Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Is anyone else excited about this fight? It should be great! I am cheering for Roy, but I really don't know if he will be able to hurt Ruiz.

Ruiz gave Holyfield problems in the past because of his awkward style. He also has a huge size advantage on Roy. If Roy wins this fight, it will be the first time that a former Middleweight champ became a Heavyweight champ since 1897!

This should be a great fight! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Jones/Ruiz: Quest towards Immortality!

February 26, 2003

By Scott Foster

"What are they saying, "You don't want to fight nobody"...OK fine. We gonna fight the heavyweight champion of the world."

On Saturday undisputed light heavyweight champion and perennial "Pound for Pound" king Roy Jones Jr. (47-1 w/38 KO) hopes to re-write history when he dips his toes into the heavyweight pool for the very first time, attempting to wrest the WBA heavyweight title from the waist of John "The Quiet Man" Ruiz (38-4-1 w/27 KO). Caesars Palace plays host to what has been dubbed "A Hard Road to Glory," which takes place at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. It's the second installment of the Don King World Heavyweight Championship Series, with the telecast airing live at 9:00pm EST on HBO/PPV in conjunction with KingVision. If successful, Jones would become the first middleweight champion in the modern era to stake a claim to sports most coveted title, a feat accomplished by just one man, Hall-of-Fame inductee Bob Fitzsimmons, knocking out Gentleman Jim Corbett in 1897 to become the only middleweight titleist crowned "World Heavyweight Champion."

It has been suggested that much of Roy's desire to make the jump to heavyweight stems from a lack of competition within his own weight class...that he is, in effect, bored. The genesis, however, occurred nearly two decades ago, when Jones was just entering high school, barley old enough to obtain a drivers license.

"When I was 16 years old [weighing 135lbs.]...I could whip anybody. I fought Arthur Williams [former IBF crusierweight champion] one day, and caught him with a left hook and dropped him. I thought if I can drop him, I can drop anybody. Every boxer's dream is to become the heavyweight champion of the world. I didn't even think about it. It became a vision then, but I wasn't too sure if I would get that opportunity, or get that big...or would I be willing to take that kind of risk. I had the capability to make something like that happen."

This conviction would carry Roy through his bitter Olympic scandal, carefully guiding him to his dream of a middleweight world championship, a feat he would repeat less than 2 years later in his most defining bout, a thorough dismantling of the world's "Pound for Pound" best, James Toney (65-4-2 w/42 KO). It was then that the 28 year old Jones would recall his teen-age pledge, and as he marched through super middleweight on course to conquer the light heavyweight division, the light at the end of the tunnel remained a child-hood fantasy, borne from a champions determination and a young boy's dream --- "and new, heavyweight champion of the world."

"One day the heavyweights were sparring," Jones recalled, "they were kind of just going through the motions instead of going to work, and I feel like when your in the gym you need to go 120 percent or get out. I noticed they weren't giving it their all, so told coach Merk, "Give me my gloves," and I got up there and turned it into a big sparring session. So after that, any time they got up there and lolly-gagged, I got into the ring and tightened up their sparring session up a little bit. Cause when I get in there, stuff is gonna get thrown, and if you don't tighten up, you're gonna sit down. For me, it's just a matter of going to work... I love to work."

100 years of precedent has not seemed to sway the oddsmakers, installing Jones as a 2:1 favorite over the current heavyweight champion. This perception is fueled for the most part by Jones's inherent ability, generally thought to be the most gifted, talented fighter within the sport. "Pound for Pound" designations are not tossed idly about, they are cultivated and earned over a long, significant career; Jones's rightful place remains atop these lists. But the downgrading of Ruiz, a rightful champion himself, is more indicative of the reasons most offer when assuring a Jones victory. Many in the press have refused to acknowledge Ruiz as a champion at all, insisting he is a paper champion at best, a transitional beltholder ripe for the plucking.

"He's got the belt," Jones countered. "As far as I'm concerned, he's the heavyweight champion. Like I said when they took my belt --- and basically gave it to Montell Griffin --- he was the light-heavyweight champ for a minute. Although he quit, and won by disqualification...he's still the light-heavyweight champion. That belt that Bernard Hopkins wears...when I went to fight James Toney, he was still the middleweight champ, regardless of whether they stripped him or not. So when somebody gives up their title and you win it, you're the champ...it's that simple. You may not be the MAIN one, as far as fans go...but you're the heavyweight champ."

The fact that Jones is facing Ruiz rather than Lennox Lewis (40-2-1 w/31 KO) has led many to view this bout as a great little man V.S. an average big man, relegating Ruiz to a mere contender, with both the USA Today and Ring Magazine recently placing Ruiz near the bottom of their respective top 10 lists. Granted, the 19 second massacre at the hands of David Tua (42-3 w/27 KO) in 1994 should not be ignored, but the fact of the matter remains that Ruiz stands today as one of the recognized champions at heavyweight, and even the most dismissive pundit should rate him closer to the top 5.

This ranking should be based in large part on the Holyfield trilogy, effectively a 36 round draw, and to a lesser extent Ruiz's subsequent win over an undefeated Kirk Johnson (33-1-1 w/24 KO), a fighter many thought to be ranked on the cusp of the aforementioned top 5. Any attempts to dismiss the 36 rounds against an "over the hill" Evander Holyfield (38-6-2 w/25 KO), in which Ruiz unquestionably gave as good as he took, evaporated less than six months later when the same Holyfield would manhandle Hasim Rahman (35-4 w/29 KO) with ease, placing his bouts with Ruiz in their proper context.

"Holyfield is the toughest guy that I ever fought," Ruiz admitted. "Jones will be a little quicker than Holyfield, but he's not as strong as him. Holyfield has got a lot of tricks up his sleeve. So, it's not like Jones is going to come out with something new. Jones will be about 50% quicker than Holyfield. Holyfield is a quick guy and throws a lot of straight punches also. I've taken a lot of great punches from great heavyweights. Jones is going to realize that his flurries are not going to work in the heavyweight division, heavyweights take a lot of pounding...his flurries are going to feel like bee stings. He'll realize that and then I'll just run through him."

Regardless of how fit one deems Ruiz as a champion, the physical advantages he will carry onto the ring are substantial and border on the absurd. Anywhere from 30-40 pounds will separate the combatants, with Ruiz's heavyweight physique towering above Jones, standing nearly four inches taller with a six inch reach advantage. Ruiz's physicality will be enhanced by his willingness to engage in a rough fight, manhandling the smaller Jones every chance he will get. This was a bone of contention in the planning stages of the event, when Jones received reassurances that Ruiz would box and not wrestle, but as the fight draws near the thinking around Vegas hints towards Ruiz utilizing every possible advantage to slow down the quicker, more elusive champion.

"I hope the referee does handle him," Jones dead-panned, "because a riot will break out if he starts throwing me down and stuff. I will have people there ringside who truly care for my well being, and are already aware that I am out there putting my life at risk...fighting a guy who weighs allot more than I do, so they are not going to sit there and watch me be illegitimately handled. I did talk to them in the beginning and said look, if we are going to fight, let's just keep it clean and fight. If you beat me, or I beat you...let's keep it clean. I don't know, I know people will have that feeling...they won't mind if you knock me out, if you can knock me out, you can. But we will have a problem if you go out and mishandle me...that's not how it's supposed to go. That was not our agreement."

The Jones gameplan is sure to include fluid movement and combination punching, but many times in the past Roy has chosen to rest on the ropes, allowing opponents to exploit his body while he looks to lash out with his lighting quick left hook. Few in the sport can allow such strategic lapses on the championship level, but Jones's uncanny defensive skills and instinctive counterpunching ability almost seem to draw him towards the ropes, offering up the artist a platform from which to perform. Ruiz is aware of Jones's tendency to position himself on the ropes, and the heavyweight champion intends to invest much of his time digging underneath, breaking down the smaller fighter with higher percentage body blows.

"My main thing is to work the body," Ruiz said. "I don't want to go out there head hunting and be missing all over the place. He'll be moving around a lot. When you go to the body, the head will fall...he's always dropping his hands. I think the body work is going to pay off. If I can't get to the body in the early rounds, then it will definitely go to a decision. If I can get to his body and do all the things I intend to do, then there could actually be a knockout. I have to work my way in and use my jab. If I'm in there and doing my job, then the fight could end early."

Jones has admitted that doubts have entered his camp for the first time against Ruiz, with those close to him showing respect for the heavyweight champions size and skills. Jones, however, remains steadfast in his belief that this is a hurdle he is capable of making...history is within his grasp, it is his fight to win or lose. Rather than buckle under the pressure of facing the largest, most dangerous opponent of his career, Jones has instead begun to thrive off the skepticism, feeding off the lingering doubts.

"[There has been] a lot of doubt," Jones admitted. "That is what helped prepare myself mentally --- because of all the doubt. That's what made [this camp] easier than is typical."

Jones has spoken openly regarding the dangers a middleweight faces stepping into the ring with a heavyweight, and these concerns are legitimate and warranted considering both fighters have campaigned this past decade as champions separated by nearly 50 pounds and three weight classes. Recent mismatches in weight and size have not gone the way of the smaller fighter, with Chris Byrd losing decisively to the much larger Ibeabucci and Klitschko, and in the lighter weights, as evidenced when a lightweight Joey Gamache would enter retirement via the four minute pummeling he sustained from a beefed up, middleweight sized Arturo Gatti. The threat is there for Jones, possibly for the first time in his career, and yet the general consensus remains --- the coronation is thought to be a mere formality.

"Yea, I'm disappointed by [the media], because they don't tell the truth...they try to lessen what it is your doing, lessen the risk so it doesn't look like what your doing is so spectacular. But you can't worry about that...you have to remember that your life is in God's hands. Thank god it's in his hands and not theirs, because they project, "oh, that's no problem...it's 25, 30, 35 pounds. That's nothing." Well, they know better...I just gotta do what I gotta do."

Beyond the physical advantages that Ruiz will carry into the ring, "The Quiet Man's" herky-jerky style could pose early problems for Jones, as the champion's bobbing up and down inserts consistent head movement into his awkward, straightforward approach...many opponents of Ruiz have found the target not as inviting as they had initially hoped. Add to that one of the better jabs in the division, a punch that is as accurate as it is powerful, coupled by an all-consuming desire fueling Ruiz...his pride in becoming the 1st Latino heavyweight champion in the history of the sport. Ruiz should also be well served by his recent string of activity, having fought 46 rounds in the past two years against a pair of fighters with arguably the quickest hands and feet in the division (excluding a certain southpaw champion): Evander Holyfield and Kirk Johnson.

It should also be pointed out that Ruiz has been viewed in the past as an average sized heavyweight, and with Jones promising to come in right at 185lbs, Roy may only be giving up 30 pounds to win a title in a division that he had thought might involve weight discrepancies in the range of 35-50 pounds. But the fact that Ruiz will not lumber around the ring at 230lbs+ may end up hampering the light heavyweight's chances, as a slicker, more agile Ruiz is expected to have improved his lateral movement by shedding a few pounds, effectively cutting off the ring in a three month camp bent upon trapping sparring partners in corners.

"I would like to bring up the jab a bit," Ruiz promised. "That would work to my advantage...it's something we're working hard on. They say he is really fast; he's not that fast. We have to put him in that position and see what he is capable of...will he fight, or fold like a piece of paper. I don't know what he's thinking. If he does loose, he's got this or that option on what to say. It all comes down to my experience."

Jones has been harshly criticized in the past for hand-picking opponents, many of whom have been #1 mandatory challengers, albeit their comparably limited skills. That he has not dismissed many of these mandatories, effectively abandoning unification in an effort to face more creditable opponents, has become Jones's scarlet letter, and some have gone so far as to label him a coward, a title no fighter who steps between the ropes should become saddled with. This issue should be respectively put to rest the moment the first bell rings on March 1st --- no middleweight should ever feel that he had to face a man 30 lbs. larger just to prove a point, but the point will be well taken. The possibility of injury and threat that Ruiz poses will unquestionably dwarf any of the fear's associated with Michalczewski, Jirov, or Tarver (and to a lesser extent Nunn, Eubank and Benn).

"The issue [of fear] has been addressed by fighting a damn heavyweight," Jones said adamantly. "I don't know what I have to do to address the issue. What are they saying, "You don't want to fight nobody"...OK fine. We gonna fight the heavyweight champion of the world."

It has become a widely held belief that not only does Jones not wish to absorb any punishment inside the ring (as is the case with most fighters not burdened with the surname Gatti), but he is equally hesitant to inflict any undue damage as well. Rumors of Jones holding back, in effect carrying lesser-equipped opponents, were confirmed recently when Roy admitted as much, insisting that an opponent's safety is as large a concern as is his own well being.

"When I started, I knocked out about seventeen of 'em in a row," Jones recalled. "But I hurt people. That's not that good a way to be. I could [mess] somebody up...I'm that strong. If I started showing people how mean I really am, somebody could wind up dead. If I fought like I was looking for a place in history, it would ruin me as a person...I don't think history is worth selling my soul. God wouldn't want me to be the type of rooster that kills another rooster. So I'm gonna chill and stay the nice guy that I am. For me, I more so didn't want to do it to somebody, rather than somebody do it to me. For this guy, I know I probably wouldn't be able to do it to him...but he can do it to me."

Even the harshest Ruiz critic would have to admit that in what appears to be a draining, 12 round fight, there should come a time when Jones will be forced out of his boxing, if only to rest and catch his breath. These will be the telling moments, where size and strength will dictate more than speed and mobility. Others feel these moments will come earlier in the bout, with a resolute Jones intent on standing up to the heavyweight champion, effectively inserting his championship mentality on the bigger man.

"Why am I gonna be doing all that running," Jones asked. "I'm trying to become heavyweight champion of the world."

It is this willingness to place himself in harms way against Ruiz, something that Jones must view at times as a faded memory, which may serve to derail his ride to the heavyweight title. Light heavyweight champion Billy Conn boxed circles around the most feared puncher in the sport before settling down late in the 12th, his confidence overflowing after staggering "The Brown Bomber" with several classic left hooks. But the hooks are not what we remember from Louis/Conn...it is Conn, less than three minutes later, left in heap. Other light heavyweights champions would make the jump, Bob Foster and Archie Moore, both Hall-of-Fame legends who were also unable to impose their wills on much larger, physically stronger heavyweight champions. Michael Spinks and Michael Moorer remain the only victors at light heavyweight. Spinks gave up a similar amount of weight while boxing his way to victory in back-to back wins over Larry Holmes. Those close to Jones hope that it is Spink's gameplan which will be showcased against Ruiz, fearing a Conn like ending if Roy were to attempt to prove a point to his critics by engaging in a kill or be killed finale.

"I feel the metamorphosis coming on,'' Jones admitted, with fight night just days away. "I feel the change. You start to realize every day that it's getting closer...some military guys feel the same way when they go to war. Your life is on the line. You might have to kill...you might be killed. Not a whole lot matters to you no more. That's very cold-blooded, but look at what [they] are asking me to do --- "Go and fight a 230-pound man" --- that's pretty cold-blooded, but I've got to go do it, man. I've got to learn to curb my appetite [for fighting] but I don't know how. The deadlier the risk, the quicker I take it. What I live for is the possibility of losing...you know how badly I've been longing for this?''

[ February 28, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: YankeeRose ]

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty excited, I'm gonna probably go over to a friend of mine's place to watch it. I think it will come down to RJJ's chin. The first time he feels that power it could be too much for him. It should be interesting. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    <a href="http://www.vhvault.com/~rebel" target="_blank">The Coolest VH Trade Site on the Net!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Here is what Roy Jones has to say:

The big question, can I beat a heavyweight? Come on, this is Roy Jones, Jr. you're talking about. I ain't crazy but I love to fight. Yes, this is different. I haven't been in the ring with a heavyweight before. Everyone wants to do what hasn't been done, that's why I'm doing this. I don't know exactly how I'm going to win, but I'm going to win. When he hits the canvas and the referee counts 10... I will have said all I need to say. It took 100 years for a dude as bad as me to be born. That says something right there.

What's the Champ saying...

Speed...that's all Roy Jones, Jr. has. Roy's going to be quick, but I don't think he's going to be quick enough. I'm going to be very aggressive with him. I will break Roy down because I am the bigger man...and the smaller man never beats the bigger man. I am the first Hispanic Heavyweight World Champion in history, and I will keep my crown.

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Originally posted by rebel78:
    I'm pretty excited, I'm gonna probably go over to a friend of mine's place to watch it. I think it will come down to RJJ's chin. The first time he feels that power it could be too much for him. It should be interesting. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    You think that Roy might get knocked out?!

That would be wild, I saw him get dropped once. I am expecting Roy to win, he has too much skill for Ruiz imo.

-- John Entwistle

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roy won, undisputed.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

yeah they said it wasn't even close huh?

i wanna see jones fight tyson

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

It wasn't even close! When the fight started it was close, but then Roy just dominated him, just like he dominates everyone! He didn't come close to knocking out Ruiz though.

I want to see Roy beat the living hell out of Lennox Lewis! [img]smile.gif[/img] George Foreman thinks he can do it, so do I.

I don't know if Roy would fight someone that big though. He said that if he gets paid a lot of money, he might stay in the heavyweight division longer though.

-- John Entwistle

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Originally posted by YankeeRose:
    It wasn't even close! When the fight started it was close, but then Roy just dominated him, just like he dominates everyone! He didn't come close to knocking out Ruiz though.

I want to see Roy beat the living hell out of Lennox Lewis! [img]smile.gif[/img] George Foreman thinks he can do it, so do I.

I don't know if Roy would fight someone that big though. He said that if he gets paid a lot of money, he might stay in the heavyweight division longer though.
    lennox would kill him..imo

JMJ

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jones impressed me, I have to admit. I don't think a Jones-Lewis fight will happen. Lewis has a lot of boxing skills that Ruiz doesn't, plus the reach advantage would be ridiculous.

I agree that a Jones-Tyson fight would be awesome. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    <a href="http://www.vhvault.com/~rebel" target="_blank">The Coolest VH Trade Site on the Net!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Originally posted by JMJ:

JMJ [/QB]
    No Lewis would get his ass kicked by Roy Jones! I am 100% sure of that!

[ March 01, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: YankeeRose ]

-- John Entwistle

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I would eat my pants if Jones ever beat Lewis!

Let's not get carried away here, Ruiz is a good fighter (current top 10 heavyweight, but only a paper champ at best), he just got outclassed by a superior athlete.

Lewis's right hand would eventually land on Jones, Jones would likely think he was run over by a Mack Truck, and then fall asleep. Jones is an amazing athlete and one of the best all time fighters, BUT HE CANT BEAT A TOP 10 (ALL TIME!) HEAVYWEIGHT THAT'S 6'4" AND WEIGHS 240lbs!! It's just not going to happen.

I would like to see the fight just to watch Roy Jones Jr. get knocked out though, that would be cool.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 16,533 Times in 9,370 Posts

Yankee Rose,

Let me guess why you hate Lennox Lewis so much. Is it because he used to fight as a "Canadian" and now he fights as an "Englishman"? Kind of like the tennis player, Greg Rusedski?

As much as I love Roy Jones and would love to see him beat Lewis, I don't think he would have a prayer. Lewis is too tall, too long and too strong. He's also a very good boxer. He's in a whole different class than John Ruiz.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Originally posted by I Coulda Hada VH:
    Yankee Rose,

Let me guess why you hate Lennox Lewis so much. Is it because he used to fight as a "Canadian" and now he fights as an "Englishman"? Kind of like the tennis player, Greg Rusedski?

As much as I love Roy Jones and would love to see him beat Lewis, I don't think he would have a prayer. Lewis is too tall, too long and too strong. He's also a very good boxer. He's in a whole different class than John Ruiz.
    Yeah that definately has something to do with it I also hate the way Lewis fights, he's so boring to watch. He rarely uses combinations. He sucks. He is able to win fights because he always has a huge reach advantage. I also can't stand his personality, he always insults his opponents before and after fights. He also makes me sick when he ducks no #1 challengers like Chris Byrd. And he is now ducking both Klitchsko brothers. He is not a true champion!

-- John Entwistle

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Originally posted by YankeeRose:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JMJ:

JMJ
    No Lewis would get his ass kicked by Roy Jones! I am 100% sure of that! [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]u've got to be shitting me. if that fight ever happens, we have to make a bet. he'll need a ladder for one just to hit lennox. much as i don't like lennox, he'll knock the shit outta jones...so would tyson.

JMJ

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10