Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

Thank GOD and the United States Supreme Court that common sense and decency prevailed in this case. Check it out: www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,26947,00.html
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

No shit, this is a great day. We can finally bring paganism and Satanism into the schools in an organized, legal fashion. We'll do it for the children. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

why do we need a SUPREME COURT? is it to say that killing babies is fine?
    is it to infringe on the rights of states? or to fix election?

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

quote:
    Originally posted by MikeL:
    No shit, this is a great day. We can finally bring paganism and Satanism into the schools in an organized, legal fashion. We'll do it for the children. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

What the FUCK are you talking about now?!?! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think this is fantastic.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    No shit, this is a great day. We can finally bring paganism and Satanism into the schools in an organized, legal fashion. We'll do it for the children. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, if pagan shitbags and Satanic shitbags (they're actually one in the same, no matter what they say otherwise), want to hold a meeting after school hours they can.

[ June 11, 2001 at 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Van Gully ]
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The door is open for just about anything being done in schools after class by just about anyone. Do you want your kids staying after school to be exposed to all sorts of religious views you'd rather they don't experience?

I lived down south for a while, where you'd find a basement church every few blocks in most neighborhoods. Some real fucking wackos walking the streets trying to sell you their version of god, too.

Religion should be a private matter, IMO.

At least they'll all have the same access to the buildings. Xian, Islamic, Jewish, Crazy Splinter Groups That Want Your Kids, whoever.

Last Online

No shit, this is a great day. We can finally bring paganism and Satanism into the schools in an organized, legal fashion. We'll do it for the children. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This coming from an avowed Atheist. What do you care, Non-believer?

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think kids find more than enough reasons to ostersize each other already. If this becomes prevalent, you'll have kids knowing what religion each other belong to, and perhaps not acting like they should. Would most parents want their kids being exposed to all sorts of other religions, or perhaps attending those other religions' services?

Are the groups that use the facilities going to be expected to pay to use them?

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I have no problem exposing my daughter to other religions. Why would I? She will be raised in this house with the teachings of Jesus Christ. I'd hate for her to grow up ingnorant of what other religions believe though. They wont poison her. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

The door is open for just about anything being done in schools after class by just about anyone. Do you want your kids staying after school to be exposed to all sorts of religious views you'd rather they don't experience?

Hey, rocket scientist, what don't you understand about after-school hours? Children ain't gonna be exposed to any of this unless their parents/guardians want them too. The school isn't promoting any type of religion. It's just another building that can be used for any group meeting.

I lived down south for a while, where you'd find a basement church every few blocks in most neighborhoods. Some real fucking wackos walking the streets trying to sell you their version of god, too.

Dude, I lived in the South too, probably longer than you, and I have to say I never experienced what you did. I was stationed in North Carolina and in LA (Lower Alabama). I must say your description of what the South is like is bullshit. Matter -of-fact if you wanna talk wierdos walking the street and preachin' whatever word, then the Nothern states and cities are just as bad. Ever been in D.C., Cleveland, N.Y.C., Detroit, Boston, or Chicago? You can find street corner preachers everywhere.

Religion should be a private matter, IMO.

*Sigh* It is. They are just holding meetings in the school. It that ok? They are not forcing peopel to attended. The government is not promoting one religion over another. This is just the Supreme Court protecting the rights of people to peaceably assemble.

At least they'll all have the same access to the buildings. Xian, Islamic, Jewish, Crazy Splinter Groups That Want Your Kids, whoever.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or Atheist extremist who want all and any mention of any type of religion banned. Would it be ok , in your mind Mike, if an Atheist group held meetings at a school? I know, I know, it's not a "religious" group, but it's still a group expressing their beliefs.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It'll bring up a lot of questions, though. Confusion, too. I started wondering about the nature of religion when I was a kid. No one, not ministers, parents, or youth group leaders gave me adequate answers.

I think this opens the door for a lot of things people may not expect, or be ready to deal with.

I don't think it's going to become too common, though. School districts will expect to be paid for the use of the facilities. The irony is that some of that money will be spent teaching evolution and sex education. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by topik killer:
    why do we need a SUPREME COURT? is it to say that killing babies is fine?
    is it to infringe on the rights of states? or to fix election?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF??!!? So, I take it you don't like the SC decision on this matter?

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Van Gully:
    Would it be ok , in your mind Mike, if an Atheist group held meetings at a school? I know, I know, it's not a "religious" group, but it's still a group expressing their beliefs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think using public buildings for secular purposes is ok. I don't think using them for anything more religious than Cub Scout meetings is ok.

Religion is great stuff for people that need it, but as with anything else I think it has a time and place that's appropriate for it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am an 'avowed atheist' but I generally don't have a problem with the concept here, save for a few questions I have as to the students' intent.

The school I taught at last year didn't have meetings or anything, but the kids had a Christian organization that had a page in the school paper, organized dances, and stuff like that. They printed flyers and stuff that they made available to anyone interested. That was fine. Nobody pushed anything on anyone, and there was never a problem that arose.

I have no problem with religion going along with school functions. Every banquet I attended while in school had an invocation and a benediction; same goes for graduation. They didn't hurt anyone with their existence, even heathens like myself.

I would actually LIKE to see a return of prayer in schools, with those who don't wish to participate being allowed to exercise that right without undue antagonization. That 'moment of silent meditation' bullshit gets old fast.

HOWEVER, what are the motives behind kids doing this? Are they really hard up for a place to worship, or are they simply pushing to make a point? They have churches; they don't need the school to become one. How many of these meetings are even going to be about religion? I have certainly been to many an after school meeting, both as student and teacher. They are USUALLY nothing more than an excuse to build a clique. (that is true for teachers as well) The intentions are not altruistic.

MikeL said that the kids are opening the doors to ostracizing; well, the way I see it, they get what they deserve. The minute you begin identifying yourself as part of a group rather than an individual leaves you vulnerable to attacks based upon that group's characteristics. If that's what they want, that's what they'll receive.

While I have no problem with people having religion or practicing it in public, I don't like having it forced down my throat either. Every Jehovah's Witness who ever made it to my door got an earful and a half. The moonies at the airport are lucky not to get beaten up for their often physically intrusive manner. If any group of kids in one of these after-school meetings steps out of line as a result, the school should be allowed to shut them down for good.

If I thought these meetings were going to have their focus on their faith and not be another excuse to socialize in school, then great. Go for it. But if these kids use it as an excuse or a springboard for other activities, I say put an end to it.

And when some girl gets knocked up at one of these religion meetings, I will not be surprised. I don't buy that these kids won't corrupt the arrangements; it's adolescent nature to push boundaries and challenge adults at any cost.

I guess we'll hear how it all works out soon enough. Although I have no problem with religion in schools, I just can't see something like this NOT getting twisted into something other than its stated intent.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

I think kids find more than enough reasons to ostersize each other already. If this becomes prevalent, you'll have kids knowing what religion each other belong to, and perhaps not acting like they should. Would most parents want their kids being exposed to all sorts of other religions, or perhaps attending those other religions' services?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most kids already know what religion and/or denomination their friends are. I know I did. It didn't mean anything, though, they were still my friends. Kids will experience
    all types of belief systems by the time they're adults. It's up to the parents/guardians to mentor them and help them figure out the road they want to travel.