green Goblin well.

Spider-man's lines in his costume were corny (as was Goblin's) Again, it was like watching the cartoon or reading the comic (which is fine if that's what the producers wanted to convey).

It wasn't grand or epic like the first Superman nor was it dark like the first Batman, however, it was a good popcorn, fun, summer flick.

After everyone's seen Spider-Man, I encourage you to see the REAL masterpiece that awaits:

MAY 16th: STAR WARS episode II ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EUAS

www.rotharmy.com

*VV*
    ole No.1
    The finest.

"The Showstoppa!!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I'm with you guys,, that movie rocked!

It worked on soo many levels.

I disagree with Fan Halen on the CGI/web swinging part--I LOVED how they captured the comic poses while he was webbin' around town-know what I'm saying? how he twists his body and shit! very cool!

and who didn't about jump out of their seat at that one moment!(and you know that moment I'm talkin' about! ) and at the end, Spidey looked BAD ASS when he ...... oops no spoilers from me!

I'll chat some more about this on Saturday sometime!

I have always been a casual fan of Spidey--I knew the major charecters and the "mythos" of his beginnings but I couldn't tell you much more about him than that--watched the occasional cartoon on Saturday morning but that's about it. But the movie ROCKED! and I don't give backslaps that often.

the thing about Sam's direction, I thought he did great at creating a live action comic book that took itself seriously enough as a movie and NOT just a comic while staying true to the comic's design and drawings, etc.

I give it a [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

ps--Vinnie, your Star Wars movie better live up to it son! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Because Spidey had good acting!, Good multi-layered charecters, etc. When the movie was over, EVERYONE in the theater stood up and cheered!!

pps--go back and watch Superman again and you'll see just how fake his flying was

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

and it was better than all the Batman films(and I'm a Batman nut!) and equal to Superman

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Vinnie, you're talking about cornball dialogue?????????????????? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] And you can't wait for Star Wars???????????????

HELOOooooooooo!!!!

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by hain23x:
    and it was better than all the Batman films(and I'm a Batman nut!) and equal to Superman
    Spider Man is DEFINITELY the best superhero movie I have ever seen...Great flick...Tons of action, humor, good romantic plot...a definite one to see a few times!!

Already looking forward to SM2!!
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

and who didn't about jump out of their seat at that one moment!(and you know that moment I'm talkin' about!
    Are you talking about the scene in Osbourne's mansion (edited for would-be spoiler-material)? (They did a great job with some of the surround-sound in my theater!)

[ May 04, 2002 at 07:46 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]</p>
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If my review seemed negative, it really wasn't an over-all negative review. I named a few things that could've made the movie perfect, but there's never any pleasing hardcore fans no matter what they come up with!
    I liked this movie more than the Batman movies and slightly less than the first Superman movie. So, it's probably second or third in my "book".

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by FanHalen:
    quote:

and who didn't about jump out of their seat at that one moment!(and you know that moment I'm talkin' about!
    Are you talking about the scene in ***** where he's standing and all of a sudden you hear the *****[/QUOTE]Dude. HAIN tried to avoid a spoiler, you just blurted it on out! Think a bit [img]smile.gif[/img]

Might wanna edit that earlier post. Your call.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Goo:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FanHalen:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by hain23x:

Are you talking about the scene in ***** where he's standing and all of a sudden you hear the *****</font>[/QUOTE]Dude. HAIN tried to avoid a spoiler, you just blurted it on out! Think a bit [img]smile.gif[/img]

Might wanna edit that earlier post. Your call.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I thought about it before, but it's not really a spoiler. I'll edit it anyways.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Yeah!
    No spoilers dude!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I really loved how they captured the body shots that you see in the panels of the comic. I remember hearing them talk about that in an interview and was really impressed with how they made it look like a comic book.

I also like how they didn't focus on the villian as much as they do in Batman movies---they should have called the first Batman movie "The Joker".

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

one more thing, after giving it some thought I think that Tobey's "Peter" was much more complex and deep of a character than Christopher's "Superman". So I go back on what I said earlier and i'll go out on a limb and say that "Spiderman" was better than "Superman" [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

given Sam Raimi's background, you would think he would be better suited to direct "Batman", but I think he did a great job of trying to make "Spiderman" as "real" of a movie as he could(after all, it IS a comic book!)

oooooooh,, one more thing! The previews before the movie!--won't give this away either, but there was one preview for a movie coming out next year that might be cool! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

oooooooh,, one more thing! The previews before the movie!--won't give this away either, but there was one preview for a movie coming out next year that might be cool! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Too bad it was just a teaser! I can't wait to see what "you-know-who" will look like! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw it I did not like it. The effects were real bad the long distance shots look horrible. the close ups action looked fine but much of the effects looked fake. Needed more of Goblin and a lot more action. I thought it was boring. The actor playing Spiderman did a poor job.
    They also screwed up Peter Parker getting bitten my the spider it was a radioactive spider in the Comics

Kurtsen Dunst hard nipples during that rain scene was a plus [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ May 04, 2002 at 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Pasadena Murdock ]</p>
    I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002