Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I know there are a few northern brothers and sisters on this board, so I want your opinion on this case. Evidently, US Air Force pilots killed Canadians who were running an exercise.

Should the guys face court martial, what?
    Your favorite band sucks.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Yes those Americans should face a court martial. Then they should be thrown in jail for a long time. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Im not Canadian, but I am in the Marine Corp, I for one wish that more information was made available concerning this.

I have been schooled concerning how to "Call For Fire", which is what the Canadians were doing. Basically you give the pilot or artillary your location (by using a grid location on a map), and then the location of the target you want to destroy. It's obviously important that you get that in the correct order, or that the pilot relay's the message back in the correct order. If that doesn't happen then your probably going be getting an up close and personel view of a 500 pound bomb, and you wont get to here it coming.

It's a tough position for the pilots, if the troops on the ground screwed up then it could still be looked at as if the pilot's made a mistake as well, there supposed to ask for clarification just to be "safe". If they got all the info required, in the correct order, but screwed up do to incompetence then they need to throw the book at them.

I just would like to know exactly what happened, it's on tape somewhere, the information is out there, why haven't we heard it yet?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH3... it varies.
    Favorite VH Song

too many to count... I\'m diggin\' Can\'t Get This Stuff No More right now.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I think they should face a court martial, and be penalized for their immature judgement. Not too harsh of a sentence, as it was obviously a mistake (I'd like to think so anyway), but I don't think they should emerge from this whole ordeal without some sort of penalty.

The worst thing about this incident is that, in my mind, I have this picture of Airforce personnel with bad haircuts in their high-tech fighter planes, beating their chests and shouting out something Hollywood style, to the line of "Let's kill those Afghan cocksuckers!" while they unknowingly drop bombs on their allies, then say "oops." and just brush off the whole thing.

That would be the worst, but I highly doubt that it happened like that.
    "The common thing on governments as an institution is: they're all bad worldwide. It might be the only thing that binds all nations together: the incompetence of their governments. Look at the people who have been president in the US so far... could I DO ANY WORSE?"<br /> <br />~ Frank Zappa

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by xaminer:

The Canucks were conducting a live-fire exercise during times it was not authorized. The pilots should be let off and the Canadians should go drink a Molson Ice and shut the fuck up.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Originally posted by BigBadBrian:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by xaminer:

The Canucks were conducting a live-fire exercise during times it was not authorized. The pilots should be let off and the Canadians should go drink a Molson Ice and shut the fuck up.</font>[/QUOTE]You Sir, are an idiot!!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what bugs me is that they were hopped up on amphetamines at the time, and apparently that's standard protocol. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    yeah, if it was an accident, then it's an accident, end of story, but to me it seems like this accident could have been easily prevented. we'll just have to see, but yeah, if the pilots made a dumbass mistake, then they should face a penalty.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i should also mention that this isn't a case with canada. it's a friendly fire case, and i think the same type of deal would be happening if they accidentally ended up bombing some american soldiers. the fact that they bombed canadian troops i think is irrelevant, except that there would likely more of an american citizen uproar if it happened to american troops.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

brian is a fucking moron, but we knew that.

laner's right about the amphetamine issue. the pilots are put in a bad spot, where they are flying a superhuman amount of hours, and are unofficially forced to rely on drugs. friendly fire accidents like this and in desert storm should at least make the higher-ups review this policy. but i doubt that would ever happen.

i think the deaths are tragic, but an assumed risk when a soldier enters a war. that doesn't make it acceptable, and the pilots should face consequences of one kind or another. you don't just shrug off killing your allies.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:05 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

I'm in the military and I would want to see all the facts first. If they are guilty, they deserve what they get in a court of law.

By the way, when did this happen?? I haven't been watching the news lately.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

last april or may, i beleve.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

laner, where did you here about the "drugs" aspect of all this? I did here something about that early on but it didn't catch much wind.

If that is true then it's pretty shocking, and very telling if there trying to make it out that this is common practice in the Airforce. They do have the most incidents of friendly fire, by far (as far as them being the perp's).

I have spent my entire 12 years around Marine Corp pilots, I have never heard of them taking anything like that just to remain "sharp" in a stressed combat situation!

All this being said, Airforce pilots are...

I will just leave it at that, you can pretty much finish that sentence any way you like and it would basically apply.

[ January 14, 2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: willy4pres ]

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I don't know all the facts but have been following this story... some issues:

There were communications break-downs that resulted in the pilots not having any knowledge of live fire training operations by the Canadian unit. Those people responsible for ensuring that information was put in the right place should be side by side with the pilots that dropped the bomb in any investigation/court martial proceedings.

Why on earth would anyone be engaged in a live fire training operation in the middle of a live combat zone... simply defies logic and common sense. Whoever authorized or ordered the excercise placed our Canadian brothers/sisters in harms way and should be investigated/court martialed as well.

Overall I think an investigation should be performed across the board on this whole matter. The pilots are only a part of the bigger picture. When they called in the live fire threat, flight ops were there and failed to inform them of the presense of friendlys. Pre-flight briefings should have covered the position and excercise activity by the Canadian troops and finally consideration for authorizing the Canadian troops to perform thier excercise is questionable in judgement IMO... Central Operations/command had a hand in this... so I don't think the pilots should bear all the responsibility... it's obvious they made mistakes and I'm sure they are suffering as well knowing their mistakes took good peoples lives.

It's really tragic that there was loss of life from the mistakes of many people that led up to this. My prayers go out to the families of the soldiers who were killed and injured as a result of this.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Zahzoo... it is a very complicated case and you can't just say, "Court Martial them!" and scream for blood.

They WEREN'T informed of the canadians and felt they were being fired upon. They were also ordered to hold their fire but fired anyway.

However, the air force gave them the speed and encouraged their use. I don't think these guys are totally to blame; They thought they were doing the right thing.

I can see a reprimand for firing, maybe a court martial... but I am more interested in seeing the briefing people and the flight ops take most of the blame for this. And I'd also like to see alternatives to narcotics while in flight.
    I've got the cure you're thinking of.<br />------------------<br />Remixed! Van Halen covers done by my band: <br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Dreams.mp3" target="_blank">Dreams</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Panama.mp3" target="_blank">Panama</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Unchained.mp3" target="_blank">Unchained</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/AtomicPunk.mp3" target="_blank">Atomic Punk</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/SomebodyGetMeADoctor.mp3" target="_blank">Somebody Get Me a Doctor</a><br /><br />NEW: Burning Tires and Dr. Love:<br /><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/HearAboutItLater.mp3" target="_blank">Hear About It Later</a>