Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Is today D-Day for the Twins and Expos?

Will someone take a chance on David Wells?

Will Bonds and Giambi be in Yankee pinstripes next year?

Will there be a delayed start to the season next year?

The Twins better not be eliminated. I'll be wearing black forever. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Personally, I think Brett needs to find out if Bud Selig has been seen anywhere near the servers, because twice I've posted about what a shame it would be for the Twins to be contracted and you'd be hard pressed to find either post now because they've BEEN CONTRACTED! I don't know what's going to happen. I'd like to say if they delete either team, I'm finished, done - I'll find something else to spend my money on. I'll retire jack007's and mine Marlins clothes and get us more Bucs and Jags stuff. But I don't think I'll be able to do it. I sent a letter to all 30 teams expressing my feelings, and this is what I got back from the Padres:

Dear Mr. W:

Thanks for your compelling e-mail. None of us are keen on contraction and
    it is a bit premature to comment on how the owners might elect to vote. But
    clearly, something must be done to bring about a sense of financial
    competence of a system that is spinning out of control

In any case, I shall share your thoughts with both our CEO, CFO and Chairman
    at the earliest possible convenience.

Tim Katzman
    Special Assistant to the President

None of the other teams have responded with more than a "we've received your message and it will be forwarded to the appropriate people" message (and only a few at that).

It's stupid, it's dumb - thinking that they are going to solve the financial problems of the league by getting rid of two teams. How about solving the financial problems by not alienating fans with things that most of us don't want like interleague play & playoff and world series games that run into november and end at midnight. How 'bout giving baseball back to the kids by having playoff and world series games on weekends played during the day? How about making it more affordable for a family of four to attend a game? How about finding a way to reward good players who stay with one team instead of following the money? How 'bout not charging for audio broadcasts on real.com? Just a few thoughts...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Well said. If they contract these two teams, I think you'll see the league shrink to 24 clubs in the next 10 years.

San Diego
    Oakland
    Anaheim
    Toronto
    Tampa Bay
    Florida
    you're all next.

Especially if they keep extending the current Collective Bargining Agreement.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I hate to see the Twins go. The Expo's need to be gone, the Devil Rays should be on the chopping block before the Twins. The Twins have a history and a fan base, the Devil Rays have a bunch of triple A ball players and a nasty looking stadium. This is a sad day.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

06.07.06 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is the link to an article about the vote to contract two teams for those that haven't seen it.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/1106/1274159.html

I think this is really a bad move on baseball's part. There are apparently a lot of problems with MLB and I don't see how stripping teams away from their fans is going to help. Something needed to be done about Montreal, but taking away the Twins is a major bonehead move. I really don't believe that MLB has done enough previously to keep contraction from happening. I think they did make a mistake by expanding too rapidly, but why should Minnesota's fans pay the price? This is another black eye on the face of baseball in my opinion. This is really a shame to me after experiencing one of the best World Series in recent memory.
    My name is Bond. Astrobond.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Well, this is total bullsh*t! Hopefully it will get struck down or something by the players or the courts 'cause it's just wrong. As I mentioned earlier, when will it stop? I mean, if you base it on attendance, besides Montreal you had Florida, Tampa Bay, Kansas City & Chicago (White Sox) with worse attendance than the Twins, and Philadelphia, who was in playoff contention right until the end only slightly better. So how can you gauge it off that? Wipe out the Phillies, even though their building a new ballpark as we speak? Wipe out the White Sox - the paint's barely dry on their stadium? Who's next? Like Jim Caple's article on ESPN said - just a few years ago you would've wiped out probably Cleveland and Seattle. It's just plain greed and stupidity and even though they've made this vote, I hope it still gets stopped. And Carl Pohlad should get hung by his ankles and pinataed with one of Harmon Killebrew's bats for sticking up his hand and saying "pick me, pick me!" Rat bastard.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Pohlad's name will be mud here from now until... well, not just until he's dead. His sons won't be able to do business here either. Carl Pohlad had every opportunity to find a buyer for the Twins. He only recently (with the week) let it become public knowledge that he was in favor of contraction. This is--of course--after he sold off his banking business for $1 billion and won't face a harsh backlash as he isn't much of a business owner anymore. He bought the Twins for $38.2 million, all of which was financed. He's never spent a dime out of his own pocket on the team, having taken out loans for every bit of money that went into them. It's reported that he'll get $200-250 million from MLB for folding the franchise.

I'm no baseball fan. I don't watch the games, and I don't go to them. I do understand the economic implications for my city with the team folding. The sad thing is that a local group of buyers could be found, if Pohlad would be willing to sell to them. He wouldn't get $250 million from them, though.

This is a move on the part of the owners to spite the player's union. If they were smart enough to follow the lead of the NFL, they'd not have these problems.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    I never thought I'd seee the day I was rooting for Don Fehr to save the Twins. ugh.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well, it's sad to see this situation, but as a person who's definitely more of an expo fan than you guys are, it is probably the best thing for them. olympic stadium is a ghost town every game. it's almost painful to watch.
    because of this lack of fan turnout, it makes me pretty sure that there's not much of a chance that they will ever get enough revenue to be able to be competitive again.
    this is most likely different for other teams, like the twins and marlins. it would have more of a backlash if those teams went than one if the expos went.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

06.07.06 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're right laner, the Expos are probably beyond help as long as they are in Montreal. The people there obviously have little or no interest in the team.

Since 1991, six teams have won the World Series, and Minnesota and Florida are two of them. That should be enough to eliminate them from consideration for contraction, but I guess it's not since their owners aren't able to stick their hands into the public trough. But I don't just blame the owners, the players are just as greedy and don't want to do the things that would help major league baseball in the long run such as agreeing to a salary cap. Both sides are ruining the game so that they can each gain leverage to use against each other, but pretty soon they are going to find out, much like Van Halen, that the more they continue to ignore and disrespect the fans, the less the fans are going to care and then it all falls apart.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One of these days a salary cap and revenue sharing WILL be forced through, if for no reason other than MLB will face extinction at this rate.

Glad to see I'm not the only person that doesn't care for interleague play. It kind of takes the magic away from the world series - especially if the two teams that make it have already played 3 or more games against each other that year.

I'm all in favor of pure regional realignment. Make it so that no one has to drive more than 4 hours to see a ballgame. That's how rivalries form.

There really is no clean way to do this. Obviously some teams scream to be put together (Reds and Indians, Cubs and Whitesox, Yankees and Mets, Astros and Rangers).
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dino (in the Too Bad Bud Selig Is Not Commissioner of Al-Qaeda thread):
    Baseball should have thought of that before they went on with adding a bunch of teams. A team like Minnesotta, that has a history about it should not be eliminated. It should be the last teams added, first teams dropped. Pro sports is all about money anyways, so it does not matter. They should also think about limiting the salaries that these players are getting these days. Too many millions of dollars for some cry baby athlete that does not know what a real days work is all about. That would bring ticket prices down and maybe people would start going to games again.<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stuff No More (in the Too Bad Bud Selig Is Not Commissioner of Al-Qaeda thread):
    I'll be the first one to say all sports are over-expanded right now.

Consider the NFL. A couple of years back the Oilers move to Tennessee. Now next year they're giving Houston ANOTHER football team (the Texans). The hell?!? If they didn't support the first one, why would they support this one?

I would have never added the Diamondbacks and Devil Rays in MLB. Adding the Marlins and the Rockies seemed like a decent idea to me because the National League was a few teams short to begin with. But think about it - Arizona could have had a team anyway. All they would have needed to do was court the Expos and rename them when they moved.
    <hr></blockquote>

I don't agree when people talk about overexpansion or watered down talent. Maybe if Abe was more of a sports fan we could get him to run down the numbers. But since I haven't done that, you'll have to come to your own conclusions.
    In 1946, there were 16 teams in the major leagues, I'm guessing with the same 25 man roster as today (or pretty darn close), except almost all 400 Major League Ballplayers were American caucasian males - a few latinos here and there (if their skin wasn't too dark) and that's basically it. Just based on those facts, if darker-skinned Americans had been allowed to play, you should've conceivably been able to field 32 teams. Today we have 30 teams of 25 players - 750 overall - you mean to tell me that with the population explosion, the inclusion of darker-skinned Americans, more Latin American players, more foreign players we can't find 350 additional players able to play the game?
    I don't know what people use to justify overexpansion - seems it's mostly bad pitching. Could it be that with all the time batters are able to now spend on hitting a baseball (possibly the hardest thing to do in sports, except maybe hit a hockey puck while on skates with some goon intent on committing bodily harm), smaller stadiums, pitchers being handcuffed by rules (no brushback pitches, ever-changing strike zones), different baseballs, maybe the pitching's just as good, but hitters are now better? In the old days, hitters didn't have time to go to winter leagues or spend time in the batting cages - most of them had to have a regular job in the off-season - they couldn't work on their craft. Anyway, I think there's plenty of good ballplayers out there to stock the teams we have now and maybe even more. Sometimes you have to look at things a different way.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    That's it. If the Twins are contracted, I'm never setting foot in Miller Park again. I'm not giving the Selig family another nickel. When he said it was NOT a bad day for baseball (regarding contraction), it drew a line in the sand for me.
    F*ck him. If the Brewers were in this situation he wouldn't act like such an owner f*cking puppet and do what ever was necessary.

[img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by billy007:
    Dear Mr. W:<hr></blockquote>Bill W?

"Is there anything left in that bottle?"

Sorry, don't mind me, that just struck me as funny. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Please click on this site. Tell Bud Selig what you think of the Twins being contracted.
    Just click on "Sign The Petition" just under the green Minnesota state outline. Thank you.

The "Keep the Twins at Home" petition drive is being led by Paul Ridgeway, the special-events organizer who planned celebrations after the Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991. He said he will deliver the signatures to baseball commissioner Bud Selig before owners vote early next month on eliminating two teams for the 2002 season.

Official petitions are available at

http://www.keepthetwins.com