Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

World leaders will light an eternal flame, the governor will deliver the Gettysburg Address, and former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani will lead a reading of the names of 2,823 victims during a day of "simple and powerful" observances marking the anniversary of the World Trade Center attack.

"This will not be an ordinary day for anyone in New York," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Tuesday in announcing a plan that "honors the memory of those we lost that day and that gives New Yorkers, Americans and people around the world the opportunity to remember and reflect."

Bloomberg said the daylong series of remembrances will start early in the morning with bagpipe and drum processions that will begin in each of the city's five boroughs and converge at the World Trade Center site.

At 8:46 a.m., the time a hijacked airliner slammed into one of the twin towers, the city will observe a moment of silence.

Giuliani, who was praised for his courageous leadership after the attack, will begin the reading of the names of those killed.

"If anybody has a tie to those lost and is appropriate to start that out, it is Rudy Giuliani," Bloomberg said.

A cross-section of New Yorkers and people from around the world — including those who lost family members and co-workers in the attack — will follow Giuliani in reading the names.

Gov. George Pataki will read Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, which includes the line: "We cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

The service is expected to conclude with a moment of silence just before 10:30 a.m., when the second of the twin towers fell.

Houses of worship will be encouraged to toll their bells, and family members of the victims will be invited to descend a ramp seven stories to the footprint of the twin towers. Each family will pick up a rose and place it in a vase for an arrangement that will be preserved for a permanent memorial.

"Sept. 11, that date, will live in people's hearts and minds for generations just as the date Dec. 7 will never be forgotten," Pataki said.

At sunset, world leaders — possibly including President Bush — will light an eternal flame at a temporary memorial a few blocks from ground zero.

At candlelight vigils around the city, including Central Park, New Yorkers will be asked to reflect and listen to music from the city's orchestras.

"Our intent," he said, "is to have a day of observances that are simple and powerful."

More than a dozen Broadway theaters will go dark that day, but Bloomberg said he expects that most businesses will remain open and that students will go to class. "We will carry on our responsibilities to our families and to our city," Bloomberg said.

Cantor Fitzgerald, which lost 658 employees, plans a private remembrance in Central Park. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which lost 75 employees, plans an afternoon memorial.

In May, when the city held a ceremony to mark the end of the cleanup at ground zero, city officials were criticized by family members for not scheduling the observance on a weekend, when more people could attend.

This time, city officials were careful to seek the opinions of family members. They also solicited public opinion last month and received more than 4,000 suggestions on how to mark the first anniversary.

"The mayor and the governor saw to it that this morning belonged to the victims' families," said Christy Ferer, whose husband, Neil Levin, was director of the Port Authority when he was killed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

That is going to be a hard day for all of us.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I haven't gone a day without thinking about it...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by SactoFan:
    I haven't gone a day without thinking about it...
    Ditto.
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sometimes I have to remind myself that it actually did happen.

The one year anniversary will be a tough one for all of us.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This will be a tough day... Not a day goes by in my life when I don't think about it at least once....Those images will haunt me forever.
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

It's going to be an emotional day, especially for all you NYC Linkers.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not looking forward to it at all First of all, I still have the vision burned into my brain as I stood with co-workers in Madison Square Park (near the Flatiron Building) & watched this all happen. But now they are going to turn this into a tourist attraction as well. I know I sound a bit cynical, but that's the way I feel.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Sorry Man, I can't imagine how you must feel. I was in NYC in May of 2001, and what happened Sept.11 just killed me. I love that city and I don't know when I will be back. I don't want to see Ground Zero, I don't think that I could handle it. My prayers are with you.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen