Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

New Line & DC Comics Team on Shazam! Feature
    Thursday, December 5, 2002 6:44 CST

New Line Cinema is teaming with DC Comics to create a feature based on the classic comic book Shazam!, reports Variety.

New Line is in final talks with DC to acquire feature rights on the 60-year-old title, in which mild-mannered Billy Batson discovers that he can call on the powers of an ancient Egyptian wizard, Shazam, and thereafter undertakes heroic exploits.

The "Shazam!" name is an acronym for six gods and heroes of the ancient world: the wisdom of Solomon, strength of Hercules, stamina of Atlas, power of Zeus, courage of Achilles and speed of Mercury.

Comics industry vet and Batman franchise exec producer Michael Uslan will serve as executive producer on the project.

Also in development at New Line is the DC property "Ronin," created by Frank Miller.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

YES!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I just hope they don't make "the big red cheese" too cheesy.

FH, any mention if "Mentor" will be in the flick or if they'll peruse the countryside in a big white Winnebego? LOL
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sounds cool, but if they give anymore work to the guys who drove the batman franchise into the ground, they're more stupid than joe esterhas.

ronin doesn't do anything for me, although it would probably work better as a movie, kinda like brazil. i'd rather see a sin city movie. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Ikeda:
    i'd rather see a sin city movie. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by FH:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ikeda:
    i'd rather see a sin city movie. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]what would you want to see in a sin city movie?
    i don't think they could do marv's story without going nc-17, so i'd pull for "a dame to kill for." plus, that's just a bad ass title.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

"A Dame to Kill For" would be cool, but I was talking Marv's story. Get somebody unafraid of putting some violence in a movie like Tarentino to direct and make it a "hard R" movie.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i guess nowadays you could get away with Marv onscreen. i think the bigger problem would be nancy and the rest of the girls at kadie's, much less old town. the censors would be okay with marv and his homemade "make a quadropalegic," bu they'd probably run screaming from a pair of bouncing titties.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I like the way Marv flew below tree level along streets in the original series.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i don't know early captain marvel too well, but i appreciated how he was used in kingdom come, and especially the late 80s justice league (giffen?).

what would the shazam die-hards think of an adaptation of the paul dini & alex ross giant size book? i thought that was beautiful, and easily adapted to a 2 hour movie.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

The one problem I had about Cap in the funny books was that they always portrayed him with an air of "buffoon-ness" about him. To me, he was never drawn with the seriousness of Supes or Batman.

I think the later books showed him in a bit more of a serious mode, but I wish the guys who'd done him back in the 50's would have laid off the eyebrows a bit. To me, this "comic" sense really hurt his chances of ever being taken seriously.

I'd love to see a flick where it's done with some attention to detail and "maturity" if one could call it that. I don't want a Tim Burton production of Cap and I don't want anyone messing around with his costume. It's GOT to be red with a big yellow bolt on the chest and a white & gold trimmed cape to top it off.

THAT would be a cool Cap! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Cabo touched on something about the Winnebego that reminded me of something. Do any of ya'll remember a Saturday tv show about Shazam? I do. They traveled the highways and biways and shit. I remember it being somewhat on the cool side. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Yep t5...that's what I was referring to.

Remember that old dude "Mentor" who went around w/Billy in that camper? They had that weird "magic orb" on the dashboard that Billy would lay his hands over and he'd then go to some alternative world to speak with the 6 gods for whom "SHAZAM" stood for.

I saw an old repeat of this show about 5 months ago on an episode of "Nick at Night" on a Friday night. Martin Mull was hosting the show and it was showcasing all these old & obscure TV shows from the 70's. Pretty cool, actually.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Perfect casting for Captain Marvel: The guy that played "Puddy" from Seinfeld! (He was also "The Tick" on that short-lived series on FOX) He's got the trademark squint down pat! I think his name is Patrick Warburton.
    The role of Billy Batson could be played by that "Malcomn in the Middle" kid, Frank Muniz!

[ December 06, 2002, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Patrick Warburton is the first guy who popped into my head too! He was great in The Tick, and there's plenty of similarities. Frankie Muniz (?) would be good too. Cabo was also right, don't screw with the costume, and keep Tim Burton the hell away. Marvel is not his kind of character.