Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Inspired by Goo:

What does everybody do on Christmas? All presents open Christmas eve? Christmas day? Half and half? Food? Corny relatives doing weird stuff every year?

We generally sleep in Christmas Eve day a little bit then start cookin'. We have all the family that can make it come up, or we go down to where they live in southern Oregon. We open gifts from extended family on the eve. It's fun. Thats when my Mom and her sisters start giggling like schoolgirls for one reason or another and the boys (uncles/cousins/brothers) go out and shoot the shit over a few beers or whatever and talk about good toys or just whatever. It's a family thing. My Dad generally likes to read a Christmas short story written by a famous Alaskan author. It's cool, but he's the only one that lived in Alaska so everybody just kind of accepts it and puts up with it because he likes it and tells it well. lol Around 10 or so is when the little ones need to crash so Santa can build/organize etc. (Sometimes Santa is up a little late because he has a hard time with some of the smaller parts after lengthy discussions over beer or scotch)

Christmas morning is more centered on the immediate family. We get up when our daughter does. Sometimes I can't sleep while I'm thinking about her reaction to what santa has left out for her.

We take about an hour to wake up, and let her play with whatever Santa leaves out thats not wrapped. Then, I read the Christmas story from the Bible. Lukes account is great. Luke Ch. 1 vs 26-56. and Ch. 2 vs 1-20. We thank the lord for bringing us his son for our sins in prayer and then start opening presents from each other.

The rest of the day we visit, play with our new toys (young and old), watch sports on TV, eat too much food, get heartburn, take a nap, wake up and eat too much, drink a little and crash.

What do ya'll do? Got some funny Christmas stories? Odd traditions? Lets hear em'.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Gotta' work this year on Christmas Eve till 3. So no sleeping in for me.

I have 2 boys (12 & 3), and we make a Christmas video, complete with Holiday music and dancing. Video of the Christmas tree, Christmas morning, etc. We just have fun with it.

My 2 brothers and I always get the families together, get drunk and exchange gifts, etc. Its a great time of the year.

I always crank out some fun Christmas songs as well. I stay on the Christmas music theme until New Years Eve. At which time I convert to some hard metal.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

All albums
    Favorite VH Song

All songs
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, first off, I have to work and don't know exactly what time to. There are 5 of us... my wife and three kids(2 girls ages 12 and 5 and the boy age 18 mths). We go to my mom's house and eat dinner and exchange gifts w/ my other relatives. My mom and step-dad come over X-mas morning and we exchange then. After dinner at mom's we head over to the inlaws for more festivities. We exchange gifts with everyone(alot of inlaws) and the father inlaw dresses up as Santa and has everyone sit on his lap and he gives out little presents to everyone and then we sing X-mas songs.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

On Christmas Eve, my mom's side of the family gets together at my parent's house. We eat, drink and be merry. After dinner and dessert (and after waking up my uncle who is usually sleeping), we then open gifts one by one.

On Christmas Day, we get together with my Dad's side of the family. We eat, drink and be merry.

NOTE: My parents are not divorced.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cool thread bud. [img]smile.gif[/img]

anyway, xmas eve for us is pretty simple, our extended family lives in ontario and we live out west, so it's just us. anyway, on xmas eve we chill with the family and my mom always gives us a brand new set of pyjamas so everyone has something warm to sleep in. it's been a tradition for as long as i can remember. then my dad will read his favorite xmas story, "dave cooks the turkey" or something. it's one of the funniest stories i've ever heard. he's got a couple books with funny stories like that, and we just sit around with eggnog (with or without rum, depending on your age) and listen. then we go to bed, and the younger ones in my family wake up at around 6 with excitement, but my mom says that we can't open presents until the whole family is awake. so my brothers get extremely pissed off at me for sleeping in all the time, until they get fed up with me and wake me up at around 9. then my mom will cook some crazy sweet breakfast and then for lunch i'll eat a toblerone or something.
    for dinner our family friends usually get together with us and we stuff our faces. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

We're kind of new at this so I haven't got things under control yet. Basically, the kids get up way too early (which is pretty much every day), then I struggle to convince them we need to eat first (when I was a kid we either opened our stockings or one gift before breakfast - the rest we had to wait for - my wife thinks that is insane to make 'em wait...), then they basically tear through the gifts in an attempt to set some sort of record, not paying attention to who gave whom what. It's anarchy. But I'll try again to impose some sort of order in a couple of days...

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm working Monday, then off until the 6th of January...Tuesday, i will try to stay as far away from the retail areas as i can...i may try to sneak over to our favorite wing joint and stock up for the day, since late Christmas day i'll be jonesing for some bar food...

it's kind of rough getting everyone together on Christmas...my parents are divorced, and my sister in law's parents are divorced, too, so it makes it rough for everyone to get to see my brother's kids. so my mom and i will go to my brother's first thing Xmas morning and take my nephew and niece their presents. somewhere around noon i'll come back home, take a nap, and be at my mom's around four for dinner and our gift exchange. my brother doesn't have it so easy, after we leave they go to his mother in laws and then his father in laws, and they get home somewhere around 9. Thursday my dad will wander in from Toledo to see the grandkids, so i'll go back to my brothers to hang out with them for the day, and keep me from hitting the big sales on the 26th...

as for traditions...typically at dinner we all sit there and argue. happens every year...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, VH, WACF, Balance, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, H4T, I\'m the One, Romeo
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, thats the way Goo~! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Too damn hot for the roast

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Tradition changed about 5-6 years ago because our family has gotten lazy and figured they want to sleep in Christmas morning. Christmas Eve we have dinner around 5pm (EST) and go to our church for the kids play at 7pm. Come home open a few presents from each other go to the late service. Come back home and open the rest of the presents. That way we get to sleep in 'til we wake up Christmas morning.

I remember when I was a kid waking up ~6am and having to wait until 7 or so b/c my parents helped "Santa" finish wrapping the gifts and were up half the night. Waiting that 1 hour was like pulling teeth w/o any novacaine (sp?).

So there is my tradition. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas, Chanukah (sp??), or whatever else you might celebrate.

Later All!!!
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

when i was a kid, we would go out to the children's mass at 4 pm on christmas eve, then get a bite to eat. never anything fancy, just wendy's or skyline or white castle's or something. we'd come home, and the gifts would all be under the tree (done by my uncle while we were gone). my parents always made us waite while they took photos, just to drive us nuts.
    christmas day would be a big turkey dinner.

now i'm married, which complicates things. my family drives to the grandparents house, usually the weekend before, and the weekend after x-mas. (one weekend at mine in cincy, one at my wife's in youngstown.) we keep christmas eve and day for ourselves. her family never opened their gifts on christmas eve - i hear that's a german thing. so we comprise, by giving each other gifts on christmas eve, with santa dropping off all his loot on christmas morning that means i don't get to sleep in, but like a lot of the parents above said, your sleeping-in days are over when you have kids!

sweet thread [img]smile.gif[/img] merry christmas n happy hollidays!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, I'm working right now, for about another hour or so, but this is the first time THAT has happened.

Normally on Christmas Eve we go to church (to keep from having to get up tomorrow) and then go to whoever's house is hosting the get together my mother's family has on C-E. It's a pretty large family and it's our house's turn this year so things should be hopping about 5 in the evening (unless that snow they're predicting turns nasty). When all that's done it's usually after midnight and for probably the past ten years we've been opening gifts then because otherwise I'd have everyone up at the butt-crack of dawn to do it

Christmas day is usually pretty restful up until around 3 in the afternoon when we do something with my aunt (dad's sister). We get to go up to Dayton this year (her place) and spend the day there - whoopie.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:06 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Well, I'll just rehash what I posted in the mods room

Obviously here it's summer, so we do it a bit different

It's Christmas eve here now. We don't really do anything special except have a few drinks and nibblies. Best thing is we get told to go home at bout 1pm (it's not a public holiday here, don't know bout you guys)

Tommorow (Xmas day) we have a big breakfast of Ham, Eggs and croissants done outside on the BBQ.

Lunch is usually a feed of seafood. This year it's oysters and Prawns (shrimp). It's too hot this time of day to attempt a roast anything

Dinners usually late, it'll be roast chicken and ham this year.

All washed down with generous quantites of alcohol of course [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ December 24, 2002, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cool topic
    I am 22 and just out of college. I went to mom and dad's place (which is now 4 hours from my home). And my 2 bros and 1 sis, parents and I would open presents Christmas morning and then drive 3 hours from Strugeon Bay to Milwaukee where my extended family (all aunts, uncles and grandparents) lives. We always went to my Dad's mom's house and stayed for a couple hours and then went to my mom's brother's house. We always got gifts from grandparents on both sides of the family and it is always fun. My Grandmother on my mom's side of the family just passed away in early November, so this was the first Christmas without her there. We kinda wondered how it would be...when it came time to open presents, my grandfather (who is not my mom's dad...my grandmother re married after her first husband died young) gave us all an envelope...in each envelope was a $20 and a picture of Grandma. Nice thought for a guy we never knew how to address. At this point, my cousin, who has a kinda punk/alternative look, took his sweater off and rolled up his short sleeve shirt to reveal his new tattoo....he had "Doris" written down his arm....Doris was the name of my Grandmother...It was a good Christmas.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Kinda late on this, but what the hell. Been married almost 10 years, with an almost 6 year old son. We do Thanksgiving at my parent's in NJ, so unless they come up to me for Christmas, which they didn't do this year...

We have my wife's family and some friends over to our place Christmas Eve. After they leave, we let my son open one present, which is what I did growing up. After the little dude goes to bed (was remarkably easy this year), we set up his Santa gifts, and then my wife and I settle in and open our gifts for each other. It's just a little tradition we started some time ago. Gives us a chance to be, uhhh, close and alone to, um, express our appreciation to each other

This year my wife woke my son and I up at 7 am (grrrr, would've been nice to sleep), he goes nuts over his Santa stuff, then we open whatever we have under the tree. Then it's over to her mother's for brunch. Since this was our first year in our house (used to live in a two family), the family that lived upstairs from us for the past 6 years came over Christmas morning, my wife cooked up some eggs and bacon. We always used to end up upstairs in their part of the house for breakfast, so they came to us this year. Kind of nice, actually.

Just so my parents don't get lonely, my wife took my son down yesterday to see them, they'll come back Sunday.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Thought it would be nice to bring this back and have people contribute with some new posts.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

17. The Following Member Likes This Post: