Register
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who gives a flyin fuck. W won the damn thing twice...this shit is getting fucking old.

------------------
    "Me and Jeff are going to go to the front gate and when you guys exit we're going to beat the fucking shit out of every barefoot person" Eddie Vedder (after fans were throwing their shoes on stage, hitting the band)

"Their aren't that many true music fans out there and the ones that are, are usually musicians" Kurt Cobain

"I dont know whats going to happen but I want to have my kicks, before the whole shit house goes up in flames" Jim Morrrison

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bush going too far in smearing Al Gore? Hell, Bush doesn't have to go anywhere for Al Gore to be smeared. Gore is doing the "Al Gore Smear Job" just fine by himself. You read too much liberal propaganda there, FORD. Try listening to Rush or Ollie on the radio instead.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The following article appeared in the Tacoma News Tribune on 11/22/2000. I think the author has a very realistic view of this election mess. Happy reading.....

Bush camp goes too far in trying to smear Al Gore

Thomas L. Friedman; Syndicated columnist

While it all may sound like just partisan noise coming out of Florida these days, there's actually a big
    difference between how Al Gore and George W. Bush have been behaving.

Gore has behaved as if this were the closest election in our modern history, and therefore every vote should
    be counted, recounted and hand counted, and should George W. Bush win Gore would have no problem
    declaring him the legitimate president.

But one has to ask Bush: Is there any condition under which you would now accept Al Gore as the
    legitimate winner?

I don't think so. Bush has behaved as if this were not a close election at all, as if he had won by a landslide,
    and therefore the notion that every last vote be hand counted to determine the winner is only an effort to
    steal the election from him - the already obvious winner. And therefore, in Bush's view, under no condition
    can Al Gore ever be deemed the legitimate next president.

By opposing any hand counts with a scorched-earth media blitz, Bush has left himself no room to be a
    gracious loser. He has left no scenario in which to say: "I lost fairly. Now let's all rally behind Al Gore."

Bush needs to remember that he lost the popular vote in the country and he was ahead in Florida by only
    300 votes out of 6 million before the absentees were counted. The fact is, this election was too close to call,
    and therefore conducting a hand count is both legal and legitimate, especially when it's being done under the
    same rules that apply in Texas.

Gore made a fair proposal to hand count every ballot in Florida, but Bush rejected that. Now that a more
    limited hand count is going forward, the Bush team is making wild, unsubstantiated allegations that the hand
    counters are engaged in fraud.

No doubt there will be disputes and mistakes, but there is no proof of systematic fraud. Where Gore is
    vulnerable is on which hand counts to count. Texas law allows for "dimpled" but unperforated ballots to be
    counted, and some Florida counties are doing that. But Gore needs to think hard about whether he wants to
    win on dimples.

Either way, though, the Bush team will smear him. It is out to create an impression in the public's mind that
    if Gore wins by a hand count then by definition he stole the election.

That is wrong, and so was Bush's spokeswoman, Karen Hughes, when she basically accused Gore of
    conspiring to have the absentee ballots of U.S. military personnel not counted, implying that this made him
    unfit to be commander in chief.

Democrats and Republicans both know that many absentee ballots are always thrown out. Absentee
    balloting historically has been rife with fraud, so there are a lot of technical requirements - including that a
    ballot be postmarked by Election Day. And in this case the decision to follow the strict Florida absentee
    balloting rules, as opposed to the looser federal ones, was set by the Republican secretary of state,
    Katherine Harris.

I believe absentee ballots from soldiers should also be hand counted to divine whether the absence of a
    postmark can be excused. But to allege fraud in this regard is utterly reckless.

Our armed forces, the courts, the federal government - these are the nonpartisan institutions we need to
    hold our country together once there is a partisan outcome to this election.

It was out of line for Hughes to imply that our armed forces are pro-Republican and that the Democrats
    were trying to prevent them from voting. Hughes might as well have called Gore a traitor. It would be like
    Gore accusing Bush of bigoted motives because he resisted recounts in counties with heavy black and
    Jewish populations. You just don't talk that way about the man who might be our next president.

Bush needs to remember that there is a difference between what you can say about your opponent during
    the campaign and what you can say about him after the election is over, with the outcome too close to call,
    and with each side legitimately seeking to ensure that every vote is properly tabulated.

Smearing your opponent during the campaign is politics as usual; smearing him during the recount after a
    vote too close to call is a threat to our institutions and the next presidency.

- - -

* #Thomas L. Friedman is a foreign affairs columnist for The New York Times.

11/22/2000

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I see the reaction to this article is exactly what I expected. Since you two didn't make it personal like the assholes over at PD did, I will leave a more controlled response here.

The newspaper that I took this article from happens to be sickeningly conservative. I only found the article by accident while searching for a Thanksgiving related story that was written by a friend. I can guarantee you that you will find no "liberal propaganda " in the Tacoma News Tribune.

What is in the article is the truth. Bush has assumed himself the winner in this election even when there was no basis for such an assumption. Gore won the popular vote. The electoral vote is not yet decided, with Florida still too close to call. So what has Bush won at present?

Nothing.

Yet he presumes himself to be the winner, and therefore anyone saying otherwise must be trying to "steal" the election. This is not logical, because for something to be "stolen" from you, it has to be owned by you in the first place.

Gore has won half the battle, the popular vote. It is rare, but not impossible, that a winning candidate could claim one but not the other. In this case the electoral college is within a few hundred votes. Why is it unreasonable to expect that every vote is counted? If it was Gore that was leading in the machine count, and Junior (who signed the hand recount law in Texas) was asking for the hand count, you guys would be all for it. Rush Limpdick and Ollie North would scream from their overpaid broadcasting booths about the "injustice" of Bush not getting the votes counted fairly.

Yet when the shoe is on the Democrats' feet, none of this applies. Why is that?

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Remember folks, Al Bore gave us the internet That fag is a big baby. Bush has won THREE times! Now if Bore loses again, he's looking for a full-scale legal battle! What a loser! I bet, and hope, that every country in the world is laughing at us.

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    I'll be damned. Another political thread? Out

[This message has been edited by track 5 (edited November 24, 2000 at 02:04 PM).]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

09.26.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts

I'm not from the states and I don't give a shit on who's your next president. But for me, it looks like Gore doesn't stop to demand recounts 'til he wins. As for the illegal ballots: They gave them to children in 2nd grade with animal pictures on them, and they had no problem to fill them out correctly. Gore should stop bitchin' before the whole thing gets even more ridiculous...

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Why don't people want whatever is right to happen? Just count the damn votes, and figure it out. What is so hard to understand about that? A machine isn't as accurate as a person when it comes to looking at something that isn't perfect.

Y'all really don't care how GWB becomes President, do you? What's that say about you?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

09.26.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts

Actually, a machine counts more precisely than a human, because a machine isn't either republican or democrate.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dont understand people that love politics...its all a bunch of bullshit.

------------------
    "Me and Jeff are going to go to the front gate and when you guys exit we're going to beat the fucking shit out of every barefoot person" Eddie Vedder (after fans were throwing their shoes on stage, hitting the band)

"Their aren't that many true music fans out there and the ones that are, are usually musicians" Kurt Cobain

"I dont know whats going to happen but I want to have my kicks, before the whole shit house goes up in flames" Jim Morrrison

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There is NO fairness on the part of the Bush campaign. They have been openly fundraising on their campaign website, and yes, the legally required public disclosure documents prove that this is AFTER the election. So what are they doing with the money?

Well, first they printed these "Sore Loserman" signs that only an IDIOT would defend. Yeah, now that really sounds like "Bringing Democrats and Republicans together", doesn't it Junior? A whole shitload of "integrity" there!

Now they are bussing paid Republican rioters into Florida from other states to deliberately disturb the vote counting process. Why are the Republicans so fucking afraid of counting votes??

And the Supreme Court has agreed to hear the bullshit GOP case next Friday. I hope those 9 justices are watching these little fascists on TV

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Im tierd of hearing about the votes and the election!

Im tierd of seeing new politcal threads every day!!

------------------
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    and thats about what its worth

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SwissHalen:
    Actually, a machine counts more precisely than a human, because a machine isn't either republican or democrate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 50 year old machine that can't count imperfect ballots should decide the fate of a nation? That's a novel idea.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OLO:
    Im tierd of seeing new politcal threads every day!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to my world... LOL

This is closed. We've got a couple of other political threads.

------------------
    "Fuck you. I give you my ass." - Rick S' dog, as interpreted by track 5

Official Bartender Of VHForums