Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

One of the great pleasures in life is to casually run into someone famous. Even better than that is to rub elbows with true mediocrity. Here is my story from last night (11/5/02).

I was in the Admirals Club at O’Hare Airport in Chicago, doing some work as I attempted to kill time before my ever-delayed flight to New York was to leave. After I got my work done (and spent some time on this site), I decided to go to the bar and grab a beer. As I got to the bar, I noticed three youngish, uber-cool looking boys also having a belt. Upon further review, this was teen-pop sensation O-Town. Sitting right next to me was the one with the natty dreads (Jacob as I later found out) with two others on his other side.

Even though I found it difficult to contain my laughter as they tried to look oh-so-cool, I had to strike up a conversation with one of them. Since Dreadlock boy (Jacob) was sitting next to me, he was the obvious choice. I started by making a casual reference to Notre Dame losing as that’s what he and another boy bander was chatting about. We exchanged pleasantries (which is how I got his name) and started chatting. I told him he looked vaguely familiar and he confirmed that we was in O-Town. He told me they were headed for New York (they were on my flight – first class no less) to do some promotion for their new album that will be released next week.

I attempted to steer the conversation towards music and asked him about Van Halen. Surprisingly, he was aware of the bands existence. Not so surprisingly, he is a Sam fan (the kid has to be 22 at the most) as he thinks the band was much more melodic with Sammy. With that, we said a short goodbye and I was on my way to the gate to get on the plane (O-Town gets on last – dammit).

It just doesn’t get any more mediocre than that. I would love to hear your brushes with mediocrity. Let’s keep this forum to bumping into Tina Yothers and not Michael J. Fox, for example. Another thread can be started for brushes with greatness. This is brush with mediocrity. Later, I’ll share my Fred “Rerun” Berry experience. It’s not pretty.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rerun actually showed up at my high school in the late eighties as part of his probation. He was released from jail (I think it had something to do with cocaine) and traveling around the good old USA telling us kids to stay clean. He was really skinny and running around like he was still coked up IMHO.......

I guess about 4 years ago now me and some friends were chowing down late one night at Denny's when the NYSNC tour bus pulled up and those twits bounced in for some grub. Me and my friends started laughing and could not stop.....
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There was a rumor going around my school back when I was in HS that one of the guys from Hanson was going to be going there. One of their relatives actually was going to move there, but someone with way too much time on their hands blew it out of proportion.

Hanson was home schooled, after all
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, here it comes...
    Last year, my senior year of college. Every year the school gets a fairly big name band to perform there...my freshman year it was Violent Fems, Sophomore year it was Live (that kicked ass) Junior year it was the Wallflowers, and senior year, it was Five for Fighting. The night of the Five For Fighting concert was the same night as Senior Death March, where all the seniors go house to house taking shots, and then go to the bars afterwards to drink more...well, on the stumble home from the bars, I noticed some friends selling hot dogs (Weenies for the Wasted) so I stopped to chat and purchase a weenie (I did fit the sales criteria). Well, while I was devouring my hot dog, the bass player for the band walked by (we were right outside the sports center where they played). Everyone around me was star struck, but me, in my drunken state, looked at the dude with my mouth full of hot dog and yelled................."Hey, you guys fuckin' suck".

He looked at me, rolled his eyes and kept walkin.

Now that's mediocre
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I met Kip Winger at a Borders Books and Music once. He was shorter than I am at 5'8".

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i met boxer Buster Douglas at a local fight. not the Buster Douglas that beat Mike Tyson, the 450+ pound Buster Douglas. hard to talk to him while he's stuffin' nachos down his piehole...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and i forgot...had a two-fer sighting at the airport once. the lead singer for Information Society was waiting for a plane to Minneapolis. with his wild-ass hair, it was pretty obvious who he was...same day, on the same flight my friend's parents were on...Corbin Bernsen walked right by us and said hi on his way by. he was coming to Cleveland for the Major League premiere.

these may not qualify because i didn't really sit and chat with them, but it's the best i've got. i don't think i'd walk up to someone famous and start yapping anyways...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I met Ray Combs (former host of Family Feud) in the lobby of the Rayburn congressional office building in Washington D.C. back in the early 90s. He committed suicide a couple of years later. Hopefully, there's no connection.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Well here goes mine...I had just started dating my wife, we decided to go to red lobster. We were waiting for our table. And in the waiting area I noticed a guy that looked like Michael Moorer(he had just lost his heavyweight belt to Forman about 6 months earlier). I decided to ask the host if it was him. What does she do? She yells across the room. "Hey Michael" He looks over.(boy did I feel about 6 inches) I mouthed to him. Are you Michael Moorer? And he nods. I walk over to him and shake his hand. Tell him I'm a big fan and my buisness partner's wife worked for a lawyer who did some work for him. I ask him if he knew her. He said no. I said I'm sorry for toubling him and said thanks for not getting mad for what happened.

A little later I told the host I would like to pay for his bill. He came over to my table with his son and said thanks and that he apprecaited the offer but it wasn't necessary. I shook his and his son's hand. He said have a good night and left.

I also met Bob Segar this past summer, another story, but Bob is not mediocre.

[ November 06, 2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Dimoncutr ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts

A a Columbus Blue Jackets game last weekend, I ran into Buster Douglas. I will never forget February 10, 1990. Our hometown boy did the impossible, beat the unbeatable, knocked out Iron Mike Tyson:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    A a Columbus Blue Jackets game last weekend, I ran into Buster Douglas. I will never forget February 10, 1990. Our hometown boy did the impossible, beat the unbeatable, knocked out Iron Mike Tyson:
    Modin and Douglas. i gotta come hang out in Columbus one of these games
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I once had a red eye flight where I sat next to one of those chicks from Survivor

even tho I'm a fan of Survivor, I couldn't place her name..by the time I get to know their names on the show, they are emaciated and unrecognizable in the real world..but anyway someone later told me that she was one of the ones who got nekkid for peanut butter and posed in Playboy later

blessedly she kept her clothes on for the flight....but then again, I slept for most of the flight so I might have missed something during beverage service.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Why is it that boxers/fighters have to hold their hand like they're punching? Every single fighter ever does that.

Anyway, I have had a few interactions with celebs here and there, especially because of the NAMM show, and I have passed by/waited in line near several at Disneyland as an annual passholder. Also, more recently, I have had digital interactions through Twitter with some celebs.

Most of the interactions haven't been mediocre, but I suppose that in 2010, sitting outside of the exit to Haunted Mansion with a friend while waiting for my gf (she didn't want to get wet; we'd ridden Splash Mountain so she rode HM) at Disneyland, Molly Ringwald came and sat down right next to the two of us. She then took a call and was yelling at some guy. What turned out to be her husband eventually showed up, and they had an argument right there. Eventually she said, "Why don't you just FUCK off," and walked away. We averted our eyes as best as we could.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:24 PM
    Liked 709 Times in 389 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Why is it that boxers/fighters have to hold their hand like they're punching? Every single fighter ever does that.
    They make their living by getting repeatedly punched in the face, so stupid poses shouldn't be a surprise.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

I sat next to that LaBoef (sp?) kid from Wall Street, Indiana Jones, Transformers, etc. on a flight from California to DC. Something went wrong with his ticket booking and he was back in coach, and NOT happy about it.

Pulled up his hoodie, but on his ear buds and sunglasses, and didn't say a word the entire flight. He was really acting like a tool about his seat, so I didn't bother saying one word to the kid.

Also ran into LaVar Arrington and Serena Williams when they were dating at Disney World, man, that must have been five or six years ago, at least. God, the fucking athletes those two would have had if they had gotten married and had kids. You can't believe how muscular she is until you meet her in person.

Edit: Forgot, Robert Duvall, bought him a beer, coolest guy you could ever meet.

Do Sam and Dave count? Met them during the Sam and Dave tour.
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 04.12.12 at 04:25 AM.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!