Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't believe I scooped FanHalen on this! It's from the Box Office Mojo site.

'Batman vs. Superman' vs. 'Spider-Man' in 2004?
    by Brandon Gray
    July 9, 2002

HOLLYWOOD (Box Office Mojo) - The three most popular superheroes are poised to duke it out for the box office crown of 2004.

Shortly after Spider-Man shattered records, Sony announced that the sequel would swing into theaters on May 7, 2004. The Marvel Comics adaptation has since become the biggest comic book movie ever.

Now comes word that after the commercial and critical failings of their last big screen adventures -- 1997's Batman and Robin and 1987's Superman IV: The Quest for Peace -- Batman and Superman will star in the same movie, though their on-screen pairing will result in fisticuffs of some sort.

Warner Bros. will resurrect DC Comics' signature characters in Batman vs. Superman, which will not be a continuation of the previous movies. Wolfgang Petersen (In the Line of Fire) will direct from a script by Andrew Kevin Walker (Seven) that finds the superheroes starting as buddies but ending up foes over their differing philosophies.

"Superman stands for what is powerful, clear, bright, noble and just; Batman is dark, obsessive and vengeful," Petersen told The Hollywood Reporter. "Because they are so different, they will inevitably end up clashing. It will be a battle of the titans."

According to Petersen, the earliest that cameras could roll is early 2003, and the shoot would last five to six months. No one has been cast yet, but the director is expected to make unusual choices a la Sam Raimi's use of Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man.

Petersen is aiming for a summer 2004 release, which would pit it against Spider-Man 2 in the same season. Batman vs. Superman would join Scooby-Doo 2 and the third Harry Potter as one of Warner Bros.' four tent pole releases for the year -- the fourth is not known at this point.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:

Warner Bros. will resurrect DC Comics' signature characters in Batman vs. Superman, which will not be a continuation of the previous movies. Wolfgang Petersen (In the Line of Fire) will direct from a script by Andrew Kevin Walker (Seven) that finds the superheroes starting as buddies but ending up foes over their differing philosophies.

[/b]
    Andrew Kevin Walker is a champ. The only way this movie will work is if it is REALLY dark. Cool idea and i hope they pull it off... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

HA! I had you beat by 3 days! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I posted something about this last December when it was just being talked about and it had looked uncertain whether it would get made until Spider-Man did such big business this Summer. I still hope they'll make the Batman Year One project that Frank Miller and Darren Afronsonsky are working on.

[ July 11, 2002, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's more details that were posted at MTV.com of all places.....
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/145...headlines=true
    In what could be the biggest cinematic battle since King Kong wrestled Godzilla in 1962's "Kingukongu tai Gojira," the Caped Crusader will square off against the Man of Steel in "Batman vs. Superman."

"[It's] never happened before," said Wolfgang Petersen, who plans to direct (or is that referee?) the movie. "You had it in some of the comic books, but never on the big screen. They're so different. ... It sets up great material for drama."

Petersen's no stranger to drama, as the German-born director helmed "Air Force One" and "In the Line of Fire." He's now working on a story by "Seven" scribe Andrew Kevin Walker that pits the two iconic heroes against each other during a time of crisis. And though Petersen is reluctant to spill many secrets, he has promised that "Batman vs. Superman" will contain villains, lots of action and absolutely no Robin.

"I cannot tell you what really gets them together. I can say that much of [the conflict] is because of the different philosophies that they represent," the director said. "Superman represents sort of everything clear and bright and noble. He represents our hopes and ideals. Batman, on the other hand, represents the dark and obsessive and vengeful side.

"The plot is structured in a way that these two very different sides basically of the same coin have to clash at some point because they handle situations totally differently. ... For a large portion of the thing they are at each other's throats. But then, of course, because they are both crime fighters, they join forces again and fight evil."

Petersen, who has yet to cast anyone, said he wants serious actors and not action stars to assume the title roles.

"We have a script that really very, very much concentrates on the characters," he said. "It's really material for two great actors."

Though he mentioned Matt Damon in an interview with Variety, Petersen said he only cited the "Bourne Identity" star as an example of what he's talking about — "Someone where we so far did not really think of as a big action hero [who] turned out be a great actor who can also do great action. ... He's one of these kind of guys, but there's a lot of these guys out there."

And a lot of guys, including Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney, have previously portrayed Batman on the big screen. Christopher Reeve, of course, played Superman in four well-known films. Petersen said "Batman vs. Superman" will steer clear of the conventions laid down in each film series, though he admitted some degree of influence from the DC Comics series "World's Finest."

"I love [the Batman and Superman films] very, very much," Petersen said. "Especially in both cases the first two. I saw them over and over again. ... ['Batman vs. Superman'] is part of the lore of the Superman films and the Superman comics and the same with Batman, but it's also different. First of all, the dynamics are different because if they are in one movie together it changes a lot of things and it gives you a new perspective on superheroes. ... You have also the look and feel of Metropolis, the bright golden city, and the feel of Gotham, which is a shadowy, sinister city, in the same movie. This is Superman/Batman of the time after September 11th, also. It takes place in today or tomorrow's world."

"Batman vs. Superman" has long been one of many projects involving the two titans in development at Warner Bros., which owns the rights to all of DC Comics' heroes. The "Superman Lives" project, which had Tim Burton ("Batman"), Nicolas Cage and Kevin Smith ("Clerks") all attached at various times, has long been dormant. But a spokesperson for Darren Aronofsky ("Requiem for a Dream") has confirmed the filmmaker's plans to make "Batman: Year One." There is also a "Catwoman" flick in the works with Ashley Judd in the lead role, and there's talk of a live-action movie based on the "Batman Beyond" cartoon (see "Sequel Mania — The Other Attack Of The Clones").

Although those movies — as well as other comic-inspired flicks like "Daredevil" (see "Affleck, Garner Open Up About 'Daredevil' ") and "The Punisher" (see "Punisher Is Next Comic Hero Headed For Big Screen") — have received a boost in the buzz department thanks to the $400 million box office success of "Spider-Man," Petersen said "Batman vs. Superman" will be very different from Tobey Maguire's record-breaking blockbuster.

" 'Spider-Man' has a very sweet and light touch to it and is very romantic with Kirsten Dunst and Tobey," Petersen said. "Ours will be more dramatic. What 'Spider-Man' did quite good was the swinging Spider-Man through New York. Our thing, with Superman flying, will be an unbelievable, amazing new experience that you've never, ever seen before, because it's a long time ago with the 'Superman' films."

Petersen is eyeing a 2004 release for "Batman vs. Superman."

[ July 11, 2002, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

This is sounds like a good idea and hopefully Hollywood will get it right. That last Superman movie was terrible. As for Batman, the first two were the best ones. Maybe they will make the characters different from the Christopher Reeve and George Clooney/Val Kilmer ones. Time will tell.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just hope they don't do a stupid team-up like some of the old DC comics. Many film-goers will think that Supes can easily kick Bats' ass in a battle, but they need to take a look at Frank Miller's excellent "The Dark Knight Returns" graphic-novel where an elderly Bruce Wayne tears Supes a new A-hole!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    I just hope they don't do a stupid team-up like some of the old DC comics. Many film-goers will think that Supes can easily kick Bats' ass in a battle, but they need to take a look at Frank Miller's excellent "The Dark Knight Returns" graphic-novel where an elderly Bruce Wayne tears Supes a new A-hole!
    I'm not a comic book geek, so let me ask how did Batman kick Superman's ass?
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

He wore this special armor and had some assistance by plugging into the entire power-grid system of Gotham City (also a Kryptonite-tipped arrow-assist from a one-armed Green Arrow) and beat the snot out of Supes. (I've got too much time on my hands!)

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I should add that Bruce Wayne suffered a heart-attack before he could put the kibosh on Supes and faked his own death.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    HA! I had you beat by 3 days! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I posted something about this last December when it was just being talked about and it had looked uncertain whether it would get made until Spider-Man did such big business this Summer. I still hope they'll make the Batman Year One project that Frank Miller and Darren Afronsonsky are working on.
    What I've heard is that the Year One project is still on. I suspect that with the Batman/Superman movie, the continuity of the previous Bat/Supe movies will be tossed. It's been reported that the Batman/Superman movie will feature the evildoer tag team of Lex Luthor and the Joker.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I just hope they do it right and there is no campiness to the movie at all. I also hope they don't put it out at the same month as Spider-man 2 to try to compete with Spidey because going by their recent track records with the last Batman and Superman movies Spidey 2 will kick their asses!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, the flick's in great hands with the writer and director. They've both got pretty good track records. (The writer wrote a screenplay for a "Silver Surfer" movie a couple of years ago, but I never heard if it's being considered.)

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm still having trouble getting past Ashley Judd in a "Catwoman" movie... *drool*

I also heard that a "Silver Surfer" project was in the works, and would love to see it if it's done right, as The Surfer has always been my favorite comic book hero. TONS of CGI would be necessary for that one, kinda like the upcoming Hulk movie, which I'm already biased against because the idiots didn't let Peter David write the script. I'm sure some purists will vehemently disagree, but for my money, Peter David is the best comic writer (and one of the best sci-fi writers) ever, and his interpretation of The Hulk would make one helluva movie. Of course, the Star Trek folks can't figure it out, so why would the Marvel folks?! (How cool would a TNG movie based off of say "Vendetta" be?)

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

There are many "liberties" taken with the Hulk movie that's gonna piss alot of people off, rumor has it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Somebody call the net police! FH's *an *alen has been stolen!
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics