Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am writing this from the Cleveland area. About 4 or 5 years ago as an April fools stunt, a radio station known as "the buzzard" played songs from the mid to late '80's all day long...leading me to believe they had changed their format. I loved it! I caught it on the way home from work, stopped and grabbed a 12, and went home and listened till I passed out. Every town has a "classic rock" station but I am curious if any radio station is formatted to the "hair band" genre. Isn't this "classic rock"? I hope a radio guy reads this and gets a wild idea...the audience is there.
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

A few years ago there was a station here that played "harder-edged" classic rock, meaning it was heavy on the '70s and '80s metal. It wasn't strictly "hair metal" per se, but it did include a lot of it. Still, even though I enjoyed listening to it at first, it got repetitious REAL fast. The station stayed with the format less than two years and is now an FM talk station.

BTW, speaking of "hair metal", I absolutely loathe that term [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] , especially since most pop music of the past 25 years has had something to do with hair. How come early-eighties pop (a la Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, et al) isn't called "hair pop" or red/purple-dyed punk haired bands of the 1990s weren't called "hair grunge" or "hair alternative" or "hair punk"? Why single metal out?
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,460 Times in 896 Posts

Excellent point, ScottRoberts!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Originally posted by ScottRoberts:
    BTW, speaking of "hair metal", I absolutely loathe that term [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] , especially since most pop music of the past 25 years has had something to do with hair. How come early-eighties pop (a la Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, et al) isn't called "hair pop" or red/purple-dyed punk haired bands of the 1990s weren't called "hair grunge" or "hair alternative" or "hair punk"? Why single metal out?
    If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of those bands back then that were called "Haircut Bands" (I think because of bands like "Haircut 100" and "Cutting Crew").

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't like the term "hair band" either but it did simplify my question. I think that label cheapens what was in my opinion some great music and an actual demonstration of musicianship.
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The local radio station around here does some things with the "Hair Bands". Everyday they do the 4:00 haircuts where they play 2 songs from the 80's bands, and on the weekend when they play "Rock Blocks" all weekend, which is 3 or 4 songs at a time from a certain band, sometimes they will throw in a "Hair Band" block. I grew up on these songs so I love it when they play the old 80's tunes, takes me on a trip down Memory Lane. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by ScottRoberts:
    A few years ago there was a station here that played "harder-edged" classic rock, meaning it was heavy on the '70s and '80s metal. It wasn't strictly "hair metal" per se, but it did include a lot of it. Still, even though I enjoyed listening to it at first, it got repetitious REAL fast. The station stayed with the format less than two years and is now an FM talk station.
    Yes indeed, it was a sad, sad day.

RIP, "the Rock". [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...i only once remember hearing an all metal format, it was an am station out of portland, oregan that ran for a little while in the late '80s or early '90's...yahoo's launch.com has pretty well every niche format you might wish for...
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Last Online

02.05.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

same problem here in Ireland...there's not even 1 rock station.. So at work I'm now listening to msn radio.. on the following link:
    http://entertainment.msn.com/style/?style=1883
    there are radio stations for
    Arena Rock
    Hair metal
    metal classics
    Guitar Rock

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here in SF classic hard rock station The Bone came charging out of the gate a few years ago leaning very heavily on the '80s metal stuff for its identity. But after its first 6 months of operation it was apparent that they weren't going to fight the good fight forever (no pun intended). The Def Leppard and Crue and even VH slowly started to slip as the station diluted more and more traditional classic rock into their playlist.

In the last 4-6 months I've been hearing a lot of Doobies, Eagles and even Creedence on this station, and I've just about given up hope. Don't get me wrong - I dig plenty of MOR classic rock, but The Bone was supposed to be a station that stuck to the heavier stuff. In less than 5 years it's morphed from a solid German beer into a watered-down Budweiser.

Incidentally my band played on Bob Coburn's Morning Show at this station last year, and we had a great time. I'm disappointed that our songlist no longer closely matches the station's standard artist playlist.

The Real Deal

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing!
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:46 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I can't even remember the last time I had an actual radio station on. There's always been a couple good rock stations here in Seattle though, but I have no idea what they play anymore. The only stations I turn on our on our DirecTivo. It has several music only stations dedicated to different styles of music. One in particular called "power rock", is all the stuff you're talking about. They just played Kiss of Death by Dokken for example. No DJ, no crossfading songs, just one after another all the time. Lots of VH too. It's cool when i'm in the mood for that stuff.

But then, you can't get that in your car. So..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ScottRoberts:
    Yes indeed, it was a sad, sad day.

RIP, "the Rock". [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I liked The Rock...until about the 1000th time they played Fastway's "Say What You Will". [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] It's a kick ass tune, but did they need to play it every two hours?
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com