Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was reading USA Today, and the cover story is about the impending media coverage of the 9/11 anniversary. I thought it was interesting that opinion seems to be split evenly between those who are sick of the 9/11 coverage and want it to end, and those who feel that not having coverage means that we have forgotten or are ignoring what happened to our country one year ago.

What do you think?

On that day, I am hoping we can pay tribute to those who have died, respectfully and with out overwhelming sensationalism. I like the idea of a moment of silence.
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:25 AM
    Liked 973 Times in 390 Posts

hey diamondsgirl! [img]smile.gif[/img]

that is a good question!

the media likes to hype everything these days so i would not be surprised if it gets oversensationalized. it should be covered, it's an important, although unfortunate time in our country's history

there's no way anyone can expect it to be on the quiet side so to speak. people are already starting to talk about it. i can't imagine it getting any quieter

some people will probably thihnk why beat a dead horse? and i agree somewhat. but as a country, we need to remain vigilant and not be naieve about what can happen to us here on our own soil. if the media coverage of 9-11 does that for you, then i think it served it's purpose. however i think if people are watching the news and treating them as "highlights" of a tradgedy, then those people (and our country for that matter) are no better off now than when 9-11 happened

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I dunno. I doubt Americans are any more vigilant than we ever were before. Perhaps certain government agencies are, but media coverage isn't the reason for that.

It doesn't matter to me what kind of media coverage there is. Some folks will complain either way. I guess I'd rather have less than more. I'm not too kean on reliving a day of sitting in front of the TV watching those scenes over and over.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:41 AM
    Liked 548 Times in 329 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The media will overdo it, for sure. They always play for the sensationalism. But it shouldn't be ignored. I would prefer that every news cast, every show, everything on TV lead with a 30 second clip of something like the towers falling with a caption of Never Forget. And be done with it. We really don't need a bunch of windbags analyzing it for us. Just the image and the idea.

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I don't really know. However, one thing I did enjoy was the singing of the national anthem at the baseball games when they came back last september. Now, if those baseball a-holes don't strike, I will turn on the TV just to watch the singing and nothing else. That is all I need.
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do think it is an important date in history. Infact I think in a way it was a re-birth of Patriotism and Unity. I'm sad to see the flags coming down and people forgetting how we felt when we all came together after that frightful day. I do think that airring the attacks again and again will just be glorifying what those bastards did to us. They love seeing it. I think the best way to remember that day is to show the way that people came together, show the vigils, the fund raisers, the flags at 1/2 staff. The way the communities pulled together to help. Honor the dead and those who survived. Honor those who helped. DO NOT honor the terrorist by showing the damage they did...Honor the US by showing how we survived. I dont want to see the hype die before the problem is solved. Lets not forget we still have soldiers fighting for our right to freedom. Just because it was a year ago and we have all went on with our life, we still have to put an end to terrorism.

[ August 22, 2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Fabulous Shadow aka VHL ]
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good points by everybody - it's obvious that if the media feels the need to set aside everything else to cover the anniversary, they are going to have to find a good sense of balance in their presentation.

We most certainly need to pay respect, but I think we can do that in our indivdual daily lives without making a TV special out of it. The thing is, I've seen coverage throughout the entire past year - "three months later, our country recovers", "six months later - where are we now?", "9 months after 9/11...how have we changed?". The way the media stays on top of it constantly, I think the most dangerous effect is how it desensitizes us - we can't move forward productively if they are painting such a self-pity picture of our country with each "new" coverage.
    I would hate to see the flags come down too, just like Fab says, but I think that we should be flying our flags every day,without making them a symbol that pertains solely to that day. One of the beautiful things that came out of that tragedy is the remewed interest in patriotism and love and pride for our country. We should allow that feeling to live on now, without a tragedy to persuade us.

Anway, I think we need to remember the day by all means, but I don't see a need for emotionally teasing, overwrought productions from the media - it's things like that which keep us looking vulnerable and afraid to move on. We have to be able to prove collectively that we are past the grieving stage and are rebuilding and not afraid of terrorism. A national moment of silence would be great - and then we should all continue living the lessons we learned from the day and how it affected us.
    Unfortunately, Mike and IED are right - we won't all be satisfied with the way the day is treated, nor does the media care - they will do whatever they want to. So - if we don't like the extensive coverage - let's turn off our TV sets and radios and give homage with our individual prayers, etc. and let the media see by ratings that we don't need their "tributes" to remember our heroes and their great acts of humanity. We don't need their "highlight reels" to remember the pain and tragedy of lost lives.

And those that feel they need these things in order to remember - well then, by all means they should tune in.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

A year later, I just don't like it that people are capitalizing/making money off new-found patriotism. So many consumer products. It's great if you want to buy a flag to display, or if the proceeds are going to a relief fund from that CD of patriotic music...but there are so many cheesy little products...for example, my grandma gave me this red, white, and blue USA pen. In little tiny letters, it says, "Made in Taiwan."

I personally am not sick of the coverage (you don't have to tune in if you don't want to) and I personally loved seeing "United We Stand" and "God Bless America" all over the place for the past year. But the fact that someone is trying to make money off it selling these tacky little pens, stickers, T-shirts and what-have-you just bothers me.
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I'd just be happy to see some terrorists swinging from a tree...by the neck. Hell, I'll watch Fox all day just to get a chance to see that.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for example, my grandma gave me this red, white, and blue USA pen. In little tiny letters, it says, "Made in Taiwan."
    That is pathetic!
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm tired of hearing all of this "Let's Roll" crap! I'm not making light of what the people on that plane did in biting the big one in order that the plane didn't hit another target, but enough is enough. Todd Beamer wasn't the only heroic person on that plane, though you'd think he was according to the media. There were several dozen brave people on that plane, in my opinion.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The pen thing is ironic, but do we really lament not having more pen factories here in the US? Not too many American kids grow up hoping to make minimum wage packaging pens.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow aka VHL:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />for example, my grandma gave me this red, white, and blue USA pen. In little tiny letters, it says, "Made in Taiwan."

That is pathetic!</font>[/QUOTE]I think it is pathetic too!...Here is a story for y'all. I work for a major retailer who PART of what we sell is patriotic merchandise. On 9-11-01 we sold out of American Flags immediately! We recieved some flags a few days later that were made in CHINA!!!! I WAS PISSED!!!! Here I am, the manager of the department, and we are selling Chinese made American Flags during tragedy. I sent an E-mail to my buyer and told him a few words of my disbelief that our customers can't buy a flag from the USA! YET...the Middle East can find our flag and burn it on T.V.!!!! The VERY next shipment of flags were MADE IN MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN!!! YES I made a buck selling these items, BUT, the American People are the ones who decided to become "more" patriotic and spend their hard earned money. I hate to see less and less patriotism throughout the year for the fact that some people think it was cool to have a flag to "fit in"...if you are patriotic then be consistent!
    I want a moment of silence on 9-11...not a huge media sell-out! Light a candle and raise OUR flag with passion! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member
    When we remember 9/11 one thing is not to forget all those servicemen and women who have given their lives fighting terrorism in Afghanistan. Men like Neil Roberts.

Roberts was a Navy SEAL based out of Virginia. Maybe you remember the story as given by the State Department talking heads. Robert's Chinook helicopter was hit by a rocket propelled grenade while on a mission searching for AL-Queda hideouts in the mountains of Afhanistan. The grenade didn't explode but it forced the pilot to take evasive manuvers. The helicopter suddenly lurched upward and Roberts grabbed hold of an Air Force gunner who was about to fall out of the helo. Roberts was able to save the guy from falling but unfortunately he suddenly lost his balance and in turn he fell out. He fell about 15 feet to the ground, was dazed but not seriously injured. The chopper meanwhile had to set down about a mile away due to mechanical difficulties. A rescue party made up of SEALS, Army Rangers and Air Force Para-rescue personnel was soon formed up.

Meanwhile Roberts had activated a personal radio beacon used in cases such as this for rescues. He knew a rescue party would be headed his way. He also soon realized that they would be surrounded by Al-Queda and any helo would be targeted. Roberts was able to see unfriendlies headed his way. Armed only with a 9MM pistol and six magazines Roberts began to engage Al-Queda armed with rifles and heavy machine guns. He obviously believed he had no choice as any rescue party would be ambushed. By engageing the enemy, resue personnel would be alerted. Roberts without a doubt saved many of his fellow Servicemen's lives.

Whether Roberts ran out of ammo and had to surrender and was then killed or was killed in action is not known. When his body was found by U.S. Forces, his head had a fatal bullet wound. Also "multiple enemy bodies" were found near Roberts. He had fought hard to protect his fellow comrades in arms.

The interesting thing about the story is the State Department, for some unknown reason, chose not to reveal this story. They only said that Roberts was seen by surveillance aircraft being carried away by suspected Al-Queda. They stated he was either dead or unconscious at the time.

My source for this information is a guy named Bill Salisbury. Salisbury is a retired Navy SEAL living in San Diego who regulary writes Navy/military/SEAL stories for the San Diego Reader, an independant rag out here. Salisbury attended the memorial for Roberts in Little Creek, Virginia and got his info from from both retired SEALS and active-duty SEALS who were on the ground with Roberts in Afghanistan. Those SEALS stated that "major payback was extracted" from enemy forces after Roberts body was recovered. Robert's name is now part of Navy SEAL folklore and the ridge where he died in Afgahnistan is now called "Robert's Ridge". He left behind a wife and I believe 2 small children.

Anyway think about guys like Neil Roberts when trying to decide which brand of cold beer to have and while your're at it offer up a toast in his memory. I intend to do so later tonight myself.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:
    The pen thing is ironic, but do we really lament not having more pen factories here in the US? Not too many American kids grow up hoping to make minimum wage packaging pens.
    Damn Mike, you took a weird little tangent on this thread.....but true nonetheless! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!