Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I watched the kid last week on ESPN 2 and he sure can pass, but LeBron has NO game on defense...He's lazy on the inbounds passes, too...

I am DEFINITELY in favor of a minimum age for NBA rookies, and I think they should have at least two years of JUCO ball. That way, if they wahs out, as most do, they are on the way to having their education completed.

What do y'all think?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The ONLY control I'd put on all of this is to get rid of freshman eligibility. To me, making freshman ineligible will eliminate much of the problems in the schools. As far as kids jumping to the NBA from HS, or leaving college early, why would you stop that? If you want to go be a mechanic or a plumber out of HS, you go do it.

How many on this board dropped out of college to work, or just dropped out, without a multi million dollar NBA contract? I don't see anyone worried about them. Nope, it's those poor ignorant black boys that are too stupid to take care of themselves. It's just another form of racism, that's all.

Nice white boy leaves school to run his father's construction company after his father passes away, he's a hero of the people, a self made success story. Black inner city star who never knew his father and has a mother working 3 jobs to support her kids, he leaves, get's an 8 million dollar contract GUARANTEED, and he should have stayed in school? What the fuck is THAT all about? And yeah, I know I just stereotyped, but I was making a point.

As far as the sad stories of those who leave school or make the jump out of HS but don't make it? Once again, that's life. Take bad advice, suffer the consequences. If they are that dependent on what is clearly idiotic advice, then they weren't going to get their degree anyway, they're too stupid. These kids have resources available from the NBA to determine draft status. They are given unbiased evaluations of where, or whether, they'll be drafted. EVERYONE knows that unless you go first round, you get no guaranteed money and you probably aren't going to make it. I have yet to see a case where people were surprised by a guy who didn't make it.

Freshman eligibility is another issue, so I won't get into it, but I personally think that would restore a lot of integrity to the college game. Let these kids go to school for a year and stay eligible. That will stop a lot of the rent a player going on now.

Jeez, my spelling sucks.

[ December 19, 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Incredible Edible Dude ]

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LeBron has his "stepfather" looking out for him, to make sure no one takes advantage of him. thing is, stepdaddy just went to jail for three years. ESPN convieniently left that out on their broadcast last week. he got busted for mortgage flipping. so who's gonna protect the kid from his "stepfather?"

they run LeBron game highlights every night on the news, and they're more fun to watch than the Cavs' highlights...against high schoolers, yeah, he's good. but against pros...we'll have to see...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this was funny, too...

LeBron mania spurs disagreement over wrecked rim

12/12/02

Susan Vinella
    Plain Dealer Reporter

When LeBron James is involved, even a metal basketball rim becomes famous.

Such is the case of The Broken Rim from Stow High, which James, the senior phenom from St. Vincent St. Mary, tore down after dunking a basketball during a scrimmage last month.

The dunk is being shown in promotions for tonight's SVSM-Oak Hill Academy game on ESPN2 at the Cleveland State Convocation Center. Don't be surprised if it's shown again during the 7:30 p.m. game.

As for The Broken Rim, it has taken on a life of its own after the battle over it was chronicled in an espn.com story.

Gene Lolli, Stow's athletic director and 11th-grade principal, said it is now tucked safely away in an office at the school.

He said neither he nor the school plans to give it away or auction it off. The latter idea is what got him unwanted attention in the first place.

Here is what Lolli said happened on that Saturday in November:

Lolli was in his office when the rim came down. An assistant called and said, "You better come in here. LeBron just broke the rim."

Lolli didn't believe him and took his time getting to the gym.

When he arrived, Eddie Jackson, James' father figure, was holding the rim.

Lolli approached Jackson, whom he did not know, and said, "Here, sir, I better take that rim before someone gets hurt."

"I want to keep it," Jackson said. "I want to keep it."

But Lolli insisted. Jackson let go.

Lolli took it upstairs and gave it to an assistant principal for safe keeping.

Jackson approached Lolli a little later and introduced himself as James' father.

"What's it gonna take to get that rim?" Jackson said. "What's it gonna take? You name it. I want that rim."

Lolli told Jackson he needed to think about it.

An hour or so later, after the scrimmage had ended and Lolli was stacking chairs in the gym, Jackson approached him again, and again asked for the rim.

"OK," Lolli said. "For six basketballs autographed by LeBron."

"One basketball," Jackson said.

"Six," Lolli said.

"One," Jackson said.

They went back and forth until finally, Jackson said, "I oughta sue."

"Excuse me?" Lolli said.

"I could sue you," Jackson said.

"If that's the way you feel, you ought to go get a lawyer," Lolli said and walked away.

Asked about Lolli's story, Jackson declined comment to The Plain Dealer, other than to say, "That's not accurate."

Lolli said he asked for six basketballs because he thought Stow boosters could raffle two off each month for the rest of the season to raise money for the school.

"I don't think that's exploiting [James]," Lolli said. "Maybe other people see it differently."

jackass wants to sue the high school because they won't give him the rim? fuck him. i see problems for LeBron due to Eddie Jackson. i know the kid looks up to him, but i got a bad feeling about this relationship...

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

But that won't get better by making him go to school before he can go pro. At least in the pro game, he's got GM's and coaches with the legal rights and contractual standing, and ego, to tell "father figure" to shut the fuck up. Put him in the college game, and you have a cheater who isn't going to class, or is transfering when "father figure's" demands aren't met. In some cases, college coaches have more authority than pro coaches. But not in the case of a LeBron James.

And I have no doubt that he'll be good in the NBA. He's got game. Star? Who knows. Depends on him.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Well since the Lakers will be in the lottery this year, perhaps they can get him and Kobe could coach him on making the jump from high school to the NBA.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when they were in town to play the Cavs last season, Shaq and a couple other Lakers went to one of LeBron's games...

LeBron won't end up with his hometown Cavs. even if they got the most balls in the lottery, they'd still manage to fuck that up and end up picking fifth...

here's a link to the Cleveland Plain Dealer's LeBron James page...some pretty good articles...

[ December 19, 2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: twonabomber ]