Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Fenway Park – August 9th 2002
    Twins 5, Red Sox 4

My first visit to the American League ballpark.

To do Fenway Park right, it is a must to get down there in the morning and take a tour of the place. It’s pretty cool and only 8 bucks, can’t go wrong. From the street, Fenway looks like any other 2 story red brick building you’ve ever seen. It’s really that small. If not for the light poles and the bazillion Red Sox references, you’d walk right by it thinking it was some shitty warehouse that had seen a better day. This 50 minute excursion takes you through most of the park, Press box, .406 club, in the dugout and around the track ending at the Green Monster. I forgot to ask but I’m pretty sure the tour includes the visitors locker room, but since the Sox were at home, no dice.

Although I was sober (seriously, I was), I had my guard up wearing plenty of Twins crap, just waiting for some punk-ass Sox fan to give me some lip. Around Fenway, much like prison I’ve heard, you gotta “fight” back if someone attacks your team, otherwise they make you their bitch the rest of the day.

During the tour my wife was fed up with all the Ted Williams references and tributes. Halfway through she says to me, “I’ve never seen this Williams guy, but I’m sick of him already, get over it, Boston.” I briefly explained how the Red Sox have won just as many World Series titles as the Brewers in the past 80 years, and why Babe Ruth’s name is not to be spoken here even though he brought a few championships to Boston, so it made a little more sense to her.

The one brief minute I felt danger during the tour happened while we were on the warning track near Pesky’s Pole (right field foul poll). A visitor asked if the padded walls offered the players any real protection when crashing into them. The guide explained that it really didn’t, and players often get real beat up after contact with the wall. At this time I pointed out that “Terrance Long didn’t seem to have any problem with it on Wednesday night.” Instantly the place was dead quiet and fire shot through the eyes of all in earshot of my comment. (Two nights before, with 2 on, 2 out in the 9th, Manny Ramirez hit a would be game winning home run to right field that Oakland’s Terrence Long ran down and caught as it was clearing the fence.) Keep in mind; I was taking my share of Twins cracks all morning. Payback, baby.

As game time approached, we I settled in a local watering hole across the street from the park. There were actually a handful of Twins fans on hand, so we commingled as if we had just found the only other Americans in Baghdad. By this time the street was buzzing, the type of hype you can’t get in Milwaukee for two reasons; one, everybody is scattered throughout the parking lots tailgating, and two, the Brewers stink.

You walk into the old musty building and you just know this will be special way to spend your night. It really is an experience all baseball fans should participate in once in their lives. Since they only have one concourse, all the excitement is bottled up in one big “relatively speaking” hallway. We had decent seats down the right field line just beyond the right field pole and before the turn that defines the 5 ft. right field fence. Being 7 rows up, I felt like I was right on the field. Very cool. The seats weren’t as tiny as I was told, but how they fit 34,000 in this place is because of one thing, no leg room. Some of you with knee problems may want to invest in some kneepads before your trip to Fenway, because they’ll be resting against the seat in front of you for 3 hours.

I must point out that almost all of the Red Sox fans I met were totally cool, really into baseball and respected the game. However, in what appears to be ever increasing number of 20 somethings who just wanna get drunk, be loud, be seen, not really watch the game and shout “Yankees Suck” whenever possible. I witnessed 5 ejections of these folks during the game within two sections of my seat. One guy in the 6th inning just went up to the Twins bullpen and started listing all the obscenities he learned over the years to the Twins staff. (I must also point out outside of that night, every Bostonian we met on our trip were super cool to us and extremely polite.)

It was a topsy-turvy game; the Twins had a couple web gem worthy double plays. Nomar hit one out and the Twins prevailed. Truly, it was a great game to witness.

On our way back to the subway, any drunk Red Sox fan who saw my jersey yelled “Minnesota Sucks” at the top of there lungs right in front of me. I just smiled and let them know which of the 2 teams that played this evening won, and who was in first place. It was all good.

All in all I thought Fenway was a damn cool place, but I gotta give the edge to Wrigley Field as the classic ballpark. They’ve done a better job of remodeling in Chicago with concessions, restrooms, views and seats that are more baseball friendly, as is the neighborhood.
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 07:08 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

Amen to that. Been to Fenway twice and, besides Wrigley, it's one of the greatest ballparks in the world. A great place to see a game. And if you REALLY wanna see Boston's finest in their best form, check out a game when the hated Yankees are in town. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 965 Times in 386 Posts

glad you had fun man! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

but just so you know, yankee stadium is the ballpark in the AL. fenway is gorgeous though

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    The yanks are the AL franchise, but Yankee Stadium gets a lower mark because it's less intimate than Fenway, IMHO. I wouldn't think of going to Red Sox / Yankees game in Boston, not unless I didn't care about watching the game, which I wouldn't since both teams suck. If I was lit up and interested in going to jail, then for sure I'd go! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011