Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

Report: Union targets Sept. 16 as strike date

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

The Major League Baseball Players Association has tentatively targeted Sept. 16 as a strike date, the Los Angeles Times reported on Monday.

Sources told the newspaper that union officials, concerned that the owners will implement a new system after the World Series, have decided to tell the players to stop working with two weeks left in the regular season if a settlement is not reached.

According to the sources, the union had several reasons for picking the Sept. 16th date. The union apparently decided it would be a public-relations nightmare to go on strike before Sept. 11. Also, a Sept. 16 date would mean that the players would miss just one paycheck, and it would hit the owners hard by wiping out two weeks of attendance in the home stretch of the pennant race.

However, Gene Orza, second in command of the union, downplayed Sept. 16th as the target day for a strike and disputed parts of the Times report. Orza told ESPN's Karl Ravech on Monday that there was no more significance to Sept. 16th as a strike date than any other date. He said the players had never before struck on the first and 15th of a month after receiving their paychecks (they get paid on the first and 15th of the month). And he said that the players will get paid for every day they work on the first and 15th of the month whether they work the entire pay period or part of a pay period.

The union is reportedly frustrated that more progress has not been made in such issues as revenue sharing. On Friday negotiators, joined by eight players from the Boston Red Sox, had what both sides called a productive session in New York, and agreed that they were not that far apart on the amount of money they want to divide unequally among clubs from baseball's national broadcasting and licensing contracts.

They did not discuss locally generated revenue or management's desire for a luxury tax on high-payroll teams, two bigger points of contention in the talks for a labor deal to replace the contract that expired Nov. 7.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

do these guys understand that they may possibly ruin baseball forever if this happens? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

if they do strike, fans should strike. no one go to the games, that'd be a fuckin kick in the ass and i'm all for it. it's rediclous these guys can't get anything done. they need to get rid of selig and fehr for starters....jackasses

time for a nap after reading that...pricks! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all, but esp WACF
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i can live with sept 16th, jsut as long as the date is after aug 20th, i'm good. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says its half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says its so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it. The psychoanalyst says the cup is your mother. The punk sitting next to you also says the cup is your mother. The romance novelist says the cup is a willing receptacle to the wild gushing torrents of pure passion from the hard chiseled urn. The zen master says There is no cup. Pamela Anderson says her cups are definitely full. Me? Refill!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

So long to America's pastime. I don't see baseball doing too much after this.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

These dumbasses are going to strike as soon as the NFL gets rolling. BWHAHAHAAA!!! No brain fucks! Who gives a shit any longer? Baseball players suck ass
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally posted by xaminer:
    So long to America's pastime.
    Word, sadly.

To add insult to injury, just five days after the anniversary of Sept. 11 the national pastime could have its plug pulled.

The players association has hired Van Halen's PR "machine," obviously...
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.23.12 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tip my cap to all of you for your excellent posts. (And trust me, I don't tip my cap very often! )

It was bad enough that we missed the World Series in '94, but fortunately for baseball, we had the McGwire-Sosa home run race in '98 which pretty much put the game back on the map. I still know quite a few people who vowed never to return to baseball after the '94 strike, and who have stayed true to their word.

If those overpaid schmucks strike this time, nothing's gonna bring it back. The only really compelling story baseball has now is Bonds' pursuit of the all-time homer record. The problem is, everybody hates him, anyway, because he's a surly, self-centered prick, so if/when he does break the record, nobody will care and no fans will be "reconverted" to baseball.

The National Pastime is dangerously close to becoming the National Past-its-time.
    "There goes the greatest hitter who ever lived..."

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by chewbaccamonkeylunch:
    These dumbasses are going to strike as soon as the NFL gets rolling. BWHAHAHAAA!!! No brain fucks! Who gives a shit any longer? Baseball players suck ass
    Concerning baseball, truer words have never been spoken! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Screw baseball. I was a huge fan when I was a kid but over time my interest has decreased. I don't think I'm ever going to go to another baseball game or buy anything MLB related. Can't wait until the next football season! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

FALSE REPORT!!

There has been NO date set yet for strike.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Eddymon:
    FALSE REPORT!!

There has been NO date set yet for strike.
    [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] FUCK THEM ANYWAY [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

Don't be scared, they WILL strike!
    Even though the owners are assholes as well, I think they should tell the players union to go fuck itself [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad