Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

BLACK SABBATH Biography On The Way - Oct. 16, 2002

A BLACK SABBATH biography, written by Rockdetector editor-in-chief Garry Sharpe-Young and documenting the most tangled yet creative period of the band's history from 1980 to the present day, is tentatively slated for early 2003 publication.

Over two years in the making, the book will include exclusive photographs, interviews (including those conducted face-to-face with the late Ray Gillen and Cozy Powell), full global discography and massive details on all related acts and musicians.

In conjunction with the book, Rock Detector is looking to include a free compilation CD featuring radical re-interpretations of BLACK SABBATH songs from this era. "The emphasis is on RADICAL," according to an official press release. "We are not looking for straight tributes but for bands who can give a different perspective on these masterly works."

Contact info@rockdetector.com for further details.

[ October 24, 2002, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

AC/DC To Release New Album In March? - Oct. 16, 2002

AC/DC are tentatively scheduled to release their next studio album in March 2003, frontman Brian Johnson told The Evening Post during an appearance at the National Ice Centre in Scotland for a hockey game. No further details were divulged by the singer, who was joined at the match by AC/DC guitarist Malcolm Young.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

KID ROCK, PAMELA ANDERSON To Get Hitched In Vegas - Oct. 16, 2002

Hank Williams Jr. announced to a Dallas concert audience last weekend that Kid Rock and Pamela Anderson are set to get hitched next month at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, according to the Associated Press. Rock, who proposed to Anderson in April, is scheduled to perform at the MGM on November 9th.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

SYSTEM OF A DOWN To Release Collection Of Outtakes - Oct. 16, 2002

SYSTEM OF A DOWN have set Steal This Album as the title to their upcoming CD of Toxicity outtakes and other previously unreleased tracks that span the band's career, due later this year.

"We had a bunch of songs in the vault left over from Toxicity as well as before and we've always wanted to do something with them," singer Serj Tankian told MTV.com. "When the songs were leaked onto the Internet in an unfinished and unmixed form, it made me want to not wait another two years to release them. It compelled me as an artist to say, 'This is not how it's supposed to sound. I want you to hear how it's supposed to sound.' "

Steal This Album, which will include between 12 and 17 songs, will feature packaging made to look like a home burn. There will be no CD booklet or tray insert in the clear jewel box, and album credits will be accessible only by inserting the disc into a computer drive and visiting a special web site.

"There's some really, really cool new stuff," Tankian said. "There are a lot of interludes, which makes the presentation more interesting than just a host of songs that go well together. So it's gonna give a different taste than SYSTEM albums. It's also gonna give new colors and [a taste of] things that might possibly come from SYSTEM in the future.

"Some of these songs are better than some songs on Toxicity, but when you're doing a record you gotta form a picture," he added. "When you've got 30-something songs and you're planning to release only 12 or 13 of them, you gotta see which ones fit together. So a song that might be great, like 'Innervision', didn't make the album because it didn't fit as well as another song."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

AUDIOSLAVE To Appear On 'Letterman' - Oct. 16, 2002

AUDIOSLAVE, the new group featuring ex-SOUNDGARDEN frontman Chris Cornell and former RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE members Tim Commerford (bass), Brad Wilk (drums), and Tom Morello (guitar), are scheduled to perform live on The Late Show With David Letterman on November 20th. The band's much-anticipated self-titled debut is due on November 19th through Epic Records.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Bon Jovi Debuts Strong But Elvis Still The King
    10/16/2002

(10/16/02, 4 p.m. ET) -- Bon Jovi debuted impressively on the Billboard 200 with its new, 9/11-inspired album Bounce, but not strong enough to unseat Elvis Presley, who's the king of the chart for the third consecutive week. More than 205,000 copies of Elvis's Elvis 30 #1 Hits were sold during the week compared to just under 160,000 for the New Jersey rockers' latest, according to sources.

Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora told LAUNCH that it feels good to still have its audience sticking by them and digging the new album and single "Everyday.""You know, to be relevant in the marketplace is always a great thing, to write songs that people can relate to," he said. "Like, 'Everyday' is a song that everyone can relate to. It's like, 'Hey, man. Time is precious.'"

However, Bon Jovi's debut did continue the successful trend for new releases by veteran rock acts on the Billboard 200 in recent weeks and months. Following Bon Jovi at Number Three is the Rolling Stones' best-of collection Forty Licks, while Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' latest, The Last DJ, is the week's second-best debut at Number Nine. Recent classic-rock acts enjoying chart success include Bruce Springsteen with The Rising and James Taylor with October Road.

At Numbers Four through Seven are albums that have seemingly been parked in the upper reaches of the chart for weeks on end--Avril Lavigne's Let Go, Nelly's Nellyville, the Dixie Chicks' Home, and Eminem's The Eminem Show. Xzibit's Man Vs. Machine checks in at Number Eight and the various artists' collection, ^^American Idol: Greatest Moments^^, featuring Kelly Clarkson, follows Petty's debut to round out the top 10.

Other strong debuts this week include country artist Keith Urban's ^^Golden Road^^, at Number 11, Wonder What's Next, by rockers Chevelle at Number 14, and hip-hop group Jurassic 5's Power In Numbers at Number 15.

Actress/popstress Jennifer Love Hewitt entered the chart at Number 37 with her album, Barenaked, followed by Heather Headley's debut, This Is Who I Am.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

STARMAN TELEVISION UPDATE
    The Continuum has obtained several details about the Starman television series in development.

ABC has ordered a pilot script for a series from Tollin-Robbins Productions, the studio behind Smallville and Birds of Prey. John Gatins, who wrote Hardball, is writing the pilot script, and Tollin-Robbins' Joe Davola, Brian Robbins, and Mike Tollin are executive producing.

The show will be set in Opal City, and like the comics series by James Robinson and Tony Harris, will feature Jack Knight, who becomes a super-hero after his brother, the previous Starman, is "mysteriously" killed.

Ted Knight, Jack's father, will be a character in the series.

There will be a "cosmic device," but it's unclear if it will be called the Cosmic Rod.

Neither Robinson nor Harris is currently involved, but that could change. The producers of Starman brought comics writer Jeph Loeb on board for Smallville and sources tell The Continuum another comics creator might become involved with Birds of Prey.

There has been no casting yet.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Audioslave
    -MTV
    October 17

Given Tom Morello's history as a political provocateur with Rage Against the Machine, it's not surprising that "Cochise," the first single by his new band Audioslave, was named after an Apache chief in the late 1800s. The cunning war strategist declared war against the Southwest United States and pillaged and plundered after members of his family were tortured and hung by the U.S. Cavalry.

But there's little in Audioslave's "Cochise" to suggest the song was politically motivated. The track combines angular granite-heavy riffs — a Rage Against the Machine specialty — with Cornell's howling melodic vocals, and the lyrics — which include the chorus, "Go on and save yourself/ Take it out on me," and the line, "Put the blame on me so you don't feel a thing" — seem to be more about shirking responsibility than about mass revolution.

The rest of the album, out November 19, seems equally unburdened by political content. Like much of Soundgarden's output, Audioslave are concerned not with social revolution, but personal revelation. And judging by many of the bitter and disconsolate lyrics, it sounds like the songs were motivated by a considerable amount of personal pain.

On the dusky ballad "I Am the Highway," Cornell sings, "Pearl and swine bereft of me/ Long and weary my road has been/ I was lost in cities alone."

The slow, lurching "Bring 'Em Back Alive" seems to address the confusion of being a former multiplatinum star in a new rock climate: "I was on my way to the center of the sun/ When I lost my wings and I fell into a crowd/ And they carried me to a hole in the ground/ And they buried me where no one could see and no one would be around."

The most pointed songs on the record address false promises and failed relationships. On the abrasive "What You Are," Cornell moans about a past romance that's left its acrid aftertaste: "When you wanted me I came to you/ And when you wanted someone else I withdrew/ Asked for light I set myself on fire/ And if I go somewhere far away I know you'll find another slave."

And on the weary, jazz-inflected "Getaway Car," he addresses a significant other who's giving him gray hair: "Settle down I won't hesitate to hit the highway before you lay me to waste/ And saddle up and I'll help you find something to drive before you drive me insane."

Musically, Audioslave is pretty much what you might expect it to be. Rage members Morello, bassist Tim Commerford and drummer Brad Wilk latch into one surging rock groove after another, and Morello's skewed, skittering solos continue to push the boundaries of six-string exploration. But instead of promoting a hip-hop-based agenda, Audioslave blend Rage's rock characteristics with the atmospheric, surreal rhythms of latter-day Soundgarden, glazing it all with Cornell's powerfully emotive vibrato-laden voice, which will be instantly familiar to anyone who's played air guitar to Superunknown.

While Audioslave's influences are surely recognizable, the band also roams new turf. "Like a Stone" features a shuffling beat, simple, ringing guitar and weary vocals, bringing to mind a hipper U2. "Shadow of the Sun" starts with a textural guitar passage and bobbing bass similar in tone to a Red Hot Chili Peppers ballad, and the soulful scat vocals of "Exploder" sound like Aerosmith.

And for those who miss the shimmying thunder of Rage, there's "Show Me How to Live," "Gasoline" and "Set It Off," which all provide the band's heralded attack in a new vocal framework.

Audioslave are currently coordinating a full tour, according to their management.

—Jon Wiederhorn

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bring it on Audioslave!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ROSIE O'Donnell and her pregnant galpal, Kelly Carpenter, are in swishy Provincetown, Mass., for Women's Week, an annual 10-day lesbian love-in. Between events like the gay golf outing, lesbian prom, safe sex workshop and performance by the Fabulous Dyketones, the couple found time to visit Toys of Eros, a sex shop on Commercial Street, reports the Boston Herald. The couple later made their way to a men's clothing store called Dirty White Boy to get some butch duds.

[img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

[ October 17, 2002, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Dennis ]
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

METALLICA's JAMES HETFIELD: Captain Crunch Lives! - Oct. 17, 2002

METALLICA frontman James Hetfield has posted the following message to the Jump In The Fire section of the group's official web site:

"[Right now, I'm] taking a break, [drummer] Lars [Ulrich] is arranging a song, it's an important part of songwriting, yet the most boring part for me. I am still there in spirit. While I open the fridge, and see tons of food, yet nothing to eat, because it always requires making something or heating it up, which takes 30 seconds too long when you are hungry. All you guys can relate to this probably.

"Last song we working on, big giant fat guitars with huge chugging and open fatness. Capn's of Crunch lives! The trusty white Explorer which is actually cream color now because of its age, still, rules the Crunch World. I have plenty of other fancy artwork guitars, but that one sounds the best. Sent [assistant] Zach to go fetch the Jose Marshall. During the recording of the Black Album, [producer] Bob Rock and I both got Jose Marshalls. He is the guy who hot-rodded Eddie Van Halen's Marshalls for the first VAN HALEN record, but mine doesn't sound as good as Bob's, or Eddie's for that matter. He did ours when he was really sick. [Guitarist] Kirk [Hammett]never got his cause Jose died before he finished it. On that happy note, have a great day, I have to get back to work."

[ October 17, 2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The Rock to Play Johnny Bravo?
    Friday, October 18, 2002 12:52 CDT

Warner Bros. Pictures has purchased the live-action feature film rights to Cartoon Network's half-hour series Johnny Bravo as a potential starring vehicle for the Rock, reports Variety. The film was optioned from Cartoon Network and "Bravo" creator/writer/director Van Partible.

"When the Rock mentioned to Neal (Moritz) and myself he was a big fan of 'Johnny Bravo' and thought it was a great idea for a movie, we thought it was a natural fit and potentially a great role for him to play, so we went aggressively after the property," said producer Marty Adelstein.

"Bravo," a half-hour series that debuted in July 1997, is one of Cartoon Network's signature original shows, and has been a huge hit for the network. The animated series is about a big-muscled, big haired sweet-talking ladies man who sounds like Elvis, loves his mother and worships himself -- and continually proves to be his own worse enemy.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

BRIDES OF DESTRUCTION: Music Available For Download! - Oct. 17, 2002

BRIDES OF DESTRUCTION, the new band featuring MÖTLEY CRÜE bassist Nikki Sixx, L.A. GUNS guitarist Tracii Guns, ADEMA drummer Kris Kohls, former MÖTLEY CRÜE frontman John Corabi (who plays guitar in the group), and vocalist London LeGrand, have posted clips of two recently-recorded demo tracks via their official web site at the following locations:

1.) I've Got A Gun

2.) Natural Born Killer

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Birds of Prey Ratings Drop
    Thursday, October 17, 2002 12:17 CDT

According to Zap2it.com, the second Birds of Prey episode on The WB last night came in at fourth place.

Wednesday's ratings dropped from a 6.4/9 for the premiere to 4.6/7 for episode 1.2, titled "Slick".

This might have an affect on The WB's decision this week whether they want to continue with the show. Stay tuned...

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

SYSTEM OF A DOWN Set Release Date For 'Steal This Album' - Oct. 17, 2002

SYSTEM OF A DOWN have set November 26th as the release date through American/Columbia for their forthcoming collection outtakes and other previously unreleased tracks, Steal This Album.