Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FBI, CIA ‘should have done better’

http://www.msnbc.com/news/760369.asp?pne=msn&cp1=1

CIA Director George Tenet, left, and FBI Director Robert Mueller

June 4 -- Former CIA Chief James Woolsey says intelligence known before Sept. 11 could have made a difference in preventing the attacks. NBC's Lisa Myers reports about the new scrutiny on the CIA and FBI.

NBC, MSNBC AND NEWS SERVICES

WASHINGTON, June 4 — Seeking to “improve the system,” Congress on Tuesday starts the first of several hearings examining U.S. intelligence efforts and possible failures in the months before the Sept. 11 attacks. “They could have done better, they should have done better,” a co-chairman of Tuesday’s closed-door hearing told NBC’s “Today” show. Amid the growing finger-pointing, the CIA said late Monday that, contrary to a news report, it did notify the FBI about one of the men involved in the attacks 21 months before Sept. 11.

June 4 — Rep. Porter Goss, R-Fla, explains what he hopes to see from the hearings into how the performance of the U.S. intelligence community.

REP. PORTER GOSS, R-Fla., told “Today” that while some intelligence had surfaced before Sept. 11, it appeared there “was not a sense of urgency until way too late in the game.”
    “The intelligence community I think was ahead of the curve in the knowledge but not far enough up on the curve in the specifics,” he added. “They could have done better, they should have done better. And I think we’ll find ways to improve the system.”
    A key goal for Congress, he said, is to get federal and local authorities to “work better together.” At the federal level, he added, that’s not just the FBI and CIA, headed by Robert Mueller and George Tenet, respectively, but others like Customs, Immigration and the Federal Aviation Administration.
    Goss said Tuesday’s hearing would be held behind closed doors because lawmakers had to sort through “clandestine sources” and “classified materials.” Lawmakers hope to reveal more to the public as the investigation goes on, he added. Several other closed door hearings are scheduled before they go public June 25.

CIA CONNECTION
    The joint hearings of the House and Senate intelligence committees initially were expected to focus on a series of revelations that the FBI failed to piece together information that could have provided advance warning of the Sept. 11 plot.

But a new report that the CIA failed for months to alert the FBI that two suspected terrorists who participated in the attacks were in the United States made it likely that the hearings would be broadened to scrutinize the actions of both agencies.
    The report, in Newsweek magazine, found that the CIA tracked two suspected terrorists to an al-Qaida summit in Malaysia in January 2000, then looked on as the two men re-entered the United States and began preparations for the Sept. 11 attacks, in which more than 3,000 people were killed. The Newsweek report said the CIA didn’t inform the FBI or the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The INS could have denied the men entry into the United States, or the FBI could have monitored them while they were in the country.

FLIGHT 93 HIJACKER HAD VISA

• Profiles of suspects; leads being followed

Then, late Monday, a CIA official told NBC News that the agency had notified the FBI that one of the men — Khalid al-Midhar, a hijacker on American Airlines Flight 93, the plane that struck the Pentagon on Sept. 11 — had a multiple-entry visa on Jan. 5, 2000, the night before al-Midhar arrived for the meeting in Kuala Lumpur.
    A CIA official called the FBI an “archivally challenged agency” for its inability to find the CIA cables sent in January 2000, NBC News reported Monday. Reading extensively from cables and references to interagency phone calls from the CIA to the FBI, and from internal records memorializing such communications, the CIA official said the FBI was fully informed of the meeting, the reasons behind it and — perhaps most significantly — the information related to the multiple entry visa.

The CIA official noted that his agency was “not blameless” in this matter, but insisted there was “shared responsibility” for the failure of the intelligence and law enforcement community to place al-Midhar on the State Department’s terrorist watch list. “Either one of us could nominate someone for the watch list,” the CIA official said. “Neither of us did.”

CIA DENIES EGYPTIAN TIP
    In another development, the CIA on Tuesday flatly denied that Egypt had warned the United States of an al-Qaida plot shortly before Sept. 11. In the unusual, public statement, the CIA through a spokesman said “we categorically did not receive such a warning.”

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak told the New York Times that his government had passed along information a week before Sept. 11 that the United States would be targeted. But he added that his sources had no idea as to how big the attack would be. “We thought it was an embassy, an airplane, something, the usual thing.” he said. To discover after the event that the terrorists were going to take airplanes and destroy buildings, “that is unbelievable,” he added.
    The CIA said there had been vague alerts from Egypt earlier in the year about al-Qaida activity but none mentioned airplanes, hijackers, or a target within the United States. None were received in the period shortly before Sept. 11, the spokesman said.

SECOND PANEL TO HOLD HEARINGS

Members of the House and Senate intelligence committees were to meet Tuesday for private discussions before deciding on witness lists for subsequent hearings. During a public hearing on Thursday, committee members are expected to hear from former FBI Director Louis Freeh and whistleblower Coleen Rowley, the Minneapolis FBI agent who has charged that bureau headquarters mishandled the investigation of Zacarias Moussaoui, an alleged terrorist linked to the attacks.
    The Senate Judiciary Committee also will hold hearings that day focusing on the FBI, including whether new FBI guidelines lifting prohibitions on certain types of domestic spying could violate civil rights. The two committees will hear from some of the same witnesses, including Rowley.
    A White House spokesman cautioned against speculation about what law enforcement and intelligence officials knew before the joint intelligence committee reviews the facts.
    “Appropriately, the joint intelligence committees are looking into what information our intelligence and law enforcement agencies had prior to Sept. 11, and they should,” White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Monday. “But again, our focus remains on preventing future attacks on America.”
    The FBI has come under sharp criticism for not seeing a link between the Minneapolis case and the warnings of a Phoenix field agent that Middle Eastern men were training at American flight schools.
    Newsweek: The hijackers we let escape

The CIA has declined comment on the Newsweek report, but a U.S. intelligence official familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press that the significance of the January 2000 meeting in Malaysia increased after it became clear the two — Nawaf Alhazmi and al-Midhar -- were associated with an alleged mastermind of the October 2000 bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen.

NBC’s Andrea Mitchell, Pete Williams and Robert Windrem as well as The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No surprises here. Not to defend the Company, but the CIA was really neutered when the Torricelli principle was put into effect. It basically forbade the CIA from working with informants who have a criminal or questionable past. Now my question is, just what kind of people do you think can give you information about terrorists, little old grannies?!?!?! A LOT of CIA agents resigned over that little incident.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Alright!! More copy and paste, repetitive news stories!! Don't you ever add your own opinion?

They couldn't put it together. That was unfortunate. Doesn't anyone look at it as at least they had some of the info? IE, they're not completely inept and might manage to do a bit better next time.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by MikeL:
    Alright!! More copy and paste, repetitive news stories!! Don't you ever add your own opinion?

They couldn't put it together. That was unfortunate. Doesn't anyone look at it as at least they had some of the info? IE, they're not completely inept and might manage to do a bit better next time.
    I "think" the point of this article and the other article posted is that the CIA did not share their info with the FBI and the INS, and other agencies, until it was way too late. Perhaps if they had shared the information they gathered the other agencies could have been more prepared to do their jobs, and perhaps even thwarting what happened.

I posted the articles because they are important stories. But continue with the snide condescending remarks. My opinion certainly isn't as important as the facts in these articles and whatever facts will come to the surface as these inquiries carry on.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

My view is, if 9/11 didn't happen, theses same news outfits would be bitching that the CIA and FBI know too much. They bitch if you do, they bitch if you don't.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by xaminer:
    My view is, if 9/11 didn't happen, theses same news outfits would be bitching that the CIA and FBI know too much. They bitch if you do, they bitch if you don't.
    I disagree. I think if the CIA did it's job and informed the FBI, and it led to 9/11 being adverted, I think that both agencies would be held in a high regard by the public. National Defense and all matters involving National Security SHOULD be known. I doubt people would complain about them adverting disaster.
    When James Brown dies...David Lee Roth will be the hardest working man in show business...<br /><br />VOTE QUIMBY!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think sugar coating this whole thing by saying "they couldn't put it together" still warrents the attention this matter is getting. If I were American, I would be hoping not for a "might do better nextime" but for a "damn well better do better next time."
    When James Brown dies...David Lee Roth will be the hardest working man in show business...<br /><br />VOTE QUIMBY!

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Crazy Pete:
    I disagree. I think if the CIA did it's job and informed the FBI, and it led to 9/11 being adverted, I think that both agencies would be held in a high regard by the public. National Defense and all matters involving National Security SHOULD be known. I doubt people would complain about them adverting disaster.
    That paragraph is naive at best, and ridiculous on several levels. Had the attacks been averted before they began, the public would've never been informed of the nature of the threat. It's entirely possible that information would've never even landed in official hands.

All matters involving national defense should be known? Known by whom, and to what end? By the public? That's daft.

I think sugar coating this whole thing by saying "they couldn't put it together" still warrents the attention this matter is getting. If I were American, I would be hoping not for a "might do better nextime" but for a "damn well better do better next time."
    There's no sugar coating involved. I'm sorry I didn't use enough hyperbole to satisfy you. People'll dig and dig until they hit the bottom or become satisfied with what they find. They're too late to accomplish anything, as changes have been underway for some time.

Everybody wants to place blame, and they'll put it where they find it most convenient. None of that will change the past, and it'll only hinder efforts in the future.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Crazy Pete:
    That paragraph is naive at best, and ridiculous on several levels. Had the attacks been averted before they began, the public would've never been informed of the nature of the threat. It's entirely possible that information would've never even landed in official hands.

All matters involving national defense should be known? Known by whom, and to what end? By the public? That's daft.

There's no sugar coating involved. I'm sorry I didn't use enough hyperbole to satisfy you. People'll dig and dig until they hit the bottom or become satisfied with what they find. They're too late to accomplish anything, as changes have been underway for some time.

Everybody wants to place blame, and they'll put it where they find it most convenient. None of that will change the past, and it'll only hinder efforts in the future.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Ummmmmm so when a disaster happens we shouldn't know the FACTS why they happened???? Uh ok.....

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I didn't say that, did I? I said it would be foolish and dangerous for all aspects of national security to be public knowledge. You'll get all the facts that you're just dying to know, but it'll take time. People returned to playing politics about the issue.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everybody wants to place blame, and they'll put it where they find it most convenient. None of that will change the past, and it'll only hinder efforts in the future.[/QB]
    So what should happen then? I mean since you have all the answers? No one should be mad at the fact the CIA and FBI fucked up? Everything should be kept quiet and no one should ask questions? Because according to you, it's naive and ridiculous to expect law enforcement agencies to do their fucking job, and when they don't, it's wrong and naive to ask questions about it. It's naive and wrong to think that agencies like the FBI would tell us they stopped something like this from happening, so according to you, the only way to live our lives is live them in ridiculous naivety?

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Crazy Pete:
    So what should happen then? I mean since you have all the answers? No one should be mad at the fact the CIA and FBI fucked up? Everything should be kept quiet and no one should ask questions?
    I don't have all the answers--I'm saying that a feeding frenzy is rather pointless. Why would I be mad now that they didn't stop it? That'd accomplish nothing. The answers will come out with time. It's more appropriate to be focusing on fixing things now than becoming fixed on a witch hunt.

Because according to you, it's naive and ridiculous to expect law enforcement agencies to do their fucking job, and when they don't, it's wrong and naive to ask questions about it.
    When you make ignorant suggestions such as "National Defense and all matters involving National Security SHOULD be known," I suppose I shouldn't expect you to be able to understand my response to that. Hence what you've writen above.

If some people stopped flapping their lips about how outraged they are, they might listen enough to understand how and why things happen. That's just my opinion, though. Feel free to continue with your ranting, if it makes you feel better. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.07.13 @ 01:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hindsight is always 20/20.
    WB4LBJ

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My statement that "National Defense and all matters involving National Security SHOULD be known," was saying that people have a right to know when they are being threatened. Not that every matter of national security is needed to be known. I worded it wrong and I apologize.

It is obvious you think that people do not have that right, and you are entitled to that opinion.

[ June 05, 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Crazy Pete ]

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think the government has a responsibility to make information available to people when it can, and in a responsible manner. In the same way, people largerly choose for themselves how well informed they are. Did we see metal detectors and airport security as a hinderence or as a sort of warning prior to the attacks? What'll we think of them by this time next year?

They've made a series of terrorist warnings since 9/11. How seriously does the public take them? People largely choose whether they're aware of things or not. At the same time, nobody can see the future. There are people doing their best to protect us, all the moreso after their failure last fall. I don't blame the CIA, the FBI, or the NSA for the failure. I blame the terrorists for having a well constructed and executed plan.

Those agencies are learning from their mistakes, and shifting their focus. I'd prefer if they were allowed to concentrate their efforts towards identifying and confronting any still-existant threats. Instead, their top people are being pulled into election-year politics. The investigations can wait until a more appropriate time, when threats have subsided.