Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Kirsten Dunst Checks Craven's Pulse
    Sunday, August 18, 2002 12:28 CDT

Production Weekly reports that Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man) is in negotiations to star in director Wes Craven's next project, Pulse, written by Craven and Vince Gilligan (The X-Files. It is based on last year's Japanese film, Kairo, directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. The site offers the following synopsis, which may include some spoilers...

When a missing computer hacker is found dead, his young friends explore his apartment and find an odd black splotch on the wall. Analyzing the contents of a mysterious floppy disk for clues as to the reason for his suicide, the group unknowingly unleash a virus in which real-time webcame feeds are transmitted to various PCs, even when those same systems aren't equipped for the Net, or even...on.

These disturbing signals are full of solidarity shadow figures and pixilated movement, as if being observed from a strange realm meant to resemble our world but losing much in the translation. The teens discover that these digital beings are, in fact, ghosts, but the residues of the solitary living whom exist in a form of living death anyhow as they communicate with other lonely "ghosts" at their desks and terminals. One character likens the afterlife to a hard disc--what happens when it runs out of space? Through a leak, the spirits are finding their way back.

After encounters with phantoms and disembodied messages in dark, taped-up rooms and abandoned factories, only a few of the ensemble survive as the spirit world empties with apocalyptic consequences.

PW goes on to state that the film is scheduled to go in front of cameras October 1st in L.A. Kirsten will shoot this film before returning to the set of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man sequel in January.

[ August 22, 2002, 03:54 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

A Look at Disney's Animated Slate
    Sunday, August 18, 2002 9:02 CDT

Animated Movies has provided us with the latest on Disney's upcoming animated slate. Here's 'Olivier' with the scoop...

A spy from Animated Movies (http://www.Animated Movies.com) got to visit different sections of the Disney Feature Animation Studio in California a few days ago. Here are some tidbits that you might be interested in:

The third installment of Fantasia is now being referred to as THE MUSIC PROJECT. One of the segments will feature The Little Mermaid's Sebastian the crab making music with other crabs and seasnails. The style of THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL is typical Disney... Mike Gabriel (The Rescuers Down Under, Pocahontas) will direct another segment about the U.S.A.

A first poster for FRAIDY CAT was created and spoofs Hitchcock's Vertigo with a cat falling down a spiral hole. The design is reminiscent of Tim Burton and thriller movies from the '50s. Very black & white and stylized.

Good news is, overall it seems like Disney is investing more in 2D than one would think, and not going the all-CG road. They even announced a couple of weeks ago that they planned to develop a new pitch (ANTONIUS) into a traditionally animated project, the first since BEARS was announced a several years ago. Talking of Disney's 2004 feature, it has been renamed MOMENTS. Animation on this project is reportedly gorgeous!

The Mouse House's 2003 movie HOME ON THE RANGE is now in post production. Overall the characters look old, the backgrounds ugly, and the movie's merchandising even worse. When that guy (overweight version of Kronk with moustaches and brown and orange clothes) is away, the farm turns into a Broadway set from the 30s, and cows launch in Busby Berkeley-inspired dance routines. Moderately exciting though.

Some 3D work was started on MY PEOPLES (you can bet Disney will get a more PC title for that one by the time it's ready for release!), and everything else is traditionally animated. The characters are toys made of shirt buttons, plates, pens, thimbles, threads... Very elaborate backgrounds, and beautiful human characters. One scene involves a little girl in a car who realizes that the toys are alive.

Disney conducted tests with 2D characters and 3D backgrounds as well as live contemporary backgrounds (like Dinosaur) for GNOMEO AND JULIET. The movie takes place in a garden, and is a cross between Tim Burton's Hollyood Chewing Gum commercial and Jeunet's Amelie. The garden gnomes come to life and do pink flamingo races, etc.

Other projects in early development include a movie starring ugly elves but great backgrounds, another one about Indian Americans, and a starring vehicle for Peter Pan's Tinker Bell; she would live in her own universe, inside mushrooms, with a tribe of fairies just like her: Fashion Fairy, the Black Fairy... Supposedly Disney is already thinking of a sequel and TV series spin-off. The characters have the typical Disney look (pin-ups from the 50s look) but are not very elaborate (Tink is the best-looking fairy by far).

In the cheap'quels department, MULAN 2 will feature two of the female characters that had a cameo during the "Honor to Us All" segment. Mushu now has his own big chair in the middle of the ancesters' tumbs, and two of them are fanning him with leaves. Mickey's THE THREE MUSKETEERS will feature the famous mouse along with Donald, Goofy and Minnie; the style is very cartoony and childish. And to end on a positive note, there is apparently no plan of a SNOW WHITE sequel!

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Johnny Cash Sings Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Sting & Eagles On New Album
    08/17/2002

(8/17/02, 10 a.m. ET) -- For those who thought Johnny Cash recording songs by Soundgarden and Beck a few years ago mind-blowing, wait'll they hear the Man In Black's forthcoming American IV: The Man Comes Around, which includes covers of Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails.

The album, scheduled for release November 5 on American Recordings/Island Def Jam, is Cash's fourth collaboration with producer Rick Rubin. The 15 tracks mix new versions of Cash's own songs and his interpretations of material that includes Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus," Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt," Sting's "I Hang My Head," the Beatles' "In My Life," and the Ink Spots' "We'll Meet Again."

The set is loaded with guest stars, including Don Henley, who sings on a version of the Eagles' "Desperado." Aussie Nick Cave adds his somber touch to Hank Williams's "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and Fiona Apple appears on a cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water,"

Cash has re-recorded his 1957 Sun Records single "Give My Love To Rose" and "Tear Stained Letter," from his 1972 Columbia album A Thing Called Love. His new songs include the title track, and he also turns to traditional material for the Irish ballad "Danny Boy" and the folksy "Streets Of Laredo."

All all-star roster of musicians are featured on the release, including keyboardist Billy Preston, stringed instrument pickers Randy Scruggs and Marty Stuart, guitarist John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and keyboardist Benmont Tench and guitarist Mike Campbell from Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.

Cash turned 70 on February 26. Columbia/Legacy celebrated with The Essential Johnny Cash and has been reissuing his classic albums for the label. A previously unreleased live album is due August 27, taken from a performance on December 5, 1969 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

In addition, new Cash tributes include Dualtone's Dressed In Black: A Tribute To Johnny Cash with versions of Cash classics by Rodney Crowell, Mavericks vocalist Raul Malo, Rosie Flores, Kelly Willis, Bruce Robison, James Intveld, and Dale Watson.

Another tribute set, Kindred Spirits, is due September 24 on Lucky Dog/Sony Nashville, featuring heavyweight contributions from Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow, Dwight Yoakam, Hank Williams Jr., and Keb' Mo'.

-- Darryl Morden, New York

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

TOMMY LEE Added To OZZFEST 2002! - Aug. 18, 2002

TOMMY LEE has been added to the Ozzfest 2002 line-up. The former MÖTLEY CRÜE drummer and his band will be taking over DROWNING POOL's time-slot on the main stage starting on Thursday, August 22nd at Pepsi/City Lights in Denver, Colorado. Commented bassist Marty O'Brien: "I can't wait to get out there. This will be my third Ozzfest. 1998, 2000 [with KILGORE and METHODS OF MAYHEM, respectively], and now 2002. Playing on those two other Ozzfest tours were some of the best times I've ever had."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

METALLICA Producer Comments On Recording Process, Sound Of New Material - Aug. 17, 2002

In the latest issue of Mixdown magazine (issue #100, dated August 2002), METALLICA producer Bob Rock commented on the recording process for the band's much-anticipated new album and the musical direction of said effort, calling it "different" but emphasizing that the changes that have taken place in the group's sound are, for the most part, "subtle".

Here are a couple of select quotes from Rock as they appear in the magazine:

On the recording process for the new album:

Bob Rock: "We've really kind of changed our process in the way we're approaching this one, starting with kind of, like, where we've done it. The first half of the album we did last year, and what we did was we ended up renting out an army barrack, and we loaded in a lot of my equipment from my studio, my Neve stuff and microphones and other stuff, and we recorded there for two months, and we put down kind of 18 songs. Then METALLICA were building their kind of version of a studio — it's like a big warehouse with a control room in it, and they bought an SSL console. And we've been working ever since. It's definitely a different approach to the whole thing. It is very much a live feel, a live off-the-floor feel, and we're really concentrating on that."

On the new album's musical direction:

Bob Rock: "The funny thing is, like all great bands, it's, like, I guess really different, but to most people when they hear it, it's kind of, like, subtle changes. But they'll always sound like METALLICA and it's still based on that really heavy kind of stuff. It's different, but really it sounds like them."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Walken for Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2?
    Saturday, August 17, 2002 12:38 CDT

Before the onslaught of e-mails about this one, we thought we'd get it out there.

Scooper 'Ariven' pointed us over to the IMDb Spider-Man 2 'Trivia' section which reads "Christopher Walken is being considered to play Dr. Octopus/Otto Octavious." The star of a ton of projects, too many to name (see here), to play the villain in the sequel?

It's all just rumors right now, and still pretty early for announcements to be made about this kind of casting. Remember, the IMDb was the site that had Sam Neill listed as playing Doc Ock in the sequel for the longest time, something that Neill debunked himself.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The Latest Superman Developments
    Saturday, August 17, 2002 9:13 CDT

Coming Attractions reports that Warner Bros.' Superman project may be happening sooner than first thought. The site says that J.J. Abrams screenplay for the new film was turned into the studio and "it has apparently knocked the socks off of everyone there".

The script is apparently 200 pages in length. The scooper for the site goes on to say that he script was so good that it knocked the Batman vs. Superman project out of the way. We've heard some different reasons on why it was pushed back, so we're not sure that piece of info is too accurate.

Apparently one thing holding them back on Supes right now is director McG who is not quite ready to make it yet. The studio may be planning on moving forward with a different director, and who are the candidates? CA says that the line-up includes directors David Fincher, Michael Mann, Rob Bowman and Steven Soderbergh.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Joe Dante Talks Looney Tunes Plot
    Monday, August 19, 2002 7:03 CDT

Director Joe Dante told About.com more about the Looney Tunes: Back in Action plot...

Bugs and Daffy work at a movie studio. Daffy quits because he's tired of Bugs getting all the favorable treatment. He hooks up with a stuntman who is also fired the same day due to hanging around with Daffy too much, and gets involved in his adventure because his father was a secret spy on the trail of a mythical blue diamond. Daffy, of course, wants to go on the journey with him but the studio decides they want Daffy back, so Bugs and a young studio executive heroin have to go out and try to bring him back. It takes place over several continents and it's quite a big deal.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Why No Alamo for Howard & Crowe?
    Monday, August 19, 2002 6:49 CDT

Could it be the script? Perhaps the talent involved? What about the crew? Entertainment Weekly has published a report on why director Ron Howard and actor Russell Crowe won't be involved with the Disney's retelling of The Alamo. Here's a clip...

The reason? Money. Fresh from "A Beautiful Mind," the Oscar-winning drama that grossed $171 million domestically, the trio made some pretty hefty demands, according to sources involved in the deal. They included salary guarantees of $20 million for Crowe, $10 million for Howard, and $7 million for Howard and Grazer's Imagine Entertainment -- or 37 cents of every dollar that Disney collected from theaters, whichever was greater. (The studio declined to comment for this story.) While many stars command a share of so-called first-dollar gross, few companies have been willing to part with such a high percentage of a film's earnings -- particularly one without sequel potential.

Disney apparently balked at both the production budget, which it hoped to slash to $105 million, and at forfeiting a whopping 37 percent of the first-dollar gross before recouping its investment. The studio also fretted about the international appeal of such a uniquely American story and Howard's desire to shoot bloody R-rated fighting sequences. Meanwhile, the "Mind" team held its ground. "Russell and Ron were wed together as an entity and as a loyal unit," explains Grazer. Translation: Without Howard in the director's chair, there'd be no Crowe on the marquee.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

WES BORLAND Denies Having Secretly Rejoined LIMP BIZKIT - Aug. 19, 2002

Former LIMP BIZKIT guitarist Wes Borland has rejected the rumors that he has secretly rejoined his former bandmates and is assisting the group on their long-awaited new studio album, due sometime in 2003.

"Oh, yeah, you got me, I've rejoined the band and everything is great," Borland answered sarcastically when pressed about whether he has returned to the fold. "Fred [Durst] is balls-deep in my mouth right now. This has all been an elaborate prank. I'll be right back in PUDDLE OF BIZKIT when the new record comes out. I'm going to have the best stage get-up I've ever had before. Wanna know what it is? I'm going to dress up as someone else who doesn't wear stage make-up, looks nothing like me, and plays guitar like crap. It's going to be great and everyone will be fooled. At the end of my career as 'someone else playing in a band I don't like,' I'll pull off my mask, revealing my true self, pull a pack of Mentos out of my pocket, smile knowingly at the camera, and then get into Heaven for free."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

GUNS N' ROSES' AXL ROSE To Collaborate With WEEZER? - Aug. 19, 2002

GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose is rumored to be considering a possible collaboration with WEEZER on the latter's next album, scheduled for a February 2003 release, with Axl singing on a new WEEZER track tentatively titled "Mo Beats".

According to reports, WEEZER frontman Rivers Cuomo and Rose are longtime fans of each other's work, a fact confirmed last week when they praised each other's bands before the 30,000+ in attendance at Summer Sonic Festival, where the two groups shared the stage.

As for GUNS N' ROSES, their long-awaited Chinese Democracy CD seems to still be collecting dust on the shelf, with no definite release date yet announced.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

DON DOKKEN: GEORGE LYNCH Didn't Give A Fuck About The Fans - Aug. 19, 2002

The long and well-publicized feud between DOKKEN frontman Don Dokken and former DOKKEN axeman George Lynch shows no signs of letting up. In a recent interview with Glam Metal, Dokken was more than eager to tell his side of the story.

"George was a great guitar player — he was one of the best of the 80's — but I knew from the first day that I met him that something wasn't right," the singer revealed. "I went to [drummer] Mick Brown (who went to high school with him) and said that George seemed a little off, a little strange, he just seemed very angry. I thought that the more famous we got the happier he would be, but it became quite the opposite. It was very sad."

According to Don, not only would Lynch take his anger out on the band, but he would also be very ambivalent towards his own fans. Often he would intentionally try to sabotage the shows. "I would say, please George people pay to see us, fake it, smile to the audience, pretend like you want to be here," recalled the singer. "He would tell me that he was only here for the money and didn't give a fuck about the fans. That really bothered me because without the fans we're nothing. Lynch didn't see it that way — he said that the fans should be lucky that he was playing for them. It was a real big issue with us and I hear that he's not any happier now. I think he needs to take a good look at himself in the mirror, or maybe get some sort of medication. I don't hate him, I just feel very sorry for him. I would hate to wake up every day angry at the world. What a horrible way to live life."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Former SKID ROW Frontman To Embark On Year-Long "Jesus Christ Superstar" Tour - Aug. 19, 2002

Former SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach, late of Jekyll & Hyde and The Rocky Horror Show on Broadway, has signed to fill sandals of the Messiah in the new national tour of Jesus Christ Superstar that borrows elements from the recent Broadway staging and launches on November 1st in California.

A spokesperson for the tour previously confirmed Bach was in talks, and announced on August 13th the deal was official. Carl Anderson has signed to reprise his role as Judas, which he played in the 1973 film version of the rock opera penned by composer Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyricist Tim Rice. (Anderson and the film's Jesus, Ted Neeley, appeared in a national tour of the show 20 years after the picture was released.)

Jesus Christ Superstar will rehearse and tech in La Mirada, California, and play a run of Nov. 1-17 at the La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts, before heading into the desert to play the Aladdin in Las Vegas, NV. A yearlong tour follows to San Antonio, TX, Greenville, DC, Orlando, Minneapolis, Louisville, Kalamazoo, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Baltimore, Vancouver, Milwaukee, Houston, and Los Angeles, among other cities. The tour will last at least to September 2003.

Confirmed dates so far are as follows:

Nov. 01-17 - La Mirada, CA @ La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts
    Nov. 26-Dec. 01 - Las Vegas, NV @ The Alladin
    Dec. 03-08 - San Diego, CA @ The Civic
    Dec. 10-15 – Dallas, TX @ The Majestic
    Dec. 17-22 - San Antonio, TX @ The Majestic
    Dec. 25–Jan. 05, 2003 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ The Broward County Theatre
    Jan. 07-12 – Greenville, SC @ The Peace Center
    Jan. 14-19 – Orlando, FL @ Bob Carr
    Jan. 21-26 – Louisville, KY @ The Palace
    Jan. 28-Feb. 02 – Minneapolis, MN @ The Orpheum
    Feb. 05-09 – Kalamazoo, MI @ The Milller Theatre
    Feb. 11-16 – Buffalo, NY @ Shea's
    Feb. 18-Mar. 02 – Cincinnati, OH @ The Aronoff
    Mar. 04-09 –Indianapolis, IN @ Clowe's
    Mar. 11-16 - New Orleans, LA @ The Saenger
    Mar. 18-23 – Philadelphia, PA @ The Merriam
    Mar. 25-30 – Columbus, OH @ The Palace
    Apr. 01-06 – Atlanta, GA @ The Fox Theatre
    Apr. 08–13 - Baltimore, MD @ The Mechanic
    Apr. 15-20 – Boston, MA @ Wang Theatre
    Apr. 22-27 - Charlotte, NC @ Ovens
    Apr. 29-May 04 – Richmond, VA @ Carpenter Theatre
    May 06-11 –Providence, RI @ PPAC
    May 13-18 – Norfolk, VA @ Chrysler Hall
    May 27–Jun. 01 - Vancouver, B.C. @ Q.E.
    Jun. 03-08 – Seattle, WA @ @ Paramount Theatre
    Jun. 10-15 – Portland, OR @ Keller
    Jun. 24-29 - Kansas City, KS @ Starlight
    Jul. 02-06 – Vienna, VA @ Wolftrapp
    Jul. 08-13 – Appleton, WI @ Fox Cities
    Jul. 15-20 – Milwaukee, WI @ MPAC
    Jul. 22-27 - Fort Worth, TX @ Bass
    Jul. 29-Aug. 03 - Kansas City, KS @ TBA
    Aug. 05-10 – Vienna, VA @ Wolftrapp

Last Online

09.14.15 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    [QB]Why wouldn't you cash in on something bigger coming off of Spider-Man. Craven's movies are nearly "B" grade!!!

QB]
    What idiot said this? Wes Craven has go to be one of the most influential horror directors of the last three decades. John Carpenter might be the only one ahead of him in terms of influence and impact. Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes are two of the most notorious films of the 70's. Nightmare on Elm Street created one of the most famous horror movie icons ever known. Sure, he's had a couple films that have been below par, but so has Spielberg (1941, anybody?). Add to that, even though I'm only a fan of the first film, the Scream trilogy was one of the biggest horror hits of the 90's. So how are his films "B grade"?

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I'm the idiot and you're right, he did have some pretty good ones to go with the bad.