Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What does everybody think about this? A few years ago my Dad told me he'd pay me $10 for each A I got (excluding PE and electives). Since then I've bagged a lot of bucks, but my Mom doesn't really believe that students should get paid for their performance in school. Any thoughts or opinions?
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't get any dough for my grades, but I wish I did. Might be a good thing though, because if I did, I probably would have ended up owing my parents some money after last semester's report card [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Man, I wish I'd gotten a deal like that. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I tried to keep my parents out of my homework and grades as much as possible. I wasn't a kid who ever spent much time on studying, and that worried them. I kept telling them that school was my responsibility; not theirs.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    Man, I wish I'd gotten a deal like that. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I tried to keep my parents out of my homework and grades as much as possible. I wasn't a kid who ever spent much time on studying, and that worried them. I kept telling them that school was my responsibility; not theirs.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha I am exactly like that [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't get paid for my grades, but I would be rich if I did. I am one of my highschool's scholors because I score he highest on my higest on the placement test in my school, skipped a math course, and score in the top percentile on state tests. I am going to be a freshmen in highschool in 2 month's FYI. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] It sounds like I'm bragging. sorry
    "There's a time and place for everything- for everyone."

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wish my dad would have done that. I would have make some serious cash myself....
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_<br /><br />No Remorse<br />No Repent<br /><br />_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sleepless Nights:
    I am one of my highschool's scholors because I score he highest on my higest on the placement test in my school, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you do in English classes?
    Delusions of eloquence

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My English teacher was a fucking moron. He didn't teach us anything. He let us yell across the room and do whatever the hell we wanted.
    "There's a time and place for everything- for everyone."

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was never paid anything for getting good grades being that it was expected of me to do well. I used to dread bringing home a 45% or a 50% needing my parents to sign it. This always seemed to fall coincidently on a day when my father was already in a bad mood from work and then the sh*t would hit the fan for sure. Lamps would get broken and people would get yelled at etc.

$10 for an A is a real good deal - don't turn your nose up at that!

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Whatever gets kids to work harder can't be too bad.

It's a shame I never got this kind of opportunity. I'd have brought in a whopping $1.87, in total, I'm sure. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

(BTW, A joke went over someone's head a little while ago in here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Find it, and win valuable prizes... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Down In Flames:

(BTW, A joke went over someone's head a little while ago in here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw that [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Well, I tried to get my parents to pay me for good grades, but they wouldn't go for it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I do, however, believe in reinforcing a job well done by my kids, but I don't use money.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I dig when that happens!

Wow, $10. for an "A" - my how inflation and COL increases have taken us the past 20 years. I used to get a buck an "A" some quarters - don't remember what my Mom's criteria was for which quarters I got paid for - probably ones that followed a bad one or ones that started off poorly or maybe just an end of year thing. I'm trying to find a way to reward my son. He does great the beginning of the year, but the last month or so, forget it! Maybe we'll just tell him that school gets out the end of June next year!

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Down In Flames:
    Whatever gets kids to work harder can't be too bad.

It's a shame I never got this kind of opportunity. I'd have brought in a whopping $1.87, in total, I'm sure.

(BTW, A joke went over someone's head a little while ago in here.

Find it, and win valuable prizes... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me what I win, and I will expose it. I caught it right away 'cause I are a good student [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyhoo... I woulda been driving a Mercedes in highschool if I had a deal like that, but I was lucky to get the 5 tokens per 'A' at the local video arcade [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, this is an interesting topic. I had a professor once who was of the mindset that our society was becoming far less focused on education, and more focused on entertainment. Now, the buzzword in the computer industry in "edutainment". I know this is a tad off-subject, but bear with me, and hopefully you will see some sort of connection [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

His premise was that as a society, we had reached a point where education was virtually impossible without entertainment and the real teaching had gone by the wayside. I argued that anything we can do to get kids to WANT to learn had to be a good thing, but he vehemently disagreed. He referred to the 1850s (I think?) Lincoln/Douglass debates (I believe they were debating for senator of Illinois? Any history majors that can confirm or correct this?) Anyway, people lined up for 2 days to fill a cramped auditorium and listened to these guys debate for 14 hours, nonstop.

Imagine what it would take today to make that happen. We can't even watch a 1 hour Presidential debate without getting bored. His point was that our society has become so dependent upon entertainment, that we HAVE to be entertained to function. (Perhaps this is a contributing factor to the apparent surgence of A.D.D. which one of my children has?)

I bring this up merely because I think monetary rewards fall into a similar category. Would $10 entice me to work harder for an 'A'? Maybe. But, does that 'A' make me smarter or more likely to succeed than Billy, who got nothing for his 'B' or 'C'? Probably not. In fact, it could be warping my values, and making me even more superficial than society already is [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I wonder which would have a greater impact on my future success in life? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    <b><i>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />Darkness, imprisoning me.<br />All that I see: absolute horror.<br />I cannot live<br />I cannot die<br />Trapped in myself<br />Body my holding cell<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /></i></b>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Nope my parents would never do that, they just expected it from me. Not that I always got A's, but there was no monetary award on the other end of them.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

ALL!!!!!!! Um.. VH II or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I get paid 2 bucks per A... but now that I'm in highschool I get 4 bucks. A friend of mine gets $20 per A, $15 per B and $5 per C. And I failed Math... which actually went over pretty well with my parents... but anyways.. there's my 2 cents.. er.. 2 dollars on the topic!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    ~Little Dreamer~<br /><br />Lost me? Try looking somewhere between Heaven, Hell, and 5150!!