Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I figured I’d start one thread where everyone can post interesting pro wrestling news, rumors and opinions. With the quality of WWF/WWE programming being what it has been over the past few months (i.e. weak), this thread may die a quick death. Nonetheless, here’s the latest big announcement in the world of pro wrestling:

Diamond Dallas Page announces retirement!

http://www.ddpbang.com/news/index.html

STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
    By Diamond Dallas Page
    Updated: 6/12/02

Yo Cutters. What’s up?
    As one door closes, another will open. Unfortunately, some of the rumors are true. I have retired from the squared circle, but I have not retired from the WWE. Most of you have read about my injury, which entails my neck (not my back as some reported). My C3 and C4 vertebrae in my neck fused together on their own. I have nerve damage on my right bicep and into my hand, which makes my hand to go numb for periods longer than I care to remember. My C5, C6, and C7 vertebrae qualify to be surgically fused right now. Basically, one doctor said I could return to the ring if I was constantly monitored, but I qualified for the surgery. Another doctor said I should not return to the ring without the surgery. Yet another doctor said, “You’ve had a hell of a run. Now get the hell out of there.” The plain fact of the matter is that if I took one shot the wrong way, I was faced with becoming a quadriplegic for the rest of my life. Knowing all this, I was still rehabbing around the possibility that I would return to the ring.

It was Vince McMahon and J.R. who made the final call that it would be too dangerous for me to return to the ring. I met with J.R. on Tuesday to discuss the situation. If I did have the operation, it would take about a year to rehab. I’d be coming back in my late 40s (47+) only to do more damage to my body. What kind of condition would I be in when I hit my 50s or 60s? I know they are right and I appreciate them thinking of my health in this situation.

I was thinking of talking J.R. into letting me continue until I heard from my attorney who told me that if I got back into the ring my insurance policy holder (Lloyd’s Of London) would terminate my policy. That was the wake-up call. I owe it to my family now to get out of the ring, but it is going to bum me out for awhile now that I know I had finally turned a corner in the WWE and was back on the way to being the Diamond Dallas Page that made people feel the BANG!

What will I do now? J.R. told me that I am part of the WWF family and that there were several places where my services would be needed. I thanked J.R. and let him know that I really needed to step back from the business for a little while. I don’t know how long it will be, but it is going to take a little time. In the meantime, I will do what I have always done and be a positive role for this company. I will speak with the Get Real program (a program that I truly believe in), attend fan functions, and appear at ticket on-sale events. This is just to keep me as part of the WWE family. Like I said, as one door closes, another one will open. My main focus at this point is to become the best motivational speaker I can be.

I want to thank all of my friends and fans who have hung in there with my character as it has run the gauntlet. My favorite time will always be when people called me the “People’s Champion”. That rang true because it was the support of the people that gave me the opportunity to enjoy a ride I never thought was possible. I believed that one day I would be a top guy, but I never thought I would wrestle with Karl Malone or be on the Tonight Show or be in movies…and I sure as hell never thought I would ever be a three-time World Champion…but I dreamt about it. Your support helped my dreams come true and I have never forgotten that, nor will I ever forget it. Just remember… you may have loved me, you may have hated me, but I will never forget you.

It’s been MY pleasure…

Page

P.S. – It ain’t over. You’ll be hearing from me…and that’s a good thing.

I always liked DDP. It’s a damn shame the WWF/WWE didn’t use him properly after Vince McMahon purchased WCW. The death knell for his WWF/WWE career was putting him in an angle against that no-selling, dinosaur The Undertaker when he first arrived in the WWF/WWE. I would’ve loved to see DDP elevated to main event status and work matches against “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, The Rock, HHH, etc. before his forced retirement. He was one of the best workers in the business the past 5-6 years. Plus, he has one of the most attractive wives inside or outside the business. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] IMO, he’ll be missed.

[ June 13, 2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Delighted Romeo ]
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.wwe.com/news/headlines/1146818

Stone Cold Steve Austin walks

On March 18, 2002, the day after WrestleMania, without company approval and without notice, Stone Cold Steve Austin walked off the job and failed to appear at WWE’s Raw show in Montreal. Stone Cold Steve Austin was advised by WWE management that this was unprofessional and unacceptable. After a two week hiatus, Austin returned to work.

On Monday, June 10, 2002, Stone Cold Steve Austin again failed to appear for the scheduled Raw event in Atlanta, instead choosing to return home to San Antonio without notice and without company approval.

Although Steve was unhappy with his character’s creative direction, Steve made the personal and unprofessional decision not to report to work to address his concerns.

Therefore, Stone Cold Steve Austin is no longer an active member of WWE’s talent roster.

When I first heard this story, I thought it was a work. But now it's been posted on the official WWE Web site. In addition, according to a couple of other wrestling Web sites, this appears to be the real thing. Now, whether it's just a temporary problem or becomes a long-term problem, who knows, but I would have to guess that Austin and the WWE would work this out. Nonetheless, some online sites are saying that the WWE is so pissed at Austin that he may have wrestled his last match for the WWE. WTF?!? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] I'm no big fan of Austin, as I was sick of his gimmick a long time ago, but to lose Austin would be devastating to the WWE.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

DDP did have a nice run for awhile, especially in WCW. This guy was a manager-turned wrestler who earned everything he got. Of course, we can't fail to mention his hot wife. Anyway, he will be missed in the squared-circle.

As for Austin, that would be a big blow to the company. Since they decided to do this brand split, the programming has been just terrible. Some of the B-rated wrestlers are getting way to much air time. Is anybody else sick of Billy Kidman, Tijiri and the Hurricane???
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.21.13 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Delighted Romeo:
    http://www.wwe.com/news/headlines/1146818

Stone Cold Steve Austin walks

What?

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.21.13 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Raldo:

As for Austin, that would be a big blow to the company. Since they decided to do this brand split, the programming has been just terrible. Some of the B-rated wrestlers are getting way to much air time. Is anybody else sick of Billy Kidman, Tijiri and the Hurricane???
    Never liked DDP...

RVD/Eddie G ladder match on RAW is match of the year so far IMO. Is HBK gonna wrestle?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I am confused here, what is the WW E ????

Can you tell I don't watch much Wrestling?
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I heard it is fake [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DDP did have a nice run for awhile, especially in WCW. This guy was a manager-turned wrestler who earned everything he got. Of course, we can't fail to mention his hot wife. Anyway, he will be missed in the squared-circle.
    Raldo, you are right on with the "earned everything he got" statement. He ended up creating a gimmick that got him over with the fans, both as a face and heel, and was able to win the U.S. and World straps as a singles wrestler, as well as the tag team straps, in WCW. Unfortunately, the WWE writers – supervised by Stephanie McMahon [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] -- never saw how good a worker and character this guy was, and never elevated him past mid-card status.

I think DDP’s best role, however, was as the nWo whipping boy during the 1997 Sting vs. the nWo angle. Man, every week he was getting beat down by the nWo back then, as Sting would swoop in from the rafters and clear the ring. IMO, that's when WCW was at its peak creatively and ratings-wise as an organization. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Despite a gimmick that now grates on me, Austin is still probably the most popular wrestler in WWE. Losing him now may cause some serious repercussions for the already weakening quality of WWE programming, attendance at live events and performance of WWE stock – especially with The Rock having turned into a part-time wrestler (with a permanent departure probably right around the corner so he can focus on making films). But what else is Austin going to do, if he's not wrestling for the WWE? Wrestle for the WWA, NWA-TNA, or some other fly-by-night unprofitable organization without a TV deal? Vince McMahon pretty much has a monopoly so the options are few and far between for wrestlers that want to perform on TV and PPVs.

It's funny how you mentioned Kidman, Tajiri and the Hurricane, as these are supposed to be the guys that are spurring the WWE's cruiserweight division. Maybe it will be better when Rey Mysterio shows up, which he is rumored to be doing at any time. Maybe I was a WCW mark but the WWE should examine the success of WCW's cruiserweight division a few years ago and try to replicate it. Those cruiserweight matches used to get Nitro off to a hot start every Monday night. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ June 14, 2002, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Delighted Romeo ]

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BrokenCombs:
    OK, I am confused here, what is the WW E ????

Can you tell I don't watch much Wrestling?
    The WWE is the new name for the WWF. The World Wrestling Federation recently lost a lawsuit with the World Wildlife Fund over the "WWF" acronym so they had to change their name. Thus, they changed it to World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I really used to like wrestling back in the day of Jerry "THe King" Lawler and Kimala the Ugandan Giant etc.. good times back then. Now all I read about it is things like this from espnmag.com

June 6, 2002
    Canaries in the coal mine
    by Shaun Assael
    ESPN The Magazine

While Ken Caminiti was making headlines for admitting that he used steroids to become an MVP, you could barely find a mention of the death of 39-year-old Davey Boy Smith.

Davey Boy Smith
    Smith, a former Intercontinental champion for the old WWF, rose to fame by draping himself in the Union Jack and wrestling as the super-buff British Bulldog. He also was part of the first and most dysfunctional family of Canadian wrestling -- the Harts. Last year, his ex-wife Diana published a tell-all book in which she accused him of "doping my juice" and raping her while she was unconscious. Needless to say, they divorced and Davey took up with the estranged wife of Diana's brother. Late on the evening of May 17, Smith died of a heart attack while beside her in bed; the medical examiner suggested that prolonged steroid use was to blame.

Maybe I shouldn't be amazed that his death barely registered in the U.S. (It was much bigger news in Canada and England.) After all, Smith was central casting's version of the drug-addled, sex-freak wrestler that everyone rubber-necked around, waiting to watch die. Three of his running buddies -- Brian Pillman, Rick Rude and Louie Spicolli -- all expired before they passed 40.

Ask most reporters if their definition of "news" includes the early death of a wrestler like Davey Boy and they'll roll their eyes, as if to say, "Call Howard Stern." But the truth is that Smith's death has just as much bearing on baseball as Caminiti's mea culpa. Why? Because wrestlers are the canaries of the steroid-soaked coal mine.

Long before Slugger Zero got his first homer from a Dianabol pill, wrestlers were mixing meds like amateur chemists. Superstar Billy Graham used to enthuse to anyone who asked him, "Just lay in bed and you'll feel yourself grow."

Graham turns 59 on Friday. And he's been spending a lot of time in bed lately. The man who had The Body way before Jesse Ventura is on his sixth hip. His immune system is shot from all the infections that are feasting on one another. He has virtually no movement in the ankles. He's lost four inches from his 6'4" frame because of a collapsing lower spine. And his liver, ravaged by hepatitis C, is leaking like a sieve.

Superstar didn't want to talk about Caminiti this week. "He wants to leave that part of his life behind," says the wrestling columnist Mike Mooneyham, who spoke with him Wednesday to deliver the news that he'd found a liver donor.

Unfortunately, Mooneyham's good news didn't last long. The Mayo Clinic of Scottsdale, where Graham is being treated, doesn't accept partial liver transplants from untested "good samaritans" like the one Mooneyham found. Graham could move to a clinic that does, but doesn't have the money or strength to make the trip. So he's stuck waiting for a Mayo-approved liver, his voice too hoarse from harsh medicine to complain in more than a whisper. If it were stronger, though, he'd sill decline to talk about Caminiti. His doctors give him three years to live without a new liver -- too little future to spend living in the past.

In a curious way, Superstar was one of the lucky ones. When he started dropping his drawers for needles, the drugs were still relatively simple. But the generation of athletes that started experimenting with more potent cocktails has paid a more lethal price. As their muscle mass got too big for their frames and they started getting the typical steroid-related injuries -- pulled hamstrings, strained muscles, ruptured tendons -- they upped the number of pain pills they downed. Two days before Davey Boy's death, another wrestler, 350-pound Alex "Big Dick Dudley" Rizzo, founder of The Dudley Boys, expired of kidney failure at the age of 37. The medical examiner blamed pain-killers. As with Smith, Rizzo's death pretty much went unnoticed.

The conventional argument is that you can't compare wrestlers and "real" athletes. Plenty of major league baseball players think they can juice themselves safely. Dr. Jose Antonio, an exercise physiologist, told The Magazine's Jeff Bradley he could put "any athlete on a cycle of anabolic steroids … and his perfomances would go up, with no side effects. I guarantee it. Your players are not tested, you know anabolic steroids aid performance, so why not use them?"

But ballplayers who put on circus-like muscles are just kidding themselves if they think they're not in danger. A study recently published in the International Journal of Sports Medicine found that 62 Finnish power-lifters suspected of using steroids died at a rate five times higher than average. As Bryan Alvarez points out in the new issue of his Figure 4 wrestling newsletter: "The causes of death were strikingly similar [to wrestling deaths]: Three committed suicide, three had heart attacks, one passed away after falling into a coma (likely drug-related) and one died of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma."

Baseball hasn't had a record like that yet. But it's still early in the game. Which brings us to another bit of symmetry.

Vince McMahon routinely gets hammered for allowing steroid abuse to run rampant in his company. But I really don't believe that he's ever forced anyone to "go on the gas." What I do believe is that he's dangled buckets of money in front of those that do. And so has baseball. Caminiti neatly summed up the rules of steroid engagement in mainstream sports when he told SI: "If a young player were to ask me what to do, I'm not going to tell him it's bad. Look at all the money in the game: You have a chance to set your family up, to get your daughter into a better school. So I can't say, 'Don't do it,' not when the guy next to you is as big as a house and he's going to take your job and make the money."

It's easy to dismiss wrestling as a make-believe freak show. But when it comes to steroids, it's the one place we can see the future clearly. Athletes who started to juice heavily in the '80s and '90s are starting to die in their late thirties and forties. They're the canaries in the coal mine. Will baseball heed the warning?
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Delighted Romeo:
    to lose Austin would be devastating to the WWE.
    How? They'd lose a worker that is advanced in age, battered, and refuses to put anyone else over.

In his place they have such new workers like Edge, Rob Van Dam, and a newly face Booker T that, I promise you, will light things up and be the biggest thing since the Rock.

Losing Austin would lose the hardcore redneck fanbase that still loves to see him stun everyone without a reason and yell what after every comment. Face it, Austin's ring persona is a played out ass. He's on his way out and refuses to accept it.

And that's the bottom line, 'cause Vince McMahon said so.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Since they decided to do this brand split, the programming has been just terrible.
    Correction: The brand split had nothing to do with the quality of product. The problem was, up until a couple weeks ago, Stephanie McMahon was in charge of all the angles and booking. History has proven that one show was too much for her, and two shows just became rediculous. She has since been replaced by two different writers (Paul Heyman is doing Smackdown, I can't recall the guy who is doing Raw just this minute). Monday's Raw stands as an exception to the rule because crybaby Austin's walking out caused them to have to rewrite the entire show with only two hours to do it in.

Some of the B-rated wrestlers are getting way to much air time. Is anybody else sick of Billy Kidman, Tijiri and the Hurricane???
    Obviously you are a fan of promos and punch/kick/punch "wrestling" if you are sick of these guys. Right now Kurt Angle, Edge, RVD, Eddie G, and the cruiserweights are all the WWE has going for them. The three people you mentioned are some of the best in the WWE as far as workrate goes, and it's about damn time Vince let them get some airtime. If he'd stop worrying about their matches upstaging the main event you'd see these people really FLY! The Filthy Animals (Kidman and Mysterio) had some wicked matches in WCW with the likes of Juvi, Blitzkrieg, Elix Skipper, Christopher Daniels, and Kid Romeo. In the end of WCW's days the only thing worth watching was the cruiserweight matches.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the article, chewbaccamonkeylunch, though it was pretty depressing.

I completely understand your critique of today’s wrestling world, but these problems began when you were watching Lawler and Kamala (with his manager/handler Kimchee) in the 1970s and ‘80s. As the author of the article wrote, “Athletes who started to juice heavily in the '80s and '90s are starting to die in their late thirties and forties.” For example, Superstar Billy Graham’s heyday was in the ‘70s though he tried to make a comeback in the early ‘80s, while guys like Hulk Hogan have admitted to taking steroids in the ‘70s and ‘80s. I would even guess that Hogan’s rash of ankle and knee injuries (ex. pulled hamstrings, strained muscles, etc.) the past few years were probably due as much to his previous steroid use as they were to his advancing age.

The wrestlers are ultimately to blame for the decisions they made/make to take steroids, painkillers, etc., which is why guys like Brian Pillman, Rick Rude, Louie Spicolli, Davey Boy Smith, etc. died at such young ages and Graham is nearing his demise despite only being 59 years old. IMO, another culprit is the additional pressure wrestlers receive from promoters like McMahon to perform, as well as the personal financial gains at stake, which results in them throwing caution to the wind and taking in-ring risks to enhance their standing in the industry. For example, look at the death of Owen Hart, along with the broken necks suffered by Buff Bagwell and Darren "Droz" Drozdov. Bagwell recovered but Drozdov was paralyzed from the waist down after an in-ring miscue a couple of years ago by wrestler D'Lo Brown. How about the legendary Von Erich family, which saw three family members commit suicide and one die from a drug overdose – all of whom were professional wrestlers? Some of that HAD to be related to the pressures of the wrestling world and the pressures of being a Von Erich, which required them to perform at a high level each and every night. Of course, making things even worse is that the long-time problem of steroids, pain-killers, etc. in wrestling appears to have spread to “America’s Pastime” (and perhaps other sports).

I still enjoy watching pro wrestling as a form of escapism and I won’t apologize for that, but there’s no doubt that the best interest of its performers are not always taken into consideration nor have they for the past couple of decades.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Hey, I found another article that doesn't sound TOO bad. A follow up from the same author at espnmag.com pretty good read. Maybe things are coming along a little better in this regard. I can not belive the Von Erichs. I remember that family from way back. Sad story [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] and they were good folks too. Good post DR!
    Here it be 'yall

June 12, 2002
    Grappling with steroids
    by Shaun Assael
    ESPN The Magazine

My e-mail inbox went scrolling like a slot machine last week when I suggested that steroid-taking baseball players could learn a few things from pro wrestling, where the stars die young. Many of you argued that blaming steroids for the recent death of 39-year-old Davey Boy Smith was like blaming a Pinto for causing a drunk driving fatality -- it may have been a factor, but it wasn't the most direct one.

A small number of the e-mails shared the tone of the one written by Steve Sturgill, who opened with: "Cripes, not another whiney-ass, ectomorphic, mentally-deficient, pencil-necked bleep churning out more rubbish. Either join a local gym, discover how grueling training really is, and make a MAN out of yourself, or go home and cry to your mommy because your boyfriend broke up with you." Wow, Steve. Good thing there really isn't such a thing as 'roid rage.

Can they be used safely?
    The majority, however, were well-reasoned enough to make me wonder if I'd done enough homework.

Phil Hopkins Jr., a pharmacy school student, mused: "It is true that the wrestlers who died used testosterone. But did they use it responsibly? And what else did they use along with it? Did they also take, say, a large amount of pain killers, like Lortab, which incidentally poses a far greater threat to your kidneys from long-term use due to 500-650 mg of Tylenol per pill?"

Tony, an English engineer living in Taiwan, pointed out that wrestlers like Smith "are developing symptoms from [drugs] that no longer exist. Modern sportsmen have access to knowledgeable physicians, second-generation steroids and other anabolic drugs, medication to control side effects and more advanced monitoring technology. As long as they avail themselves of these things" steroids will be perfectly safe.

Still, I have trouble getting my brain around the concept of "safe" steroids. The specter of swollen heads and shriveled nuts has kept armies of guys from going to the needle. What happens if their sense of foreboding gets taken away? Tony came to the same conclusion I did. "The lure of money will usually override common sense," he wrote.

No sooner had I read that than an email popped into my inbox from Mauro Di Pasquale. I'd tried to find Di Pasquale last week, without success. Vince McMahon used him to clean up the WWF in the early '90s. Occasionally called "The Steroid Hunter," he created what McMahon later called an Olympic-quality testing program and ran it until he left the company in 1997.

Di Pasquale was angry with me for using the example of Davey Boy to damn all steroid use. "What trash," he started. "I knew Davey Boy Smith and he led a ridiculously hectic lifestyle in which he ate poorly (fast foods, restaurants, and junk food) most of the time. Never mind that genetically some of these guys are doomed to die young. Steroids can have serious adverse effects, [but they tend to affect] those who are predisposed genetically."

Di Pasquale wanted me to check out his web site at MetabolicDiet.com, to see where his research on "natural alternatives" has led him. And he wasn't the only one pushing his research. Dr. W. Letchamo of Rutgers University wrote "your article looks biased" in the subject line of his email. Then he had the gall to ask me to help "make arrangements" with readers who might want the "natural sports supplements" he had developed after travelling through Ethiopia. He wrote on a Rutgers email account, making me wonder if the school knows how he's using its facilities.

Robert Draper, a 30-year-old systems analyst from San Diego, asked for help deciding which guru to believe. "I've recently started working out at the gym everyday and see these guys walking around with the look I want BAD. Today I came across [a web site] that has me believing I can do this safely with no problems. I'm so close to doing it. I tell myself, 'Hell I'm no Ken Caminiti, No Hulk Hogan.' I just want one or two cycles and I'll be okay. Can you shed any light on this guy's claims?"

I looked at the site. "The real truth is that the pros being used to promote supplement companies products today are insane juicers," wrote its author, who said he was a contributor to an "underground" magazine called The Anabolic Insider. "Sane use is a few hundred milligrams of Deca a week, a touch of Anavar, maybe a cc or two of "test" every 10-14 days. Insane steroid use is a few thousand milligrams of Deca a day, a ton of Anavar, and 10 cc's of 'test' a day. Yes, a DAY!"

I clicked off, feeling overwhelmed but a little bit curious at the same time.

Jeff Wilmoth, an Ohio technology analyst, seemed especially eager to convince me that the people who do this stuff aren't creepy.

"Not every user is the huge acne infested freak at your local gym," he said. "You'd be surprised at who your average steroid user is. He's that guy next door who has a wife, a few kids, and is taking medication to take his body beyond his genetic limitations. I'm ashamed to live in a society where men and women can have fat sucked out of their ass and injected into their lips, but when they inject a medicine that is perfectly legal in many countries, they're just considered villains."

Another reader added: "Steroid users want the same rights to do things to their bodies that millions and millions of other Americans have: The right to augment their bodies."

Maybe. But the purpose of strength training is to avoid injury. Dopers who get too big for their frames contravene that purpose by increasing it. I asked a close friend who trains famous boxers and dancers if there was ever a circumstance where he could imagine recommending steroids. Flat-out, he said no.

Still, what struck me from the volume of mail was how rampant 'roid use is today, and how loyal (or is it addicted?) its users are. Maybe my critics are right. Maybe I'm hopelessly behind the curve. At least, I was beginning to come around to that view when I got to this missive from Dana Johnson:

"If a guy who can make $20 million per year wants to use steroids, and his dosages and necessary medical monitoring is okay with a physician, who cares?" he asked. "If the public doesn't like it, let 'em stop living vicariously through these guys."

That made me remember why the whole thing made me queasy in the first place. When we become that blasé about doping, we lose our capacity to get angry about cheating. Sorry folks. No matter how "safe" steroids get, it's just not worth it.
    -Seenbad

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Delighted Romeo:
    to lose Austin would be devastating to the WWE.
    How? They'd lose a worker that is advanced in age, battered, and refuses to put anyone else over.

In his place they have such new workers like Edge, Rob Van Dam, and a newly face Booker T that, I promise you, will light things up and be the biggest thing since the Rock.

Losing Austin would lose the hardcore redneck fanbase that still loves to see him stun everyone without a reason and yell what after every comment. Face it, Austin's ring persona is a played out ass. He's on his way out and refuses to accept it.

And that's the bottom line, 'cause Vince McMahon said so.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You make some good points, Stuff No More. That's why I would actually be happy personally if Austin was gone permanently, and I was open about my lack of enthusiasm for the SCSA character in my earlier posts. The past six months or so has seen Austin put himself above the best interests of the company, as his stubbornness helped to kill the nWo angle when Hogan, Nash and Hall entered the WWF/WWE earlier this year, and he's nixed several other interesting storylines. Plus, you are right on about Austin refusing to job to anyone, especially when it could help to elevate emerging talent. The funny thing is that Austin always bitched about this happening to him in WCW and blamed Hogan specifically, if I recall. I'm just not so sure this is the best time for this to be occurring considering the weakening state the WWE finds itself in. A better transition from the WWF and the superstars we've all watched the past 5-6 years to the new WWE that will be the future would probably be the best way to do it. But if Austin's gone, then a good portion of the fanbase -- as inane as they may be for still cheering the same old Stunners and beer drinking and also chanting "What?!?" incessantly (which completely pisses me off every time I hear it from the crowd) -- will disappear and the WWE will wither, at least in the short term. I also would've liked to see the Stone Cold Steve Austin character, which was the No. 1 gimmick of the past decade, face off against the Hulk Hogan character, which was the No. 1 gimmick for the '80s and part of the '90s, in a PPV match. Then they could've both retired and passed the baton onto the younger talent. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]