Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The very best laptop on the planet is an Apple Powerbook G4. Simply an outstanding machine. Nothing else comes close.

If you've got to use a PC (not as many people do so much as think they do) than go with an IBM. When it comes to PC laptops IBM makes the best.

I've had nothing but bad experiences when dealing with Dell. They may be a bit cheaper, but after they smile and make the sale you quickly find out why they're a bit cheaper. Hours on hold, only to be sent back to the beginning of the phone tree. That's happened to me many times. Their next day waranty support took 2 weeks to get me a working monitor. The first one they sent arrived 4 days late, and was DOA. When I finally got a person from their support on the phone, they kept asking me what was on the screen. "Nothing, it's dead..." "What do you mean, sir?"

I've got a couple of labs with Dell desktops that pause on startup for about 20 minutes about 10% of the time. That's a hard thing to troubleshoot, I know, but Dell's only thought was that our computers were near a nuclear power plant. Fucking geniouses. Of course they refuse to provide waranty service to these PCs, even though they're obviously defective.

Would I deal with Dell again? Nope.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very interesting! Thanks for your input Mike [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

The IBM ones are quite reasonably priced too [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] so maybe I'll have a better look at them. The weird thing is that My uncle raves about Dell, he can't get enough of 'em! But pretty much everybody else has told me to steer clear (the reason I still wasn't convinced is that some of them were salesmen of other brands [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

Thanks again [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ladies and Gents,

I'm currently looking to buy a laptop and I'm hearing conflicting opinions on various brand's reliability and general quality. The best one I have found yet is a Dell PIII 866 for AUD $3500 (about US$1750). What are Dell Notebooks like?

And if anybody have any advice or experience with other brands like Compaq, HP, Toshiba etc I would really appreciate the input!

Thanks people [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Toshiba are a quality brand - they do most things very well - I used to work for a Toshiba dealer a few years ago.

Rock on little computers [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well dudes, just so you know, I bought a Toshiba [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm using it right now! I fucking love new computers [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Makes my old computer look like a tonne of crap!