Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

What's the difference? I didn't even know about the Cube until today at work. I've been jamming on my PS2 though the past few weeks. Madden 2002 rules!!! What is everyone else playing with these days (video game wise)?

It's nice to be "thirtysomething" yet still act like a kid, isn't it? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NGC is coming out around November 18th (IIRC) of this year. It will use a form of DVD technology to power the games, however the discs will be smaller than normal and the system itself will not be equipped to play DVD movies (to keep costs down).

The price tag on the NGC will be $199.99 ($100 less than the PSX2). The system comes built in with four controller ports (unlike Sony's machine), and it actually has games worth playing on it for launch.

A number of 3rd party software makers have committed to creating games for Nintendo's 128-bit system. The list of which includes:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Nintendo (duh)
    <LI>Acclaim
    <LI>Activision
    <LI>Capcom
    <LI>Crytek
    <LI>EA
    <LI>From Software
    <LI>Infogrames
    <LI>Interplay
    <LI>Kemco
    <LI>Koei
    <LI>Konami
    <LI>LSP
    <LI>LucasArts
    <LI>Metro 3D
    <LI>Midway
    <LI>Namco
    <LI>Rareware
    <LI>Sega
    <LI>THQ
    <LI>Titus
    <LI>Ubi Soft
    <LI>Universal Interactive[/list]

This means such games as all the EA sports lines, all of the Sega Sports lines, Sonic Adventure and Phantasy Star Online series, Soul Calibur 2, Tony Hawk and Spiderman games, Crash games, and WWF games will be on the system. Capcom has announced Resident Evil will be EXCLUSIVE to the NGC (aside from Code Veronica on the PSX2). There has been some indication that Squaresoft might consider the NGC, and Enix (makers of Dragon Warrior) are undecided.

Nintendo has committed to new games in the following series: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Wave Race, Smash Brothers, and Mario Kart.

Current games slated for launch are:

SSX Tricky (EA)
    Luigi's Mansion (Nintendo)
    Wave Race: Blue Storm (Nintendo)
    Star Wars Rogue Leader (LucasArts)
    Super Monkey Ball (Sega)
    Madden 2002 (EA)
    Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 (Acclaim)
    Extreme G3 (Acclaim)
    All Star Baseball 2002 (Acclaim)
    NFL Quarterback Club 2002 (Acclaim)
    Crazy Taxi (Sega/Acclaim)
    NFL Blitz 2002 (Midway)
    NHL Hitz 2002 (Midway)
    Batman: Dark Tomorrow (Kemco)
    Universal Studios (Kemco)

Games currently confirmed to be coming in the rest of 2001:

Pikmin (Nintendo)
    Super Smash Brothers Melee (Nintendo)
    Eternal Darkness (Nintendo)
    FIFA Soccer 2002 (EA)
    Resident Evil 0 (Capcom)
    Galleon: Islands of Mystery (Interplay)

GC Games will cost $49.95. Some NGC games will have programming allowing them to interface with comparable Game Boy Advance games (as the GBA can link directly to the NGC).
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

On Fire
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

Stuff, you are the man! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Playstation 2 kicks ass! Right now I'm addicted to Madden NFL 2002. I have some other older games but that's the one I play the most. If I had some more cash I would get a memory card and start a season. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roshambo:
    Stuff, you are the man! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, I just know way more about video games than any grown man should be legally allowed to [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

For example, I know the general word on the street was most people were disappointed with the PlayStation 2, mainly because it went months and months before it had a single game anyone cared about. It still doesn't have the positive impression about it that the PSOne did. Of course most industry magazines aren't giving Microsoft a chance with the XBox, though that really depends on how many gullible people out there buy into it.

I can see it now, you're playing the latest release and finally beat that difficult boss for the first time, but as the next sequence is loading the TV screen goes blue.

"This system has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down.

Press A+B+C to reboot or start to shut down. Any unsaved information will be lost."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 12 Posts

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    I can see it now, you're playing the latest release and finally beat that difficult boss for the first time, but as the next sequence is loading the TV screen goes blue.

"This system has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down.

Press A+B+C to reboot or start to shut down. Any unsaved information will be lost."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL - too funny!

I, for one, am a PS2 fan. Being in my mid 30's, I have had plenty of experience with Nintendo and just can't seem to find a happy medium with it. Just too much 'kid' like atmospheres to their games.

I have NO disappointment with the PS2 and it's just getting better. Way back when the original PS first cam out, it took time for the games to demonstrate what it could do. No difference with the PS2. Anyone that was expecting differently was only fooling themselves. This is generally the pattern.

And correct me if I am wrong. regarding the Resident Evil series, I believe that latest is that they are releasing the series from the beginning for the Cube, meaning 1, 2, 3, and Code Veronica. When that is finished the contract is technically complete then the general concensus is that they will be releasing future titles after that cross-platform.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Capcom plans to release RE 1-Code: Veronica on the Cube, as well as RE 0. The issue isn't so much a contract - the creator of RE feels you should be able to find all the RE games on one system and not need to own half a dozen. The one system they picked was Nintendos.

Bottom line is, though, if you're happy with what you got, good for you. You don't regret spending your money that way.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Donor

Capcom plans to release RE 1-Code: Veronica on the Cube, as well as RE 0. The issue isn't so much a contract - the creator of RE feels you should be able to find all the RE games on one system and not need to own half a dozen. The one system they picked was Nintendos.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that was the case, then someone would be able to get all the RE games right now with a PS2 wouldn't they? They would not need to own any other system.

I stick to what I said before. I believe this agreement is for six games. To quote PSXExtreme:

"The games expected exclusively for the GameCube are as followed: RE Biohazard 0, RE Biohazard 1, RE Biohazard 2, RE Biohazard 3, RE Biohazard 4, and RE Biohazard Code: Veronica. Although this news seems striking, there is still an amount of optimism left for PS2 owners. We here at PSX Extreme believe that once development begins for RE Biohazard 4, Capcom will most likely begin creating a PS2 version to be released once there contract with Nintendo is up, as it will be close to their conclusion of the six game deal."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
    Bottom line is, though, if you're happy with what you got, good for you. You don't regret spending your money that way.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then why is it in all previous threads that deal with PS2 you always bash it and find fault. I respect your opinion and all, but I think there's something more here than meets the eye.

If you are so happy with what YOU have, then why do you feel the need to tear down the other systems?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jetm:
    Then why is it in all previous threads that deal with PS2 you always bash it and find fault. I respect your opinion and all, but I think there's something more here than meets the eye.

If you are so happy with what YOU have, then why do you feel the need to tear down the other systems?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have opinions on the matter. I've seen what the PlayStation 2 has to offer, and from my perspective, it doesn't have anything worth spending $100 more than Nintendo on. Maybe that will change.

You can't accuse me of system bias, though. Not that I need to justify myself, but in my bedroom I have the following:

Sega Master System
    Sega Genesis (w CD and 32X)
    Sega Saturn
    Sega Dreamcast
    NES
    Super NES
    Nintendo 64
    Game Boy Advance
    Sony PlayStation

I've found merits in all of those systems. It says something when I can't find a damn thing on the PlayStation 2... at least it says something to ME. If you're happy with the purchase, good for you. But I can still have my own opinion, right?

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Holy crud, Stuff, where'd you ever find the A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H switch to handle all those systems?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Donor

But I can still have my own opinion, right?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABSOLUTELY! Never said you couldn't. It's obvious that you have a strong preference towards Nintendo which, as a system, I have always found particularly weak. But if you are happy spending your money on that and are satisfied, then atleast you won't think it is a waste either.

Enjoy the umpteenth version of Mario!

Last Online

07.07.15 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok lets include the x-box...anyone want to include this in the comparison...i know little about it but it seems to be a future player in the gaming industry

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Microsoft never, never, NEVER gets anything right the first time. Woe to those who pick it over its established competitors.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeL:
    Microsoft never, never, NEVER gets anything right the first time. Woe to those who pick it over its established competitors.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens here - I dont bother with consoles, but do play a LOT of PC games, and have for years. I prefer the depth of a lot of the good PC games. All the little user made addons are great fun to fool around with and getting into online games can be a real hoot - 'counter strike' for instance, rules! Also the developers seem more willing to take a risk with titles that dont fall into any particular niche, 'Sacrifice' is one of the best games I have ever played. 'Giants:Citizen Kabuto' and 'Black and White' are totally oddball but brillia nt. Thankfully now gaming on the PC is relitively straightforward (anyone remember the days of editing memory settings, and config.sys files........ugh)

However one of the big pluses the console gamers have always had is its just a case of popping the disk/cartridge in and away you go. If anyones gonna make it more complicated, its Bills gang!

[ October 10, 2001 at 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by billy007:
    Holy crud, Stuff, where'd you ever find the A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H switch to handle all those systems?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's the breakdown:

I'm using RF Switches for the Master System/NES/Genesis/SNES combo - they're all just daisy-chained together and plugged into the back of the TV.

For the Saturn/PSOne/N64/Dreamcast I have a four way switch. I bought three splitter cables (two female to one male) and hook both of my Sega systems into one port, the Nintendo in the second, the PSOne in the third, and my DVD player in the fourth.

We have an old Mattel Intellivision downstairs and the GBA doesn't need a TV.

:switching gears:

I'm sure I will enjoy the umpeenth Mario game, because like Sonic games and Rayman games (etc) they're all well-done. Of course I'm a platformer nut, and all the major platformers (Mario, Sonic, Rayman, Crash) will find their way to that system. The only thing I'm concerned about is the presence (or lack thereof) of RPGs on the Cube down the line. That might be the system's one sticking point (RPGs are the only reason I own a PSOne).

As for Microsuck's system, I really don't expect it to amount to much. Perhaps they will shock the world, but things don't look promising. They've already announced that X-Box production will be lower than anticipated (SIGNIFICANTLY - anyone remember Sony's problems last year?), which has caused the system to be delayed two weeks into later November (the 15th seems to pop to mind for some reason). None of their games really excite me either - a system without games is worthless.

I'm not sure if they're planning it, but I'm a bit concerned about their original idea of making the X-Box upgradeable like a computer. The problem with this is twofold. Add ons will inherently sell at a much lower volume than the basic system (check the numbers for the Sega CD, 32X, and Super Game Boy for proof). Second, with a console system, a game developer has the comfort of knowing every system can handle their game exactly the same way, allowing them to optimize it for the system. If a console's specs become varied, a company either has to risk producing a game some people will not be able to play or produce one for the least common denominator, which makes the upgrades worthless.

I haven't heard anything about it recently, but hopefully Microsoft wised up and scrapped that idea.