Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are these UN people as stupid as it seems or is it just me?

Iraq has not complied with weapons inspections in the past, so they are going to start playing nice now?

Saddam's palaces are off limits for inspections. His palaces comprise many large buildings and over 12 square miles of territory!
    He's never even been to some of them. Think of all the weapons, files, labs, etc they can hide in those places.

Gotta hand it to Saddam, though. He used the first chapter out of the "How to Fool and Stall an Idiot" playbook, and it worked!
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

No, its not just you. The UN is a fairly either decent, or dangerous idea depending on your viewpoint. But they are incredibly weak in appearance. If you ever need to find a case of "too many chiefs" I cant think of a better example than this. I view it as a massive stumbling block to anything that requires immediate action. The fact that war seems to need to be authorized by the UN these days is a complete joke to me. With so many angles and so many countries/interests involved, their simply will never be any quick decision made to any critical issue that requires urgency. Dicktators like Saddam and Kim Jung Il (or whatever in N. Korea) will take complete advantage of such immobility every fucking time. Think about it. One country and one leaders decisions will move HOW much faster than any one thinking BODY of people? I think its bullshit that Bush needs to show respect to this growing body by asking their blessing, but I'm glad he stands on ground that claims he will never be dictated by it and that we will continue to act on our own if need be.

The UN scares me. WAY too much power potential there with globalization and the goodies that go along with it, and not nearly the representation potential as what we see in a republic like our own. I'd like to see it either stall or fizzle out completely.

That oughtta get the ball rollin' on this topic. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

We damn the UN because of its inability to act, then we talk about how we fear the day the UN has the ability to act. Brilliant.

Seen, you pretty much boiled down the advantage of a dicatorship when it comes to quick action. I dunno about you, but I'm glad we've got elected representatives that have a duty to come to some sort of concensus.

Globalization is nothing to fear. Exporting American culture and values around the world can only bring us greater prosperity.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

DLR: 1984 Sammy: FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DLR: So This is Love, Sammy: The Dream Is Over, Gary: That\'s Why I Love You
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the UN has f**k all power in reality compared to the miltary power of the US. just look at Israel. They've broken or are breaking enough UN regulations to warrant military action. They've been condemned by every UN member but 1 - America. but because America has the biggest military force and supports Israel no action is taken.

And just in case no-one knew, even though Britain condemns Israel our govt still passes export grants for arms manufacturers to supply to Israel.

it just goes to show that as powerful as the UN appears to be, if the strongest military nations decide to do/not to do things then the UN can't really do anything.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:
    [QB]We damn the UN because of its inability to act, then we talk about how we fear the day the UN has the ability to act. Brilliant.[/b]
    We? No, I. I don't see the issue that merits your sarcasm. Is that really NOT a legit fear? Having a group with an inability to act acting as body that is supposed to? Did we cross wires somewhere with that or do you really think that would be ok?

Seen, you pretty much boiled down the advantage of a dicatorship when it comes to quick action. I dunno about you, but I'm glad we've got elected representatives that have a duty to come to some sort of concensus.
    As am I....I'm not sure if you are agruing with me here or not. I was talking about the dictatorships (like Iraq) advantage of moving quickly and in sneaky and devious ways, around an immobile body like the un.

Globalization is nothing to fear. Exporting American culture and values around the world can only bring us greater prosperity.
    Says you. Tell that to the aarab nations and check their response. Globalization would take away from us in the process of adding to the world what WE percieve as being good and right, making it all fairly average.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Things average out? Hardly. Globalization doesn't begin with the fringe, but rather spreads from the center. Look at what we've done to eastern Europe and the former USSR. They aren't there yet, but they're well on their way to capitalism. Take a gander at China. Who's products do they want? It's taken 30 years, but we've created a demand for American products and culture there. In another 30 years they'll be even more like us.

What's to fear??

The "we" I referred to is the view of most Americans, I think. There's distain for the UN's inability to act, and fear of a UN that can act. We can't have it both ways, but we'll bitch about it no matter what.

I wasn't talking about the UN General Assembly, seen. I was talking about our Congress. Democracies can move plenty fast when an issue requires clearly defined action. When an issue is murky like our policy towards Iraq, they provide a necessary bit of time to come to a considered consensus. There's an advantage in that.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:

What's to fear??
    First off, let me say I am PROUD to be an AMERICAN. However, MANY countries see the US as nothing more than a global ass kicker. Many countries condem the US simply because we still institute a death penalty. Hell just a while back we were were not voted in like two UN commitees because we are cowboys in how we do things. Sure, I am all for it, especially being in Texas, but many countries call it inhumane becuase there is still an extremely high crime ratio in our country.

As for what we have to fear...? Let's use a little common sense on the whole globalization idea: Say China and the 1.3 billion Chinese get "globalized" into capitalism. Do you really think those Chinese will ever be like we are in America? Driving big cars loaded with leather and chrome and spitting exhaust? Certainly not. And you thought New Zealand had a problem with sheep piss??? What about India's 1 billion people? Think they will have McDonald's and a Wal-Mart every 1/2 mile? Of course not. I'm not a Liberal by any means, but simple economics dictates that there just isn't enough resources in the world.

You see, it goes way beyond the obvious like food and water. You also have other factors such as who would build the electronics for satisfying the needs of all of these people? The US alone is a quarter of a billion right now in population. Sure, certain countries will dominate industries, but all we will do is deplete resources more rapidly while bumping most world economies up on the scale.

There will still be world leaders and those that are "Under developed". We will still have mass inefficiences among nations just as we do today. What we have to fear is that once we get everyone thinking that our way is the right way, we loose everything because there is no way to satisfy the demand for simple goods and services. Many of the world's leaders realize this becuase they have so many commitees already looking at the problems faced. What do we have to fear? We have to fear that there may be a crazy motherfucker out there who realizes there is not enough to go around, then decides his or her way is the right way and actually will do something about it. Hitler tried. Osama is trying... And the USA way of life is not as popular with other countries as we like to think. Some would rather have certain components of our freedoms, and many disagree with having all of them.

Consider this: The Roman Empire lasted over 2000 years. The US has only been around for a fraction of that. If we thrive for 2000 years with what we currently use to sustain our capitalistic lives, there will certainly not be anything left for anyone to use. We would have to hoarde resources. Don't get me wrong... I am all for this, but some people are out there thinking, "Fuck that. We need to get those resources for our own god damn wal-mart!" That's why we get fruit cakes like Osama and Sadam. They want what we have, and they know there isn't enough to go around. I'd die to keep my McDonalds and Wal-Marts as many of you would.

This may be a little too heavy for the forum so I'll let it go... [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Sorry about that. Rock on [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ October 03, 2002, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to see the demise of the UN. It serves no purpose other than to try to dictate foreign policy to it's members.

What people need to realize, both in this country and others as well, is that the President of the US, the Congress, and the rest of the Government in general only reports to the people of the United States and the U.S. Constitution. That's it! We don't need the UN's permission to do anything. It may be in our best interests, but it's not required.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    I'd die to keep my McDonalds and Wal-Marts as many of you would.
    [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Dude, stop it. Turn off your tv. You're scaring me.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BigBadBrian:
    What people need to realize, both in this country and others as well, is that the President of the US, the Congress, and the rest of the Government in general only reports to the people of the United States and the U.S. Constitution. That's it! We don't need the UN's permission to do anything. It may be in our best interests, but it's not required.
    The Prez and co. do not 'report' to the constitution, they pervert it. They do not 'report' to us, they lie to us, and use the media to sway the public's opinion. The UN is a collection of nations to form an international consensus on world matters. These matters shouldn't be decided by one power hungry cowboy nation.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by strungout:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BigBadBrian:
    The Prez and co. do not 'report' to the constitution, they pervert it. They do not 'report' to us, they lie to us, and use the media to sway the public's opinion. The UN is a collection of nations to form an international consensus on world matters. These matters shouldn't be decided by one power hungry cowboy nation.</font>[/QUOTE]A statement that could get you shot... but a good point none the less.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by strungout:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    I'd die to keep my McDonalds and Wal-Marts as many of you would.
    [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Dude, stop it. Turn off your tv. You're scaring me.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry man... I was didn't have dinner and I need to pick up a few things when I wrote that... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by strungout:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BigBadBrian:
    The Prez and co. do not 'report' to the constitution, they pervert it. They do not 'report' to us, they lie to us, and use the media to sway the public's opinion. The UN is a collection of nations to form an international consensus on world matters. These matters shouldn't be decided by one power hungry cowboy nation.</font>[/QUOTE]A statement that could get you shot... but a good point none the less.</font>[/QUOTE]Gee, don't I feel the love of freedom? Good thing we live in an open society where we could question the government (like our founding fathers intended), as is our rite. Not picking on you el, but that statement does hold some truths.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

[quote]Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    As for what we have to fear...? Let's use a little common sense on the whole globalization idea: Say China and the 1.3 billion Chinese get "globalized" into capitalism. Do you really think those Chinese will ever be like we are in America? Driving big cars loaded with leather and chrome and spitting exhaust? Certainly not.
    No, of course the Chinese won't be driving Japanese and German cars. They will be eating at McDonalds, and they will be drinking Coca-Cola. Their computers will be running Windows (unfortunately), and they'll be speaking English.

Globalization isn't so much about redistribution of resources as it is the export of our culture, such as it is. Of course there'll never be enough of everything to go around. Hence free markets operating off supply and demand. Industrialization has distinct stages to it. Countries making Nikes and t-shirts are beginning to develop. We were at that stage over a century ago. They'll go through the same stages we did, and experience many of the same growth problems. We'll keep developing as well.

Capitalism tends to promote political stability and democracy. The more it spreads in an unhindered fashion, the more democracy will spread with it.

Of course some societies aren't ready for it. Like I said, you don't begin at the fringe.