Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

We're about a year away from sending our first born to kindergarten and we've started looking at this issue here.

Public vs. Private schooling.

Both have their pros & cons but I guess it may come down to preference. What say you fellow parent Linkers?

Where do you send your kids and what would you say to recommend your school of choice?
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

school...wutts dat...i deedint kneed no schulin'

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I have one who just started Kindergarten. Both pre and K are at the same private Christian school. It's tough to afford, but we are doing it. I think its worth it. My brother and I went to public school. We are 10 years apart. In ten years I think it just went to shit imo. I want my kid to compete in athletics where people win and loose, not where both teams win. I want my kid to excel based on her capabilities, not somebody elses. What I mean is, teaching to the lowest common denominator. Smart kids get bored that way and get into trouble. What a waste of time. I don't want anybody trying to make my kid think that being gay is acceptable and ok too. It's not. It's a condition of sinful thinking and way of life. People are not born to it, they are learned into it.

I don't know how long I can afford to keep her there, but I'll do it as long as I possibly can. There is probably a good side to public education too, but from the research I've done, I'm having a harder and harder time finding it consistantly.

No offense to anybody who has their kids in public schools, which I know is most of you, and maybe me some day too. It just scares the hell out of me. I love her too much for that.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

My boy went to private Kindergarten, and we bought all the BS about private school that so many others buy in to. When he started first grade, he wasn't up to snuff with the kids that attended the public school. It took a couple of years to make sure he was back on track. He's bright when he wants to be, and he is about 2.5 years ahead of his class in reading now, but it surely is no thanks to private school.
    You'll find that you pay out the ass, and most, if not all, the teachers have some bullshit how they are so perfect to teach your little darlings. Truth is, many of those schools have high turn around, and many of the teachers don't even have a bachelor's degree, which means little more than minimum wage. Your dollars at work... Look under every crevice when checking schools, and get credentials from previous parents! Don't be afraid to ask.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I went to public school. In fact, I went to four different ones in 5 years...the perpetual new kid.

And you know what? I turned out OK.

But now I go to a private university.
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by seenbad:
    [QB] I don't want anybody trying to make my kid think that being gay is acceptable and ok too. It's not. It's a condition of sinful thinking and way of life. People are not born to it, they are learned into it.
    QB]
    Wow. I'm not gay and I sometimes feel uncomfortable around gays (not hot lesbians though ), but this is just a ridiculous statement.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Oh? And so I will presume that you have some grande explanation of why that would be ridiculous instead of just an empty accusation then, am I correct? Enlighten me with some fantasticly reasoned and well thought out response to why being gay is completely normal, and in the spirit of keeping within the topic of discussion, why my kid should be taught that way. And then maybe why YOU want your kid(s) taught that way. You really DO want your kids taught that way right? Because that is what you are calling ridiculous. Why do you want your kids to be taught that?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You seem very angry about this. Why is that? Very sad. Not in a pathetic way, but I'm just sad you feel these feelings.

Who said anything about wanting my kids 'taught that way', like there is some 'gay class' available in public schools. And even if there were, I would rather my children learn acceptance rather than hate and discrimination.

I'm not going to go digging up facts for you (which do exist) because I'm too lazy now, and I'm not that passionate about this topic. However, I'm pretty sure there is evidence that homosexuality is genetically based. Also, the fact that homosexuality is present in many animal species pretty much cements the fact that it is a 'natural' occurence.

I wasn't attacking you Seenbad, but when you throw a hateful statement out like that, you have to expect a response. Also, not to pigeonhole you or anything, but are you a very religious christian? Just curious, because it seems that most anti-gays are.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a public school teacher so my opinion is jaded but remember ANYONE can teach at a private school, but public school teachers need to be certified and have to be trained, so send your kids to public schools. Thats my 2 cents.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by strungout:
    You seem very angry about this. Why is that? Very sad. Not in a pathetic way, but I'm just sad you feel these feelings.
    I'd be a lot angrier if I didn't have a choice in it. Thanks for your compassion, but I'll be just fine.

Who said anything about wanting my kids 'taught that way', like there is some 'gay class' available in public schools. And even if there were, I would rather my children learn acceptance rather than hate and discrimination.
    You are either for it or against it dude. If your for it, you want your kids taught that way. If your against it, you don't. I don't see any gray area there when it comes down to peoples beliefs turning into actions and realities that effect people. As I'm getting older, I'm becoming less "accepting" of many devient behaviors, not just homosexuality.

I'm not going to go digging up facts for you (which do exist) because I'm too lazy now, and I'm not that passionate about this topic. However, I'm pretty sure there is evidence that homosexuality is genetically based. Also, the fact that homosexuality is present in many animal species pretty much cements the fact that it is a 'natural' occurence.
    Wrong. There are no "facts". At one time a while back, it was suggested that homosexuality could be genetically linked. They found that there was a difference in gay brains and normal brains. (I guess thats a fact.) The difference was proven scientifically, the reason was not. It was never backed (the conclusion of gay brains being genetically different) on any evidence and there certainly has never been a gay gene found. In fact, it was unscientifically and prematurely grabbed on to by the gay community, publicists, and gay activist groups, when it was announced by the san fransico chronicle some time ago (big suprise thats where the story broke?). They never waited for the conclusion.

Dr. Mark Breedlove (univerity california berkeley) went on to study, and has results out now that is continuing the conclusive evidence that people didn't want to wait for. Might be good to point out that he is not a Christian, since you hinted that Christians in general are anti-gay. In studies with rats forced into abhorent sexual behavior, they found changes occuring in thier brains that are extremely comparible to what is seen in the human brain. Get it? The change in the brain occurs after a pattern of sexual activety and thoughts are acted out, the difference is not present at birth, but evolve after a pattern of behavior is repetitively acted out

Your latching on to media flow and agendas of people that are not making the truth the top priority over their agenda's.

I wasn't attacking you Seenbad, but when you throw a hateful statement out like that, you have to expect a response.
    No problem dude. Response welcome.

Also, not to pigeonhole you or anything, but are you a very religious christian? Just curious, because it seems that most anti-gays are.
    Yes. Thats beside the point though. My point is, I do not want it taught to my kids that it is acceptable and ok to be that way. I don't think it is. If I don't think it is, then I don't want it taught, and it is taught albeit there is no "gay period" thrown into the day as you sarcastically threw in there. You have to know that this is in the school systems by now and read the stories right? The "Why do I have two mommies/daddies" books and the teachings of tolerance that go with them? Fuck that. It's the effect of an agenda of a group of gay people that have pushed this into the culture. I don't want anything to do with it, and I don't want my kids to have anything to do with it either.

If you want your kids to grow up like that, go for it. I guess you do (although you havn't said that yet, but you must), and thats your right. God bless America. I'll try to keep mine in private schools though. I'm just not diggin the public system right now.

[ September 15, 2002, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: seenbad ]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I thought parents were supposed to teach morality and give kids guidance with regards to what they're instructed in school?

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

My kids are in public school - but it's only because I can't afford to send them away to military school! No, I do agree with a lot of what seenbad said about public schools and I get annoyed as hell with some of the stuff my kids come home with. I think in some parts the whole thing has gone soft - though I didn't say so to my son, my wife got mad when I told her that to me, my son's B- is in reality a C. Where I grew up, you needed a 93 to get an A, 85 to get a B and on down - he only needs to get 90 for an A and 80 for a B. Cheap grades to me. An the school is just a bunch of portables - my kids can't understand why this irks me, but I went to a school that was bricks and mortar (though I went by it while I was in Maine for my 20th reunion and they have portables now, too) and my kids go to school in a trailer park! Probably shouldn't make a difference, but it does.
    As for the whole homosexual thing, I've given folks a chance to laugh down my views here before, so I'll just say I'd prefer it not be a part of my childrens' curriculum.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:
    I thought parents were supposed to teach morality and give kids guidance with regards to what they're instructed in school?
    Of course. I thought that was a given. But I think learning comes from parents and school. They are both primary contributors to the development dont you think? Wouldn't it make sense to not bring conflict to the table? With my views, would it be advisable to teach about how I think and send her off to a place that will argue that as the right way to morally think? Some other kids won't hear the other side and wonder what is wrong with my girl and why she doesn't conform to what is being taught. At some point she will make her own decisions about all of it, but under my roof, she will be raised my way. My way really goes against the grain of much of society these days. I'm betting that she will thank me for that some day. You nailed it a while back Mike, by telling me I should live in the 1800's. Your absolutely right the more I think about it... Anyways, why knowingly create the conflict for her? Parents do guide morally, but why knowingly send her to a place that conflicts with our views when there is another option? That wouldn't make any sense would it?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I go to public school, and I'm not gay. Trust me [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] In fact I only know one person that openly is in school. Trust me homosexuallity is nothing to worry about sending your kids to public school. Worry about stupid fuckin teachers that are more concerned with organization than knowledge. Let me keep my papers how I want, let me take notes where I want, just teach what your supposed to teach, and give the homework, quizzes, and tests.
    I am awesome

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

You have somebody openly gay in your school? Lordy lord...