Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I'm sure they would too. Sickening.

WASHINGTON (AP) - Iraq is preparing to destroy its own oil fields, food supplies and power plants and blame the destruction on U.S. bombs during a war, U.S. intelligence officials said Wednesday.

The officials, briefing reporters at the Pentagon, said they have evidence Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has plans to wreck his own infrastructure to foster a humanitarian crisis and turn international opinion against any U.S. and British advance into his territory.

Citing the need to protect intelligence sources, the officials declined to describe that evidence. They spoke on condition of anonymity.

Several military experts in Washington said this was a plausible scenario, given Saddam's destruction of Kuwaiti oil fields as he abandoned that country in 1991. U.S. defense officials have also said Saddam forces once chopped off the top of a mosque to make it appear it was hit during a U.S. airstrike.

"It's very likely Saddam will use scorched-earth tactics," said Loren Thompson of the Lexington Institute. "Any amount of destruction to protect his rule is justified."

Others said the course of the war will determine whether Saddam acts in this manner.

"A number of countries have prepared for operations like this in the past, but not executed them," said Anthony Cordesman of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "Virtually everybody who has watched Iraq in action and is familiar with their military tactics probably thinks that Saddam will not go gently into that good night."

The U.S. intelligence officials also predicted Saddam will use his biological and chemical weapons if he believes he is about to fall. They predicted he would attack U.S. forces in Iraq, U.S. allies Israel and Kuwait, and any native Shiite Muslims and Kurds who rise up to oppose him.

Iraq can deliver these weapons with missiles, aircraft-mounted sprayers and artillery shells, the officials said. They expect Iraq to use disease weapons like anthrax, poisons like botulinum and ricin, and mustard gas. Saddam is not believed to have any nuclear weapons.

Iraq maintains it destroyed all of its chemical and biological weapons, and the intelligence officials acknowledged a lack of specific information about Saddam's weapons stockpiles.

Ivo Daalder, a Clinton administration National Security Council staffer, said the intelligence suggests a U.S. war on Iraq could lead to the very situation President Bush wants to prevent: Saddam attacking with weapons of mass destruction and wreaking havoc on his own people.

"I think Saddam has every incentive to make a war as horrible for anybody he can," he said. "The easiest target is not the American people, or the Israelis, the Saudis, or even our troops. It's his own people."

Saddam has been preparing for a war with the United States and its British allies almost since the Sept. 11 attacks, the intelligence officials said. But his military remains in worse shape than it was during the 1991 Gulf War, when U.S.-led forces crushed the vaunted Iraqi army.

Unlike the Gulf War, when Saddam engaged U.S. forces in the open desert along Iraq's borders, this time his military has prepared a multilayered defense, with Baghdad at the center. Saddam isn't expected to put up much of a fight for large southern cities like Basra, instead preparing for urban fighting in his capital.

On the outermost ring is Saddam's war-weary regular army, with perhaps 275,000 troops. They are conscripts, short on training, spare parts and a will to fight, the officials said.

His air force, mostly old jet fighters, is regarded as a limited threat. But his air defenses, while old, remain capable of downing low-flying American warplanes.

Some 80,000 to 90,000 troops in the Iraqi Republican Guard form the next layer of defense. They are better-equipped and trained, largely thanks to spare parts smuggled through Syria, the officials said.

Inside Baghdad are internal security forces, like the 10,000-strong Special Republican Guard, that are loyal to Saddam. They are lightly armed but present a threat as urban fighters who are less likely to flee or surrender, the officials said.

A rapid takedown of Saddam's regime may focus on military and popular uprisings against him and those security forces, officials said.

Combat in Baghdad could further Saddam's ends of creating a humanitarian crisis, as the civilian population is sure to suffer either from errant U.S. bombs or Saddam's reprisals against his own people. U.S. military planners fear the close quarters of urban fighting will lead to high American casualties.

One improvement in Saddam's military in recent years has been in communications, officials said. Chinese and Turkish companies have helped Iraq lay a nationwide fiber-optic network that is difficult for U.S. forces to cut off and monitor.

This allows surface-to-air missile sites, for example, to relay sightings of U.S. aircraft to each other, the officials said.

---

On the Net:

State Department's Iraq page: http://www.state.gov/p/nea/ci/c3212.htm

CIA report on Iraq's weapons programs: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...q_Oct_2002.htm
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

saw that today too seen

scary, but not surprising

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

of course they would. which brings to mind the question, why the fuck did bush keep poking this guy with a stick? in the middle of the quoted piece, they acknowedge there are NO nukes (not that he doesn't want them). so what the hell is this about again? how are we going to prohibit chemical weapons? outlaw pesticide in iraq?!

bush has totally painted himself in a corner. if saddam's lying (likely), bush either has to let him slide, or go to war. either bush has been totally whipped strategically by hussein, or bush won't be satisfied until iraq is the 51st state.

right now i'm mostly freaked out for the american military personnel and non-combatants. i'm not a military expert, but i have a feeling this conflict could get messy like WWI. i've read a little on mustard gas, and i can't imagine the shit their going to use is any more pleasant.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s cryin\', Dreams, Right now
    Last Online

02.27.07 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man I love it when 'anonymous intelligence sources' are quoted....

Why in hell anyone would need to 'fake' destruction to procure international sympathy is beyond me - I'm sure US forces will do a good enough job of reducing a large part of Iraq to rubble - again!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Why did bush keep poking him with a stick? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Why did Clinton stop?? He's always been in violation. I guess its wrong to hold him to that huh?

And yes, mustard gas is some severely nasty shit. I was talking to my wife this evening over dinner about Iraq. I think it holds the potential to be a VERY bloody war that could possibly creep its way over here pretty easily.

[ December 18, 2002, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: seenbad ]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by kenny5150:

Why in hell anyone would need to 'fake' destruction to procure international sympathy is beyond me - I'm sure US forces will do a good enough job of reducing a large part of Iraq to rubble - again!
    Yes, we would, but we would do our best to be surgical about it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

if we do go into iraq again, it's gonna be fulls guna ablazin and it ain't gonna be pretty. this time isn't going to be to scare him or to back saddam into a corner. there's gonna be a lot of destruction and a lot of casualities outside of military personnel.

anyone watch cnn tonight with greta van sustren? they had access to a steah bomber cockpit and the weapons it carries from whiteman AFB in missouri.

one 2000 pound bomb will annhilate (sp?) anything within 3000 feet. they also looked at the 5000 pound bunker bombs which as i understand, are still classified as to how far into the ground they can actually get.

funny how you keep seeing these little things here and there, trying to get the american public to feel safe and for us to rally. not to be pessimistic, but to me the war with iraq seems imminent right now

JMJ

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Originally posted by Ikeda:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by seenbad:
    Why did bush keep poking him with a stick? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Why did Clinton stop?? He's always been in violation. I guess its wrong to hold him to that huh?
    clinton did fuck up on iraq. we were stupid for using inspection teams to spy on iraq, and we were stupid to voluntarily withdraw inspectors so we could bomb iraq.

that being said, why is iraq the central point of our foreign policy? is bin laden there? no. weapons of mass destruction? timothy mcveigh could manufacture weapons of mass destruction. we can't stop that. but iraq currently has no capability to reach us, and isn't a credible threat. should we ignore them? no. but why is this administration's focus on conflict there?

here's hoping we never have to deal with chemical warfare here. maybe we'll both be wrong.
    </font>[/QUOTE]they don't have the means of getting it here? are you thinking in conventional terms as in a missle flying over the atlantic? if that's the case, probably not. but it can still get here. look at the bombing of the USS cole. you get a ship with a head or two of nukes that gets close to the shoreline of us and we're in for some trouble. it can happen. nothing is "conventional" anymore

JMJ

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by seenbad:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kenny5150:

Yes, we would, but we would do our best to be surgical about it.</font>[/QUOTE]Like bombing hospitals?? LOL [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    if we do go into iraq again, it's gonna be fulls guna ablazin and it ain't gonna be pretty. this time isn't going to be to scare him or to back saddam into a corner. there's gonna be a lot of destruction and a lot of casualities outside of military personnel.
    Yeehaw, let's blast those sandmonkeys!! I can't wait. I hope they take a lot of pictures! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Originally posted by JMJ:

funny how you keep seeing these little things here and there, trying to get the american public to feel safe and for us to rally. not to be pessimistic, but to me the war with iraq seems imminent.
    Yes, I've seen the propaganda. I've also seen people eat it up. It's sad. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Ikeda:
    karl rove, the man some people lovingly refer to as "bush's brain" and his right hand man/ hellspawn.
    You know that I am probably the MOST conservative republican here, but dammit I have a sense of humor and calling Rove "bush's brain/hellspawn" has got to be THE funniest thing I have read [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] (of course outside of the 6 yr old landfill party thread)
    We all know that is funnier than all hell to make fun of the opposition's figureheads. We had our turn for eight freaking years and God willing, so will you guys. Enjoy it!I might talk alot of shit about Sean Penn tree huggers touchy feely Carter worshiping Ashcroft hater/Arafat lovers. But when it all comes down to it, we are all Americans and I would by each of you a beer should we ever meet.
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:12 AM
    Liked 543 Times in 324 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

[quote]Originally posted by chewbaccamonkeylunch:
    We all know that is funnier than all hell to make fun of the opposition's figureheads. We had our turn for eight freaking years and God willing, so will you guys. Enjoy it!I might talk alot of shit about Sean Penn tree huggers touchy feely Carter worshiping Ashcroft hater/Arafat lovers. But when it all comes down to it, we are all Americans and I would by each of you a beer should we ever meet.
    This right here is an all time great post. That is what is all about, dude. That's how politics is SUPPOSED to work. We can argue, but we're all Americans so lets go get a beer at the end of the day. Corona anyone?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was a great post Chewi...cheers.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s cryin\', Dreams, Right now
    Last Online

02.27.07 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What, you mean provide some anasthetic first? Then close the wound??
    Actually, in terms of 'closing the wound' it is very likely if Saddam is toppled, the US would have to spend a lot of time there to stabilise the country, and set up a new administration.....(not like they haven't done it before)

Can anyone tell me what Iraq has to do with 9/11?? If the answer is nothing, then why didnt Bush Jnr. worry about the disgraceful flaunting of UN sanctions as soon as he came to office??

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

iraq doesn't have shit to do with 9-11. this is bush's own little war. some of the people in his defense department have publically floated the idea that america needs its own corner of the middle east, allowing us to ween ourselve from the saudis and dictate further regional policies.
    also, karl rove, the man some people lovingly refer to as "bush's brain" and his right hand man/ hellspawn, advised bush to hammer away at iraq during the recent american elections, so as to keep the economy, corporate corruption, and a host of domestic problems off the radar screen.

bush has already said he no longer cares about finding bin laden. I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING MORE OFFENSIVE he's just decided to rename everyone he doesn't like "terrorists" so that he can bomb them. russia is now renaming the chechenians as "terrorists" too.