12.05.02, 05:08 AM #1
- Join Date
- Favorite VH Album
Women & Children First
- Favorite VH Song
- Last Online
12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
- Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dec 5, 8:48 AM (ET)
By CHELSEA J. CARTER
LOS ANGELES (AP) - With awards like "Rockin' and Rulin'" and "Strange But True," the VH1 Big In 2002 awards honored - in irreverent fashion - some of the most memorable entertainment moments of the year.
"Tonight is devoted to everything that made this year wild," host Michael Imperioli, who plays Christopher on HBO's hit show "The Sopranos," said at Wednesday night's ceremony.
The prize given out at the Grand Olympic Auditorium - a gold submarine - appeared to leave many musicians and actors dumbfounded.
Ice Cube, who won in the category "Shakespeare in Da Hiz-House," which honored rappers in movies, held his trophy and stared at it.
"Whatever it is, it's for you," he told the cheering audience.
Singer Vanessa Carlton, who won for "Can't Get You Out of My Head," honoring most popular song of the year, looked puzzled.
"I won a submarine," she said.
"What can you say when you're bald and bad and bewildered by such an original award," quipped actor Vin Diesel, honored in the "You Can't Spell Bald Without Bad" category.
During a rare serious moment, the show honored the late Jam Master Jay, one of the founders of the seminal rap group Run DMC, who was shot to death in October.
Kid Rock and pioneering hip-hop stars Grand Master Flash and Chuck D performed a medley of Run DMC hits before handing the group's surviving members a best hip-hop group award.
"The one thing we always wanted to do was bring smiles to people's faces," said the group's Darryl "DMC" McDaniels. "Just keep smiling, man."
Other categories and winners:
- "Strange But True," which honored reality television: "The Osbournes."
- "Do I Look Fat in This Fight," which honored women fighting in movies: Lucy Liu in "Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever."
- "Rockin' and Rulin'," which honored rock legends: Paul McCartney.
- "Lolita Ford," which honored young pop stars: Norah Jones.
- "Hit Me Baby One More Time," which honored albums containing multiple hit songs: Creed for "Weathered."
- "Favorite Very Special Episode," which honored a television series' special episode: The Rachel's baby episode on "Friends."
- "You Kiss Your Mother With That Mouth?" which honored foul language: television's "The Osbournes."
- "I Believe I Can Fly," which honored spy movies: Eddie Griffin in "Undercover Brother."
- "Your Attention Please," which honored scene-stealing performances: A tie between Adam Sandler in "Punch-Drunk Love" and Nia Vardalos in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."
- "Play it Again Sam," which honored movie sequels: "Austin Powers in Goldmember"I'm not as think as you drunk I am."
By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)Replies: 42Last Post: 06.06.06, 03:46 PM
By DaleT in forum Main VH DiscussionReplies: 29Last Post: 03.26.05, 06:47 AM
By Van Squalen in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)Replies: 30Last Post: 01.27.05, 09:37 PM
By LLFHS in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)Replies: 2Last Post: 01.16.05, 08:48 PM
By P1 in forum Guitar RoomReplies: 31Last Post: 04.10.02, 05:06 AM