Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone know how to set up 2 household computer to share files?

I have a Windows XP and Windows 98 machines. They both have network cards, I have ethernet cables, and an 8 port hub.

I've looked on some support sites on the web, and I've tried a few things, but I can't get them to show up on eachother's computers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing
    Last Online

01.05.06 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you have the "Client for Microsoft Networks" installed on the Win98 PC?? The XP machine should be setup already (by default.... atleast Win 2000 was this way..).

Oh, and make sure that one of your PC's isn't connected to the "uplink" port (usually port 1) on the hub... or if it is, make sure that it isn't set to be an "uplink" port.

[ January 26, 2002 at 11:09 AM: Message edited by: SpaceMan Spiff ]</p>

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,344 Times in 922 Posts

I haven't worked with XP yet, so I only know what to do on 98, but I can't imagine it's too much different on XP:

1. In your network properties (in control panel - "network" or right click on "network neighbourhood" if it's on your desktop), you must have "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks" set up (little click box under the adapters and protocols listed)

2. Right click on the drive you wish to share (either your c: drive or one of the sub folders or multiple subfolders), choose "shared as" and give it a name (and a password if you like) and click "ok". There should now be a hand under the drive or folder that you shared.

3. Go into "network neighbourhood" on the other computer, or do start/find/computer and type in the computer name of the computer that has the shared drive. Once you find that computer, double click on it then you will see the shared drive(s). Right click on the shared drive that you want and choose "map network drive" - assign the drive a drive letter and click "reconnect at login" if you want it to be connected every time you reboot. Bingo - you are connected.

I didn't look at the various functions while I typed this, so some of the wording may be a little different, but it should be close enough you'll see what I'm talking about.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Just use Windows XP's Home Networking Wizard, in "Network Connections." [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JWS: I did that, and then it tells me to to save a netsetup file to disk, to install on the other computer (the '98), or to use the XP cd. Well, I don't have an XP cd, and when I save the setup file to disk, and try to run it on the '98, it doesn't work. I went on some XP help sites, and other people had trouble running this 'setup' file. I've tried everything else, but I can't figure out what's wrong.

I have an 8 port network hub, and connected both computers. I've enabled file sharing on both. I have the same network protocols set on each comp. I have at least 1 folder shared on each. I have the same workgroup on each set. I also went through the network wizard on the XP machine, but ran into the problem stated above. Anything else I'm missing here? The shared folders show up on each individual machines' Network Neighborhood, but the other machine doesn't show.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really want to get this working. Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Rock on!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,344 Times in 922 Posts

Another thing to look at is start/run/winipcfg - the ip addresses need to start with the same two sets of numbers (usually defaults to 169.254) and the subnet mask needs to be the same. Don't know why this would be different unless you specified different addresses, but being unfamiliar with XP, maybe something goes on there. Make sure also that your tcp/ip protocol is "bound" to your network adapter.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Are you sure your cables are good? Is the hub indicating that the wiring is correct? Got a connection light on the back of both network cards?

It sounds like you've got the software set correctly.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for your help guys. I figured it out, but I'm not sure what I did to fix it!

I had the same network protocols installed on both, I did the LAN setup on the XP, I made sure they both had the same workgroup, and different names. That should have done it, but you couldn't view the other comp. I tooled around in the network settings, and I got them to show up. For some reason connecting to the XP from my '98 is MUCH faster than the other way around.

Also, I had to disable the firewall settings on the XP, so I could access it from the '98.

I'm just happy I finally got it to work after a day and a half!! Damn computers.

So, now that I have my small LAN, how do I play a game with against someone on the other computer?

Thanks for your help guys!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]