Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Now, if this gets nasty, its going down quick. Adult opinions only pretty please.

I just saw on 20/20, a movement by a civil rights organization, that is trying to collect money from the government. 135 years ago, prior to emancipation. They are trying to sue for damages caused by slavery. The recipients of monetary amount that they want to sue for? Every Afro American citizen. The scary part? I think I actually heard them correctly.

Chris Rock did a survey in the spirit of comedy. He asked random caucasions "How do you feel about this?"

a. I'm sorry, let me write a check right now.

b. I feel bad about what happened 135 years ago but I dont feel like giving up any money for it.

c. You can kiss my white ass.

You would be suprized how many, on camera, opted for C.......final answer. (me)

WTF? Anybody feel like this should even be discussed?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Theres a similar argument here - not monatary though at this stage, simply wether the white population of Australia should apologise to the aborigionals for past wrongs

Personally I'm not too sure dwelling on matters of the past is terribly constructive - acknowledge the bad stuff - dont sweep it under the carpet, and move on, learn from those mistakes to make things better in the future.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Uh, no...

Yes, racism still exists. However, slavery doesn't. Nor do institutional laws which kept blacks from access to equal opportunity. Jim Crow may exist in the hearts of some people, but he sure ain't legal...

Black people in America today have only an historical connection to slavery...there's not a black person born in this country who experienced slavery. As opposed to Japanese who received reparations due to internment during WW2, blacks today did not experience slavery directly. What claim could they possibly have for reparations?

Slavery is a part of America which can never be removed. It was and is a defining characteristic of our country, but not only because it existed. Not only was our great nation guilty of this wretched barbarism...not only did our country betray its ideals by allowing and codifying slavery...but slavery demonstrated that "these truths we hold to be self-evident, that all men are created equal," are greater than the men who wrote them, and America IS that ideal. The ideal that millions want to be a part of.

Slavery was wrong, but America changed because of the ideals that make us who we are.

600,000 men died fighting the Civil War to determine the destiny and face of the nation. Many of those were black men...former slaves...That sacrifice paid for the freedom we all enjoy...

Has the "promissory note" that Dr. King referred to been paid in full? Perhaps not. But has so little of that promise been paid as to justify $500,000 to a person, who may or may not have descended from a slave, simply on the basis of their skin color?

I say no...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I can't see reparations working. If the government pays African Americans for slavery, what about other ethnic groups?

How about the Chinese? They were used to build our railraods and were killed and chucked into the Pacific once the job was done. They'd have a beef if African Americans were paid and they weren't.

So would the families of the innocent Japanese Americans that were put into internment camps during WWII.

Native Americans? Mexicans?

Even the Irish have a gripe (lame as it would be ) about "Irish Need Not Apply" signs that were hung in business windows back in the day.

And those are only the groups off the top of my head that would be clamoring for $$$.

It just wouldn't end.

Talk about reparations might gain African Americans resentment, not money. The country had an ugly past with slavery, no one's denying that, but this isn't the way to right the wrongs, IMO.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I can't see how receiving a large chunk of money makes what was wrong alright.

America today is not the same America that condoned slavery. We're not even the same America that nearly destroyed itself in ending its slavery.

Trying to right the wrongs of history long after the fact sets a dangerous precedent. Who can't find some claim of wrongdoing in their distant past?

More to the point, what would this money solve? If people are saying that this is a cultural pain they are feeling (I have problems understanding what 'cultural pain' is) than how is money going to heal that pain? The past does not change.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:

More to the point, what would this money solve? If people are saying that this is a cultural pain they are feeling (I have problems understanding what 'cultural pain' is) than how is money going to heal that pain? The past does not change.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean no offense but,
    It sounds a lot like prostitution to me.......how can you BUY someones feelings?
    You can't...the feelings will still be there.

You know, I have no idea why I just posted that [img]redface.gif[/img] but I'm leaving it there cause that's how I feel
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ANGEL4U:
    I mean no offense but,
    It sounds a lot like prostitution to me.......how can you BUY someones feelings?
    You can't...the feelings will still be there.

You know, I have no idea why I just posted that [img]redface.gif[/img] but I'm leaving it there cause that's how I feel
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a good point, Angel...

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angel's point is well taken.

But hey, if they wanna dish out cash to everyone enslaved, how about the families of all the immigrants who worked for Carnegie, Rockefeller, etc., around 100 years ago or so. These people worked 18 hour days a lot of the time, and were paid basically nothing. Hell, they had 5 year olds working in factories!

Aside from any moral issue here, consider the results if they DID do this. Since there would be so much more money in circulation, prices of everything would inflate beyond belief, leaving those who did NOT receive free money really up the creek without a paddle.

The whole idea is preposterous. I could go on for days, but I'll spare everyone the agony. I was born into a very lower middle class family, and I am as much a slave to THAT as anything else. Nobody gave ME any money to help me improve my situation or make me feel better. I don't see why anyone else is entitled to that either.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

03.10.06 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sorry but I will probably be the one to get this topic shut down.
    This drives me completely nuts. Why in the hell should the government pay all the black people money because there anncestors were slaves. There is not 1 person alive today that was a slave or who was a slave owner. I know I'm gonna sound like a racist but guess what, I don't care. We have to have affirmative action where there has to be so many minorities on the job. Screw that. It should be the best qualified person for the job. Whether it be black, white, red, yellow or purple. It gets so aggrevating every time a black person doesn't get a job it's because they are black. FUCK THAT! Look at how many successful black people there are out there. They didn't sit on there ass there whole lives and bitch and moan and wonder what else the government would give them for free. Hell those people went out busted there ass and made something of themselves. Just as every person should in this country.
    Let's take it one step further. What about all the Irish that first came to this country. Look at how poorly they were treated. Hell for that matter we should turn this country back over to the Indians.
    This is a free country. Anyone who has a problem with it, and feels that they are being treated so unfairly, you are free to leave.
    I could say a lot more but I won't because there are to many politically correct people out there who don't really see what goes on in the real world!
    Red Rocker Face Down in Cabo!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

C

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I agree totally with MikeL. No amount of money will ever erase the past.
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

My wife saw this story last night and told me an interesting side bar.

The attorney who is trying to get this idea passed is African-American. In his efforts to gain "unity" within the black community, he is soliciting responses he can then use as a "voucher" of sorts. So, he sends any African-American who is interested a form they can fill out and then send it back in to him. I assume this form is a "claim check" of sorts, stating how they personally were wronged by all this.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. This attorney, who is doing this for the good of the black community, is charging anyone who requests this application a cool $50.

What a guy.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Pretty damning info there, Cabo Kid...

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

Slavery = Bad

Wanting to leech off of society for something that you were not directly involved with = as bad(making money off of others suffering/dead relatives).

Sounds like this lawyer is a shit stirer and the only thing he is concerned about is making a quick buck. If he truely believed in this endevour he would do it for free.

Quit bitchin' and get on with life.

c) Kiss my my Big White HAIRY ass!

Nothing personal but I wasn't a slave owner. My ancestors weren't slave owners, thus, everyone in support of this cause can go get fuck!
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That's what I love about you, VG...always keeping your options open...*LOL*