Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Digital Cameras

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

My mother-in-law gave me a Best Buy certificate for Christmas in case I wanted to get a digital camera, but after talking to the guy there, I'm not so sold on the idea anymore. Basically said they're good for pictures no more than 10 feet away where nothing's moving. I'm not a big people picture taker - I take more nature - mountains, cities, waterfalls, that kind of stuff. So what do y'all think - are they worth it or not? Not so sure how many people that have laid out $200 or more for one I'm gonna get to come on here and tell me that they aren't worth it, but still interested in your opinions (and maybe some photographic examples).

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Just got one after X-mas and before New Year's, so I cannot speak like a total professional. But, I am very happy with it [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] .

The picture quality is amazing.

There are many websites which give reviews and photo examples. Just use any search engine. Maybe checking some of these sites out for yourself will steer you in the direction you want to go.

I've seen many pictures of mountains, etc.. and the quality is great. [img]smile.gif[/img] You can take pictures from farther than 10 feet away!

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've got a Canon ZR-10 digital camcorder. the thing i noticed when shooting stills, is to stay away from too much digital zoom. the image could get "blocky" or pixellated. i find that as long as i stay within the 10X zoom, it's OK. if you get a digital cam that can use other lenses that may solve your problem, just put a better lens on the front end, like on a good 35mm cam.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Here's some shots I took at an airshow this summer. They'll give you a good feel for speed/distance pictures. I'm a lousy photographer, but you'll get the idea.

You're best off doing some reading and finding out which camera is for you. http://www.dcresource.com/ has some good stuff on it. It's the only digital camera site I remember, but I know there's plenty out there. Most have sample pictures. I picked up a Kodak DC290 last summer for a little over $300. They weren't making it anymore, but it had the features I most wanted.

I bought a Sony for use at work a few months ago. The documentation was flacky, and the software isn't the best I've seen. It's a pretty good camera, though. It's got a floppy drive to store pictures on besides a memory card, so it works well in a school where I don't want the software on every PC.

The coolest thing about a digital camera is being able to take a whole lotta pictures without thought of film or developing, and getting to see the results right away. I took over 300 photos at that airshow in 3 days, and didn't even use a whole set of batteries. Make sure you get a good set of rechargables.

Memory cards are dirt cheap right now. Most camera makers skimp on the memory card, which is really too bad. For the quailty of those airshow pictures I was able to fit well over 150 on a 64mb card. I picked up two of them for about $30 a piece last summer. I've seen 128mb cards for $50 lately, which would likely last a long vacation.

I've owned digital cameras for about 4-5 years now. The hardest thing about them is organizing and cataloging pictures. I used to just create my own directories, and they got scattered all over my computers. Thankfully, Apple came out with software called iPhoto a week ago. It's simplified everything.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by twonabomber:
    i've got a Canon ZR-10 digital camcorder. the thing i noticed when shooting stills, is to stay away from too much digital zoom. the image could get "blocky" or pixellated. .<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, digital zoom isn't so great. Too make consumer cameras have gone to all digital-zoom instead of optical. That's another thing to look at, Billy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

How's the ZR-10, twona? I've been really tempted to get a digital camcorder lately.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The deal with digital cameras is you have to lay down at least $500 to get good results. What you're paying for is MEGAPIXELS.

Regular film has upwards of 6mp, and today's top of the line cameras are up to 4.1mp. So eventually, technology will catch up with the quality of film. The problem is cost. That kind of technology is expensive!

I love my Cyber shot DSC-Ps70, for many reasons, but it will never take as good a pix as 35mm film. The convienence, however, are twice fold that of film. No developing costs, and its ready to go online with a simple USB hookup.

If you're the snapshot type of photog, then digital is as good as it gets, provided you pay for at least 2mp.

Besides, having a LCD display of your pix is a fucking blast at parties, especially with the ladies! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    RLRR LRLL

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MikeL:

How's the ZR-10, twona? I've been really tempted to get a digital camcorder lately.
    <hr></blockquote>

it's pretty sweet. got it about a year ago, i know Canon is up to ZR-20, 25, 30, etc. so you may be able to find one cheap (mine was $650 or so). the new ones have memory card capabilities for the still photos. i just pause mine, capture the image, and convert it to a JPEG in Adobe Photo, takes hardly any time at all. we've had the cam outside, inside, at the beach, pretty good video anywhere i use it. plus it has analog and S-video in and out, so i'm transferring a bunch of my old VHS stuff to digital, then dumping it on the computer to MPEG. had to get a Firewire card but the $ spent has been worth it so far. with a ZR series, a good video edit program, and the right CD burner utility (i'm using Nero), you can make video CD's that play in a DVD player. i'm catching up on some sweet old MTV stuff i taped back in the day, converting everything to digital and cataloging it is my winter project. if my computer rendered video faster i'd be done already.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm curious about the VCDs. How much video fits on one (time)? I've been sorely tempted to pick up a digital camcorder lately, but not having a DVD burner has held me back. I'd prefer to burn the video onto CD/DVD rather than try to keep a catalog of tapes.

How's the battery life on the ZR10?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

stock battery, an hour or so if you use the LCD screen, 2 hrs+ with the viewfinder. most of my use is with the AC adapter anyways, since it's Firewired to the computer most of the time. i'm just getting into the VCD thing, so i'm not completely up to speed yet. i've been over at www.vcdhelp.com a lot lately, they have tons of good info on capturing, editing, and burning. so far i'm just dumping MPEGs to rewritables, until i figure out where i'm going to go from there.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by MikeL:
    I'm curious about the VCDs. How much video fits on one (time)? I've been sorely tempted to pick up a digital camcorder lately, but not having a DVD burner has held me back. I'd prefer to burn the video onto CD/DVD rather than try to keep a catalog of tapes.

How's the battery life on the ZR10?
    OK. I've converted a lotta VHS tapes to VCD

A standard VCD will keep 74 minutes of video. sound is compressed as part of the mpg in mp2 format (44100Hz 224kbps). the trick with a standard VCD is the video bitrate is fixed at 1150kbps. If your source is clean (as it should be from a digital camcorder) you should achieve results somewhat better than a VHS tape - VHS has a resolution of approx 220x220 whereas a NTSC VCD is at 352x240. The biggest problem with VCDs is block noise causing large square to appear in hi-action areas, but this is largely a result of the source material once again in my experience

If this doesn't give you good results, the answer might be to encode as a S-VCD where the video bitrate can be varied (at the expense of playback time). Some dvd players support S-VCD format for playback, and nearly all can handle VCD

www.vcdhelp is an excellent site that might give you some good tips Mike [img]smile.gif[/img]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Thanks, twonabomber and Goo. I ordered a digital camcorder yesterday. I've got some more reading to do. [img]smile.gif[/img]