Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

i decided to play tonight, i haven't played chess in a few years. i was never really good, but i was never terrible. yahoo has different rooms you can play in..beginner, intermediate, etc...

so i'm in the beginner room and i'm playin this dude from canada. he tells me about 10 minutes into the game he's drinkin whiskey and 2 moves later has me in check mate [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] then he tells me tough luck. yeah, like he was really a beginner..lol

the games are fun though. just wondering if anyone else here has given it a go

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    i decided to play tonight, i haven't played chess in a few years. i was never really good, but i was never terrible. yahoo has different rooms you can play in..beginner, intermediate, etc...

so i'm in the beginner room and i'm playin this dude from canada. he tells me about 10 minutes into the game he's drinkin whiskey and 2 moves later has me in check mate [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] then he tells me tough luck. yeah, like he was really a beginner..lol

the games are fun though. just wondering if anyone else here has given it a go

JMJ
    I was into it pretty big about 4 or so years ago, back when I had access to a 100 Mbps connection. The Yahoo! Internet games site is very good, and their Chess game was/is my favorite.

I decided to take a cursory glance of it again thanks to your post, and I see that they've added quite a few games since I last visited there.

I am also a so-so chess player--and I have gotten trounced on the few occasions that I dared to enter the more advanced rooms. Though I never got set up like you did in any of the beginner rooms.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Never played on Yahoo!, but I did play on chesslab.com. It's a pretty cool site, and keeps your ranking/score and stuff. I just got into chess, and learned how to play about 2 years ago. It's a great game, more fun than I expected it to be. I haven't played in a while though. I'd definitely recommend the chesslab site though.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

nnnnnnnnnnnnope
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I can play chess. I used to do that move where you can checkmate someone in 4 moves with the queen, pawn, and bishop. I love when the opponent falls into it.

Those Yahoo games have some great players.

I used to play checkers on there, and the little kids kept kicking my ass! DAMNIT!
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Originally posted by Pabs:
    I can play chess. I used to do that move where you can checkmate someone in 4 moves with the queen, pawn, and bishop. I love when the opponent falls into it.

was that you playing against me? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

JMJ

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Nah, it's just one of the oldest tricks in the book. I learned about it when someone did it to me. It was embarrassing, but that's how people find out about it. They won't tell you about it, they'll do it on you first. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

i wonder if gary kasparov has a web site. i'll learn a trick here, learn a trick there..i'll show those pricks [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

JMJ

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Pabs:
    Nah, it's just one of the oldest tricks in the book. I learned about it when someone did it to me. It was embarrassing, but that's how people find out about it. They won't tell you about it, they'll do it on you first. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    And to add insult to injury, that move is called "Fool's Mate."
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    i wonder if gary kasparov has a web site. i'll learn a trick here, learn a trick there..i'll show those pricks [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

JMJ
    That's worth a check for Kasparov's website. On a side note, I have a Kasparov chess computer from Saitek. Neat little gizmo, but not cheap (approx $120). You can take it anywhere as it's small and portable, and you can set the difficulty level and a bunch of other teaching options. I set it just so I can give it a good game but that it still thumps my ass. You never get better playing people who are worse than you. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've played Yahoo! chess in the past. It is good.

Only problem was you occassionaly got people who'd start the room, invite you in, realize they were losing and then kick you out.

I never cared too much for my ranking, but that was just the asshole thing to do.

Though, it didn't happen often.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, JMJ!

It turns out that a dial up connection really doesn't affect things that much, so I've been playing Yahoo! Chess for the last two or three days now.

I played to a "Kings Draw" in the game you were observing me play today. (It took 61 moves.)

I'm now 5-2-2 after 9 games, but my user rating actually went up by playing to a draw since the guy I played against had a higher starting rating than I did.

We should try playing each other sometime.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Happy Pappy:
    Only problem was you occassionaly got people who'd start the room, invite you in, realize they were losing and then kick you out.

I never cared too much for my ranking, but that was just the asshole thing to do.

I think that is how it used to work, but I'm pretty sure Yahoo! has fixed it so that the "Boot" function will not work in a rated game.

Can JMJ or someone else here back me up on this?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

if the game is rated, you cannot boot anyone

JMJ

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by UnleashVH:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Happy Pappy:

I think that is how it used to work, but I'm pretty sure Yahoo! has fixed it so that the "Boot" function will not work in a rated game.

Can JMJ or someone else here back me up on this?
    </font>[/QUOTE]You are absolutely right, amigo! Can't kick someone off a rated game. BTW, I play yahoo chess, too!!
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...