Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Really. I think Gore should concede already. He's in a no win situation. Absentee ballots historically go for Republicans. Thus far, with all 67 counties reporting, Bush is ahead. Quit the legal bullshit and prevent more confusion and possible anarchy. More quarreling will only lead to more states having a recount and further disgrace for the government. What do you think? (Plus, yes, there are 19,000 idiots in Florida. The ballot was created by and approved by Democrats. It was sent out in the mail weeks in advance. They have no ground to stand on other than to say, "yes, we're idiots." I think the arrows and the big print threw them. That's my guess. Bottom line, what's done is done.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not so fast. I don't believe 327 votes is enough to award the Presidency on when there are still ballots uncounted.

The incorrect assumpion is that all of the overseas ballots are from the military and herefore, Republican. This is a huge conclusion to jump to, and not neccessarily valid.

Many of them are American Jews(Florida residents) currently on vacation in Israel. The majority of Jews vote Democratic historically, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the rhetoric of the religious right which excludes their beliefs as "wrong" by virtue of the fact that they aren't "Christian".

Even the conservative Jews are not a sure bet for the GOP as Joe Lieberman himself is a conservative Jew.
    And although I'm sure "YOU WILL HATE DEMOCRATS" has become part of the standard military brainwashing (aka "bootcamp") there is no guarantee that every overseas serviceman will follow the party line. It is, after all a secret ballot and they can't discharge or court martial you for voting.

Besides, Hooligan, I thought you were only 17, couldn't vote, and didn't like Republicans OR Democrats. So why are you taking sides anyway?

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

[This message has been edited by FORD (edited November 10, 2000 at 06:45 PM).]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Concede for the good of the Nation? Please, the good of the nation is to have who really won, win. For that matter we could argue that Bush should concede, I mean Gore won the popular vote, should be winning florida (although I don't think there should be a recount...its hard to dismiss the fact the Bucanan votes proabably are Gores and so would most of those 19000 thrown out even if they were idiots) and Bush knows it (of course he won't admit it). So even if Bush should legally win the election maybe he should concede for the good of the country because his presidency will only be seen as legal not legitimate. AND by the way, If Bush was in Gore's position do think he would just lie down and quit fighting. These men have spent the 2 years of their lives to get here, I wouldn't quit either damn it.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

First off, I'm a Canadian, so my opinion is from an outsiders perspective.

I don't like Gore very much, he seems like a total phony to me. BUT, I don't see anything wrong with him wanting to wait until all the numbers are in before stepping aside. What concerns me is the Democrats repeated statements about them winning the popular vote, when the law states that that isn't relevant to the picking of the president. As it stands, there is a president in office while this goes on, so they're better to wait and be absolutely sure that the vote count is accurate, then the next president will be fairly chosen from the vote count in Florida.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

DLRInvasion
    either way 50% of the country is gonna be fuckin pissed.

------------------
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!

DIAMOND MAFIA

What Hath God Roth?
    it takes me least halfway through the label 'fore i can even make it through the night.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As another outsider I'd say this

1. The election is not over. Bush is leading by 325 or so votes. There are most likely more than that many absentee votes left to count. Whether they historically (which seems to be a popular word this week) go to the republicans is completely irrelevant. The fact that the recount is mandated by Florida law and is not being done at the behest of the Dems seems to have been lost in statements by various people (Jim Baker for example).

2. Bush is claiming victory and preparing a transition government. This makes him look arrogant and like he's trying to hurry up the process just in case.

3. If Gore loses the vote and goes to court then he's an idiot. The president isn't gonna have much of a mandate as it is - one who looks like a whiny loser is dead before his term starts. The courts won't change anything anyway. If he takes the high road and bows out gracefully leaving Bush to take the presidency with a minority of the popular vote and a tainted electoral victory then it puts him in a great position for 2004 (like Nixon in 60 and 68) if Bush gets nothing done.

4. Contradicting 3 everyone knows the popular vote isn't what counts. Gore and his camp should shut up about that, it makes them look like sore losers (again).

5. The rest of the world is laughing at the US right now.

6. Clinton in 2008

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

besides as I stated earlier in a different post:

Gore couldn't concede if he wanted to right now. Florida law is dictating this re-count. Check your facts.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jonathan:

If Gore loses the vote and goes to court then he's an idiot. The president isn't gonna have much of a mandate as it is - one who looks like a whiny loser is dead before his term starts. The courts won't change anything anyway. If he takes the high road and bows out gracefully leaving Bush to take the presidency with a minority of the popular vote and a tainted electoral victory then it puts him in a great position for 2004 (like Nixon in 60 and 68) if Bush gets nothing done.

I would agree with this, but given a Republican House and a Senate either Republican or split 50 - 50 (Go Cantwell!) with a Cheney tiebreaker, we might all be better off if Junior got NOTHING done

4. Contradicting 3 everyone knows the popular vote isn't what counts. Gore and his camp should shut up about that, it makes them look like sore losers (again).

5. The rest of the world is laughing at the US right now.

True... I'm sure the Russians think they're reading their local news.

6. Clinton in 2008

Hey, why not? After 8 years in the Senate, she'll be more qualified than Junior is now

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

[This message has been edited by FORD (edited November 10, 2000 at 08:34 PM).]

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I hate to keep doing this (Bullshit, I love doing this ), but I'm closing this.

There are already two other political threads.

------------------
    "Fuck you. I give you my ass." - Rick S' dog, as interpreted by track 5

Official Bartender Of VHForums