Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Two Men Arrested in Sniper Case

By ALLEN BREED, Associated Press Writer

FREDERICK, Md. (AP) - Two men wanted for questioning in the wave of deadly sniper attacks were arrested early Thursday after they were found sleeping in their car at a Maryland rest stop, authorities said.

The arrests came amid a flurry of activity in the investigation of the attacks that have killed 10 people and wounded three others since Oct. 2.

The break occurred hours after authorities descended on a home in Tacoma, Wash., that was believed to hold clues important to the investigation. They then issued a nationwide alert for the car, spotted by a motorist and an attendant at the rest stop.

Members of the sniper task force arrested the men without incident at 3:19 a.m. off I-70 in Frederick County, Md., about 50 miles northwest of the nation's capital, said Larry Scott, an agent for the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

The men were arrested in a car that matched a description police gave at a midnight press briefing, said Maj. Greg Shipley, a spokesman for the Maryland State Police.

"I don't know what their reaction was," Shipley said. "It wasn't an aggressive one."

Montgomery County Police Chief Charles Moose, who is leading the investigation, said John Allen Muhammad, 42, was being sought for questioning in the slayings and called him "armed and dangerous." Muhammad was said to be traveling with a juvenile, identified by a law enforcement source as 17-year-old Lee Malvo.

The relationship between Muhammad, who also goes by the name John Allen Williams, and the teen was not clear, but several newspapers reported that Malvo is Muhammad's stepson.

A law enforcement source close to the investigation told The Associated Press that "I'm confident that these are indeed the people" sought in the killings.

"The evidence is all there and because of things we've received in the communications," the source said on the condition on anonymity. "It fits together with evidence they've collected in the last couple days."

Several federal sources told the Seattle Times that Muhammad and Malvo may have been motivated by anti-American sentiments in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks. Both were known to speak sympathetically about the men who hijacked jetliners over Washington, New York and Pennsylvania, the sources said.

But neither man was believed to be associated with the al-Qaida terrorist network, sources said.

The Times reported that Muhammed was stationed at Fort Lewis outside Tacoma in the 1980s, served in the Gulf War (news - web sites) and was later stationed at Fort Ord, Calif. Malvo, who authorities said is a citizen of Jamaica, attended high school in Bellingham, Wash., last year.

Shipley said the men were being transported to Montgomery County, where the investigation is based.

The witnesses at the rest stop called police at 1 a.m. after they spotted the men sleeping inside one of the cars sought in the investigation — a blue 1990 Chevrolet Caprice.

Moose had cautioned that it shouldn't be assumed Muhammad is involved in any of the shootings that have stricken the Washington area since Oct. 2.

On Wednesday, authorities opened two new avenues in the investigation: FBI (news - web sites) agents spent hours at the Tacoma home, eventually carting away a tree stump from the yard and other potential evidence in a U-Haul truck.

And in Montgomery, Ala., Mayor Bobby Bright said federal authorities were investigating whether a fatal shooting there last month was linked to the sniper.

Bright said a caller to the sniper investigation tip line apparently claimed responsibility for the sniper shootings and the Montgomery shooting Sept. 21. One woman was killed and another wounded.

A law enforcement source told the AP that police found a piece of paper at the scene of the Alabama shooting that bore Malvo's fingerprints. Police then traced Malvo to the Tacoma home, where he had been living with Williams, a source told the AP.

Late Wednesday night, Moose held a media briefing here he issued his latest cryptic message in his ongoing dialogue with the sniper.

"You have indicated that you want us to do and say certain things. You've asked us to say, 'We have caught the sniper like a duck in a noose.' We understand that hearing us say this is important to you," Moose said.

He also expressed frustration at the failure to make contact despite the sniper's repeated attempts through "notes, indirect messages and calls to other jurisdictions." He asked the sniper to call.

A Fort Lewis spokesman did not return a call for comment on whether Muhammad was stationed on the base.

Felix Strozier, who ran a karate school with Williams in 1997 and 1998, said Williams told him he had been in the Army but did not say where.

Pfc. Chris Waters, a Fort Lewis soldier who lives across the street from the Tacoma home, said he called police after hearing gunshots in the neighborhood nearly every day in January.

"It sounded like a high-powered rifle such as an M-16," he said. "Never more than three shots at a time. Pow. Pow. Pow."

Dean Resop, who lives a block away, said quite a few tenants had been in and out of the home.

"Makes you want to watch your neighbors closer," said Resop, who has lived in the area seven years.

FBI agents also visited Bellingham High School, 90 miles north of Seattle, on Wednesday. Mayor Mark Asmundson told the Bellingham Herald the agents were apparently seeking information on a male teenager who once attended the school and an older man. He said both left the area about nine months ago.

___

Associated Press writers Stephen Manning and Jesse J. Holland contributed to this report.

[ October 24, 2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, this thing went down really quick!! They must have known who they were looking for, for a few days, because they acted very quickly last nite. I'm pretty confident these guys are the culprits. I'm just glad they're off the streets.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Look who the feds invited to a barbeque!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I HOPE it's these guys, but I'm sceptical [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

If it is these guys, they need they need to be tried in Texas to ensure they get the death penalty!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    If it is these guys, they need they need to be tried in Texas to ensure they get the death penalty!
    That's why I love Texas.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What do you guys think... sleeper agents? My buddy who was navy for 15 years says no way do these 2 guys fit the sereal killer profile.
    1) All had been caucasion (thats english for "whitey")
    2) All had acted alone
    3) With the exception of Ted Bundy, had been highly educated
    No, there's something just not right about all of this.
    Put it this way, & I'm not trying to fan any fire with this, but the guy had changed his name to Mahomad AFTER the Gulf war (could he have been recruted then?). Also, John Lynn Walker was only 1 of @ 3 American's found in Al Qeada ranks. How many could there be right here that we would have no way of knowing about?
    The guy from Long Island... Could HE have been another "sleeper" that just screwed up to soon?
    I dont know that I believe most, or any of this to be "true".. but it does make you think that there could be WAY more here then meets the eye
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I think it's spookily interesting how everyone had been screaming "white van white van white van" and the guy who called in where they were at the rest stop was in a white van!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Latest reports indicate that a rifle, scope, and ammo were found in their vehicle!

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Law enforcement sources say suspects' car had hole bored in trunk that would allow weapon to be fired from inside car.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by FH:
    Law enforcement sources say suspects' car had hole bored in trunk that would allow weapon to be fired from inside car.
    So they would be virtually undetected... Creepy, just friggin' creepy...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I am so glad that they nabbed those "alleged" diabolical maniacs. Everything I keep reading on CNN.com is making me more relieved by the minute.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    Okay, but what happened to the alleged white van that was seen driving away from what seemed like most of the shootings?

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by FH:
    Ahh. I hadn't heard that. My scepticism is waning now...

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by billy007:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FH:
    Okay, but what happened to the alleged white van that was seen driving away from what seemed like most of the shootings?</font>[/QUOTE]I heard they've been looking for a blue Caprice for the last week...