Thread: Atkins diet

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Has anyone else ever tried this diet? It's not actually a diet but more of a lifestyle change. I'm doing it right now and it's working. I've been on it about a month now and I've lost about 15 pounds despite being pretty sedentary. The whole diet is based around limiting your carbohydrate intake to very small amounts, thus forcing your body to burn fat. So what can you eat? The first two weeks are very hard you can basically only eat things that have protein or fat or a combination of both. After that you can substitute a little bit more carb into your diet, depending on how fast you want to lose the weight. The great thing about the diet is that you can eat all the protein and fat that you want so things like hot dogs and hamburgers(without the buns for both) chicken, fish, eggs, bacon, sausage and the like you can eat at will. For me the toughest part about the diet has been giving up milk, breads and rice. I still want to lose about 50-60 more pounds and when I get back to landscaping in a couple of weeks it should come off alot quicker. If any of you have had a hard time with your weight and want to make a change, take a look at this diet. It's not that hard and, if you do it right, it's surprisingly healthy as well.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not crazy about any FAD diets. Too may restrictions and limitations to make it last a lifetime. If you really want to lose weight, look into Herbal Life or Weight Watchers...
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I tried it for awhile once - read a lot of the book - seemed to have a lot of good points - don't know I'd call it a "fad" as it seems to have been around for awhile. But, having said that - I did not feel right after about the second week. I think I lost 13 pounds right quick, but then I plateaued and I just felt like crap all the time, so I eventually stopped. And of course gained all the weight right back.
    Starting around January 12th, my wife and I started doing Weight Watchers - for those who don't know it assigns points to different foods and you're only allowed to eat a certain amount of points a day. Anyway, as of this morning I'd dropped some 26 pounds to date, and except for being tired (which has nothing to do with what I eat and everything to do with having three kids that don't know the meaning of the words "sleep in" when there's no school and a wife who thinks nothing of cleaning the house at 10P at night and needs the tv on to fall asleep) I don't feel crappy like I did when I was on Atkins. I don't really count my points anymore as I've got a good idea of what falls in my range. I've also been really good about not attacking a bag of Doritos or similar snack when I get bored (one of the dangers of working at home - it's all right out there...) Still I'd kill right now for a pizza or a big plate of nachos or a real mexican dinner (not that smart ones or healthy choice stuff I eat) or chicken wings or Tony Roma's or Olive Garden... Actually I had to travel right after we started and the place where I was knew I was dieting and were kind enough to buy me a small veggie pizza, but I declined (as I wouldn't eat a veggie pizza even if I wasn't dieting - hate mushrooms! And not too big a fan of black olives). But I've also decided that in the future when we go to those places and they bring me my meal, I'm gonna cut it right down the middle and take half home for the next day! But I did actually eat a whole small pizza one day (just didn't eat a whole lot else) and had chips and salsa for the Super Bowl, so it's not like I've gone completely without. We've also made more of an effort to get out there - we usually take a 30-60 minute walk each night after the kiddies are down and I try to ride my bike on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (when it's not been too cold or windy). It just boils down to learning what foods to eat and being satisfied, which isn't really that hard. My thing has always been binging when I'm bored and eating a lot of foods that are high in fat and calories and not enough that aren't. But good luck on your efforts P.D.!

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Protein diets are good. Also known as the "red meat diet".

The trick is intaking less carbs, and increasing heart rates. Fat will melt off your body. Walking fast-paced for about a half hour (not powerwalking, but walk fast) after you eat. You won't feel full when you're done, and you're not hungry. You got in your exercise, and ate well. Do this for everytime you eat. Walk around the block a few times. It's good for ya.

The reason Billy you gained it all back, is because you didn't replace the fat with muscle.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Someone needs to start a "Your height/Your weight" thread around here. Nothing beats public scorn for weight loss technique. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I went out for lunch with my family last year and my brother was kind enough to say to me, "you got fat". Pissed me off , but it did the trick for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by billy007:
    I try to ride my bike on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (when it's not been too cold or windy).
    TOO COLD!!!!!!!

Dude, you live in Orlando Florida!!

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know that I would call the Atkins diet a fad diet either. As I said before, it's not really a diet but a lifestyle change. Also, Dr. Atkins is a cardiologist and has treated over, something like, 15,000 people with health problems associated with being overweight. I'm not trying to say that this diet is for everyone, you have to use what works for you, but if you have had trouble losing weight on the "traditional" low-fat, high-carb diet ,as I have, then you may want to take a look at the Atkins diet. I agree, as well, that exercise should be included in a lifestyle change and that should include a weight training regimen. Thanks for the encouraging words guys, I know I can reach my goal.
    Reality won't budge

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Someone needs to start a "Your height/Your weight" thread around here. Nothing beats public scorn for weight loss technique. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I went out for lunch with my family last year and my brother was kind enough to say to me, "you got fat". Pissed me off , but it did the trick for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I don't think truer words have ever been spoken.
    Reality won't budge

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The problem with carbs is when you consume them, and you do not work out to burn it off. All those carbs turn to glucose, and are used as energy. If your body doesn't use that energy, then it's stored away in the form of...you got it, fat!

So to ditch the fat, you eliminate the carb consumption, and exercise. Your body will look for glucose and blood sugar, burn the little of it that there is, and then begin working on the fat. Drink lots of water so you don't dehydrate.

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    I done WW for a few months, it worked well, but I quit after I had an argument with the scale lady!!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Goo:
    I done WW for a few months, it worked well, but I quit after I had an argument with the scale lady!!
    You may need to ease up on some of those Fosters™ ya blooody puke!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    hehe. I wasnt drunk unfortunatley. Woulda got a real fireworks show then LOL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    The fosters you get in Americas totally different to the Fosters you get here - they simply package a beer according to whatever appeals to the locals, so its not really a true 'export' as such

Belive it or not hardly anyone here drinks the stuff LOL

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    TOO COLD!!!!!!!

Dude, you live in Orlando Florida!!
    Yeah, but there was a spell that was in the 30s and 40s and that is too cold! Was even when I lived in Maine!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Panama Dog - "JMJ" posts on here quite a bit. He's a personal trainer and could probably give you some good advice on diet and exercise. I'm not knocking the others here who have had good success with the Atkins diet, but most doctors and dieticians will tell it's not healthy in the long run. You don't want to be headed down the wrong road; in this case, that road is called Heart Attack Highway. Pabs was right about the muscle thing though. Start pumpin' iron along with doing the cardio.

Go to this site for another viewpoint on the Atkins diet.

[ March 14, 2002 at 01:28 PM: Message edited by: BigBadBrian ]</p>
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!